GN vs WRX (4EAT)

Arthur-WRX

Hey All,

Just curious to what the comparison would be. I have a Automatic WRX and was just curious to how they compare? I assume the GN is much faster, but how much?

For example: What is the stock '87 GN's 0-60 and 1/4 Mile? I attempted to search, but I am still a n00b :D

I'll give you a seat of the pants comparison, not a magazine quoted pile of numbers.

I factory ordered the first WRX into my city...heck into an 5 hour driving radius. When it arrived I took it for a test drive and brought it back within maybe a mile. No torque at any sane rpm level, and I didn't want to wind it out constantly to stay in it's powerband.

I bought my first turbo GM and acquired the other three within a year, selling a 2000 SVT Lightning along the way. Infinitely more enjoyable to drive. But that's my preference.

I came across the WRX one day (the sale's manager's brother wound up with it) in my Typhoon. I raced him across a five lane intersection. I had him by 3 car lengths by the time we got across it. I hear nothing but good things about the Rex's, but I still don't get it. Great year round daily driver up here in the snow. Most any decent American iron puts them away easily in the Summer though. I think owners either don't realize or are afraid to drive them the way the magazines do to get their numbers. Of course who can blame them for not wanting to side step the clutch at 4000 rpm when its gotta get them to work the next day? ;)

Well, my primary purpose of getting the car was because of skiing (and snow in the city) and work puposes. So I said, what the hell, and got the WRX. And it does well for those reasons, plus its fun on the side.

But I have always been curious about the GN.

I pulled a 1.8 60' on my way to an 8.741 @ 79.65 in my WRX, with just a computer upgrade, running stock boost levels on pump gas. That was also with a 4000 rpm slip-clutch launch (very smooth, no dumping)

My stock turbo'd GN with a Thrasher Chip pulls 2.0 60' on the way to an 8.9 @ about 76 on stock boost and pump gas. On 100 octane and 20 psi it pulls 1.9 60' on the way to 8.4 @ 83 (all times for the 1/8 mile, we don't have a 1/4 track in Louisville).

For what it is, a four door, economy car-based platform with a 2.0 liter motor, the WRX is a marvel.

The automatic is a dog. A slightly modified 5 speed WRX (meaning just a computer tweak) can beat a stock Turbo Regal, any stock Mustang (aside from the new Cobras), and any stock pre-LS1 GM product.

However, you start modifying cars with much larger engines, the margin disappears quite quickly.

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY
A slightly modified 5 speed WRX (meaning just a computer tweak) can beat a stock Turbo Regal, any stock Mustang (aside from the new Cobras), and ***any stock pre-LS1 GM product.***

You aren't too familiar with TTAs or Syclones are you. ;)

At any rate Rex's are great daily drivers if you don't need too much room. Just not what I'd pile money into as a toy. Again that's just me.

The automatic is a dog. A slightly modified 5 speed WRX (meaning just a computer tweak) can beat a stock Turbo Regal, any stock Mustang (aside from the new Cobras), and any stock pre-LS1 GM product.

thats a pretty bold statement saying it will beat any pre-LS1 GM product!!!

what you must have ment was any 1990 and up GM product except for the LT-4 VETTE , ZR-1 VETTE, SY, TY, AND CALLAWAY VETTE!!

if you think a slightly modded WRX will beat a 1970 LS6 chevelle, your on crack!
2 of my best friends own WRX'S and they are not anywhere close to the power of a 60's and 70's muscle car...

peace

BRYAN

You're talking about slightly modify like your WRX , my white Turbo T had only a PitBull chip with( 30 pds injectors , Stock Intercooler ), raised fuel pressure,dual exhaust, no Cat and some Tuning , with Drag Radials. I would pulled 5 cars anytime on a Trans AM Ls1 , the new ones and about the same on a Viper . All the WRX owners around my place did'nt even want to try me at that time. ;)

I haven't invested too much into my rex yet. Mostly suspension and gauges. I have figured since it is a auto, then it would take butt-loads to invest to make it compete. It would take probably a turbo-back exhaust to have it compete with the 5-speed WRX.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

i heard the trannies in the wrx's are not very good...did they ever fix that in the 03 model? i know the pre 03 models were known to have tranny probs...none the less they are pretty quick cars stock that's for sure...high 13's to low 14's i believe and AWD...i bet those things launch like a cannon ball from a stop

Originally posted by d0n_3d
i heard the trannies in the wrx's are not very good...did they ever fix that in the 03 model? i know the pre 03 models were known to have tranny probs...none the less they are pretty quick cars stock that's for sure...high 13's to low 14's i believe and AWD...i bet those things launch like a cannon ball from a stop

My tranny has had only one prob and it was the rear-diff. One automatic's it was common for the rear-diff to have noise. So the dealer replaced it with out a problem.

As for taking off, I do have a auto, so if I brake-torque launch it, then it gets up and goes pretty quick.....but top end, it sucks rocks!

I pulled a 1.8 60' on my way to an 8.741 @ 79.65 in my WRX, with just a computer upgrade, running stock boost levels on pump gas. That was also with a 4000 rpm slip-clutch launch (very smooth, no dumping)

My stock turbo'd GN with a Thrasher Chip pulls 2.0 60' on the way to an 8.9 @ about 76 on stock boost and pump gas. On 100 octane and 20 psi it pulls 1.9 60' on the way to 8.4 @ 83 (all times for the 1/8 mile, we don't have a 1/4 track in Louisville).

For what it is, a four door, economy car-based platform with a 2.0 liter motor, the WRX is a marvel.

However, you start modifying cars with much larger engines, the margin disappears quite quickly.

I am running a 8.30 @ 85 mph with a 1.85 60' in my TTA. Check my mods below.

Sorry but a computer tweaked WRX will not even take a well driven LT1 camaro, maybe out of the hole but by 3rd gear its over. Even the 96+ DOHC cobras will leave you. I guess if we are talking 1/8th mile like you quote times for there is some relevance, but in a real 1/4 mile drag race it does not stand a chance.

I have a buddy who has one. He is sinking a fortune in it. He has ordered a new 2.5 litre motor with a total beef up rebuild and a T60 turbo. He is shooting for low 12's. I guess you can make anything fast if you spend enough money.

I like the WRX. There's a guy around here that has gone deep in the 11s. It's a stock shortblock car. 60 series turbo, DP, exhaust, and all the other necessary stuff. On motor he put a good 10 cars on a friend's LS1. On the bottle it's a little quicker :) .

With that said, he's broken first gear 5 times and the dealer finally said no more. I think the auto might be a good thing. Get a higher stall convertor and I bet it would make it down the track quicker than the manual and be more reliable in the process.

Originally posted by cool 84
I like the WRX. There's a guy around here that has gone deep in the 11s. It's a stock shortblock car. 60 series turbo, DP, exhaust, and all the other necessary stuff. On motor he put a good 10 cars on a friend's LS1. On the bottle it's a little quicker :) .

With that said, he's broken first gear 5 times and the dealer finally said no more. I think the auto might be a good thing. Get a higher stall convertor and I bet it would make it down the track quicker than the manual and be more reliable in the process.

I have heard that also. ProTorque makes a good T/C, but then you also have to look into tranny coolers. Just seems like a lot of work. Plus aren't you risking the tranny then even more?

I drove my friends WRX that was an automatic. I tried to lauch it like i do the buick, but with my foot on the brake and my right foot mashed to the floor, the RPMS won't go above 3,000 RPM.. I let off the brake and the 0-60 was impressive but nothing like my buicks (it stopped A LOT better than the buick!!!) . I raced him a few days later and i had him by about 6 car lengths!! Just my .02

Scott

We ran a 8.05 @ 86MPH in the TTA......Mods: completely stock, with the exception of a Lubrant chip.

That's impressive to me. Also, the car has more in it....we haven't hooked up the turbolink yet.:cool:

Originally posted by FastGN007
I drove my friends WRX that was an automatic. I tried to lauch it like i do the buick, but with my foot on the brake and my right foot mashed to the floor, the RPMS won't go above 3,000 RPM.. I let off the brake and the 0-60 was impressive but nothing like my buicks (it stopped A LOT better than the buick!!!) . I raced him a few days later and i had him by about 6 car lengths!! Just my .02

Scott

In my higher altitude, I get up to about 2,600 rpm on a brake-torque launch. Its impressive, but not as much as I would like it.