You can type here any text you want

GN1R to Stage II heads.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cheeseburger

I am curious about the noticable hp difference between the two heads.
Anybody convert from Aluminium GN1 style heads to stage aluminium II heads?
Was the hp difference huge?
Just looking for some seat of the pants information from someone that has been there and done that.

T.I.A.:)

I am curious about the noticable hp difference between the two heads.
Anybody convert from Aluminium GN1 style heads to stage aluminium II heads?
Was the hp difference huge?
Just looking for some seat of the pants information from someone that has been there and done that.

T.I.A.:)

Duttweiler told me many moons ago that up to 1200HP
the stock type heads are ok. If you plan to make more than
that go with the stage 2. I am not saying you can not make more than 1200 it is just the point where Kenny said to use the other head.

Best regards,

BTW stage 2 headed motors have made over 1500HP on a real dyno, I have not heard any stage 1 type heads in that range.

Duttweiler told me many moons ago that up to 1200HP
the stock type heads are ok. If you plan to make more than
that go with the stage 2. I am not saying you can not make more than 1200 it is just the point where Kenny said to use the other head.

Best regards,

BTW stage 2 headed motors have made over 1500HP on a real dyno, I have not heard any stage 1 type heads in that range.

Hi John, Thanks for the reply.
I am thinking it would be alot easier to make (800-900hp)with a stage II head verses a stock syle aluminium head. Unless my thinking on the subject is wrong.
I was hoping someone did a swap to stage II heads and was curious as to how they felt about the difference.
Again, most likely there was too many factors involved (headers/intake etc).
Just internet babbling,lol.

I don't know who it is or any details, but in TA performance newest catalog it says that 1500 HP has been made with their Street Eliminator head. Someone else may know more about this.

Stage 2 heads still flow quite a bit more though.

I don't know who it is or any details, but in TA performance newest catalog it says that 1500 HP has been made with their Street Eliminator head. Someone else may know more about this.

Stage 2 heads still flow quite a bit more though.

A good set of stage 2 heads will flow 70ish more CFM.
Let me know if you can find a dyno sheet for that 1500HP TA Headed Motor,
I would love to see it!!! I know that Kenny has made good power with those but I have not heard in the 1500 range.

John
I wish I knew more about it as well.
check out page 16 of catalog on TA performance website.
Maybe we can find out some more about it.

some info

A good friend used his computer program to pick a cam for me once. I do know that putting in Stage II heads over my then ported stock heads==100 HP !!!! 548 HP went to 651.

I can tell you that the extra expense of stage 2 headers and intake ,cam pushrods plenum at 900 aint worth it . I run gn1s and have made alot more than 900 hp and gn1s work fine up till about 1200 and even then its turbo dependant . I ran the same heads on the stage 2 motor and the 109 with a 4 bolt turbo we ran about 155mph with a 76 3 bolt about 150 with a 70 tsm turbo about 147 is about the most you can make depending on weight . The stage2 heads rule for a car thats not limited by turbo or back pressure, big heads big cams are affected more than milder combos .

I agree with Laz. A stage one head should gross you over 1300 HP with the proper OVERALL tuning. My combo alone with a T91 could gross me 1340 HP and that's with small valve M&A heads. I have had a set of TA heads max ported and flowed for a customer and they do flow better than my M&A heads, as I expected they would. I'll clue you into another thing. If you want max HP numbers from a stage I head, you won't get it with the whimpy cams that are so popular with the Buick crowd these days. If you want to race, then by God, pull out the stops and go race.

If anyone is truly interested in my opinion on a tuneup question, they need to be prepared to fork over a lot of information on their car, the intended use of the car, and be willing to answer followup questions that may arise during the process. I can spend a lot of time working on a build up and it is a little discouraging when someone loses interest in the middle of my work up. It turns out to be a lot of time and effort wasted on my part. It would be easy for me to blurt out some generic responce, but that isn't me.

If your interested, start by listing as many specs on your engine and car as you can, the intended use and I'll look it over. If I feel that by the specs you have listed your serious about getting a real answer I'll get back with you. Please do this by email or start a thread and let me know where to look. I don't want to butt into someone else's thread. If you don't have good flow numbers on your heads, don't waste the time.

What do you cnsider good flow or good enough flow out of a typical champion aluminum head?

What do you cnsider good flow or good enough flow out of a typical champion aluminum head?

The most I've ever seen was 309 on the intake. Cant remember the Exhaust #'s. I've slept since then.:redface:

The most I've ever seen was 309 on the intake. Cant remember the Exhaust #'s. I've slept since then.:redface:

Chris these must be the ones with the moved ports?
I have not seen anything even in that ball park even with the TA heads.

Can you say raise runner head;)

If anyone seen a TA head, you can see the area for one to port it out to be used as a raised runner. Then the problems start on how to seal the intake to head.....who makes a gasket???? Or you can machine a groove around the intake ports to accept an O-ring. Then you have to find an intake to match the raise runner.....uuummmm Champion intake.

My TA SE heads flowed 270cfm intake with a 1.94 valve. I think there is some more let in it and then I could put the 2.02 valve in. When I bought the TA heads, I got 'em with the bigger valve seats.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

If I remember correctly there's a pushrod hole that could stand to be plugged and moved away from the intake port also.

Lets just say there was A LOT of work done to them.:eek: :D
CC

I would like to see any pictures also. Detailed close-up's of the intake and exhaust ports if you have any. My GN1R's don't have the raised runner that fits the Cometic intake gaskets but they do have 2.02-1.60 valves. When I ordered mine I didn't know that even was an option or I would've gotten it.

Back