GNX vs. Ram Air T/A

tracy

Okay, help me mediate a friendly discussion.

Which car is quicker stoch, a GNX or a Ram Air LS1 T/A - 6 speed

I'd say the GNX by a thin margin.

Stock meaning as untouched as the day it left the factory. I would put my money on the T/A. A lot of LS1 cars are running very low 13's and some have gone 12's with an untouched car and and a liberal coating of vht on the tires

I haven't seen any published reports of stock LS1's running any better than 13.4-14.0's. Most in the mid to upper 13 second territory.

Like most motors, they may get a little stronger as they are broken in.

Top notch pro driver( not someone that goes every other weekend) LS1, maybe.

Average guy that goes to the strip couple of times a month, GNX.

JMO

My 98 auto WS6 was quicker than my 02 6-spd WS6, even with a pro driver (not me) in the 02

Not all LS1's are created equal:confused:

not only that but a ws6 ls1 ta is usually fully loaded and very heavy. not a stripped out z-28 like Evan Emith drove in the 12s a few years back.

take it from me its a fact. My friend(a girl) has a 2001 TA convertible NON ram air automatic with 2.73 rear. Hows 13.4 in a quarter grab ya? Head stock right dowen to its paper air cleaner. This a fact not fiction..

Originally posted by tracy
I haven't seen any published reports of stock LS1's running any better than 13.4-14.0's. Most in the mid to upper 13 second territory.

Like most motors, they may get a little stronger as they are broken in.

what really matters is your elevation. up at bandimere, 5800 feet, those ta's arent' very fast. i knew someone who ran a low 14, missed 3rd, its still fast but not gnx fast. altitude affects turbo cars much less than na cars. a stock gn up here would beat a ram ait ta, it would be close, but i would put my money on the gn.

IMO
Stock for stock...1/4 would be close...but in a race on the street (cold weather temps)...the GNX would hand the LS-1 its ass.

Are you talking magazine times, or real world times? I've seen more stock LS1's run low 13's than I can shake a stick at. Most magazines can't seem to drive them out of their own way. At low altitude, all things being equal, I'd say it would come down to a driver's race. At anything above 2500 feet, I'd give it to the GNX. My old 99 Formula lost .2 going from a 1100 foot track to a 2200 foot track here in Vegas.

Peter

I agree with Nearing. There are vast differences between them even when optioned the same. I have owned 3 F-Bodys and driven many more and have experienced it.

I have never owned a GNX but I do know enough about them to make a fair comparison. I would have to go with the WS6 for the win. I have owned 2 4th gen F Bods and have driven many more including a 01' WS6 A4 and a 98 Formula M6 that my Ex Girlfriend owns and I just would have to go with the TA, Both the GNX & TA are bad azz cars though.

Having owned a Turbo-T and now owning a 1999 Camaro SS with the 6 speed I have to go strongly with the LS1 powered cars.

If you found the right LS1 I guess the LS1 would win.

From what I've seen and experienced at the track 1 out of 10 are the low 13 sec cars the others are 13.40-13.70 cars, not that that's slow.

They don't all run the same I've seen stripper hard top Z28's run 13'70's at barely 100 with a good driver and PIG heavy T/A's run 13.10's at nearly110 mph:confused:

I'd say there was nearly a 40hp(stock) diff between my 98 and 02
106.5 with an auto vs 104 with a 6spd :eek: both cars broken in.

If the 98 had had the 02's intake and tranny it would have come close to 110mph.

If the 02 had been an auto and had the 98's intake 100 would have been a chore:eek:

Both cars were loaded less than 100lbs diff.

:confused:

A stock GNX is a mid to upper 13 second car. Only difference from a std Turbo Buick was the turbo impeller and slight intercooler alteration.

Anyone who is worth their weight in driving should turn a LOW 13 second ET in a 6 speed LS1 powered car. My 1999 SS with a lid and Borla cat back is a 13.0 car and I have yet to lose to MILDLY modded Turbo Buicks. I have a raced a few stock GN's and it was plain ugly for them.

True, times will be all over the board for both cars. When I had my Turbo-T I saw slightly modded GN's turning 14's with minor mods so obviously this was due to driver error. With a test pipe, K&N and few other mods I was running 13.4's at 106 mph. Eventually had the car into the high 11's with PT-51, front mount, ...........:D

Originally posted by P.Henry
A stock GNX is a mid to upper 13 second car. Only difference from a std Turbo Buick was the turbo impeller and slight intercooler alteration.

Anyone who is worth their weight in driving should turn a LOW 13 second ET in a 6 speed LS1 powered car. My 1999 SS with a lid and Borla cat back is a 13.0 car and I have yet to lose to MILDLY modded Turbo Buicks. I have a raced a few stock GN's and it was plain ugly for them.

True, times will be all over the board for both cars. When I had my Turbo-T I saw slightly modded GN's turning 14's with minor mods so obviously this was due to driver error. With a test pipe, K&N and few other mods I was running 13.4's at 106 mph. Eventually had the car into the high 11's with PT-51, front mount, ...........:D

Well I'd put my friend up against ANY non pro driver and that 02 WS6 T/A I had DID NOT have a low 13 in it!

We tried everything!:mad:

104mph is not going to run a low 13 in a 6spd LS1, maybe with slicks it may have but I doubt it.

Rear suspension in a GNX was very different more like an F body.

Borla catback and a lid is at least 20rwhp, you're not stock any more:D

Not like this magazine race is going to happen anyhow

I have to say a GNX isn't a mid-high 13 second car. Having owned a TTA and read many comparisons between the GNX and TTA, I must say a GNX is a very low 13 second car. I have an article where there was a shoot-out between a bone stock GNX and TTA. It was a driver's race with the GNX taking 2 out of 3 runs. That being said they ran extremely low 13's all 3x and the TTA won after the driver learned how to launch without blowing out the tires.

I agree not all LS1's are the same. Same holds true for Turbo Buicks. I admit my SS is not 100% factory but I never claimed it was.

True, I forgot about the panhard bar, etc on the GNX.

Bottom line is I love both cars. That is why I still visit this site even though I sold my Turbo-T (damn I miss that car).

Still looking to buy a 100% LOW mileage (under 20K) GN with T-Tops.

:D

In a street race GNX all the way baby (if its in tune).

Sorry...lightly modded GNX, GN, TTA or Turbo-T vs. lightly modded LS-1...geez...I wonder who's going to win ???

As for the slow GNs (Turbo V-6s) out there there...it all has to do with condition of tune of the vehicle and a couple other factors (mechanical competance of it's owner)... Let's see how the LS-1 cars compare when they become 17 years old. :confused:

Only difference from a std Turbo Buick was the turbo impeller and slight intercooler alteration.

There was quite a bit more difference than just a ceramic impeller and upgraded intercooler.