Gnx X-ray

Hello Rick,
It was a pleasure meeting you in Norwalk. The conversation at dinner Saturday night was one of the best moments of our trip.

I never realized how functional the louvers in the front fenders are on the GNX until thoroughly investigating you car. I had no idea ASC cut the inner fenders, and relocated the relays that were mounted on the inner fender, so engine compartment hot air would escape through the louvers. I also like the little ducts that are fastened into the opening in the inner fender. These should direct the hot air into the louvers. Pretty cool stuff.

Picture provided....:smile:
I used expanded metal and glued it to the back of the retention ring. I also cut the back of the headlamp buckets to let more air into the engine compartment. I will add some close up pictures tomorrow.:D PS. I have the original parts.

Attachments

• DSCN1118.jpg
    DSCN1118.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,279
Hello Rick,
It was a pleasure meeting you in Norwalk. The conversation at dinner Saturday night was one of the best moments of our trip.

I never realized how functional the louvers in the front fenders are on the GNX until thoroughly investigating you car. I had no idea ASC cut the inner fenders, and relocated the relays that were mounted on the inner fender, so engine compartment hot air would escape through the louvers. I also like the little ducts that are fastened into the opening in the inner fender. These should direct the hot air into the louvers. Pretty cool stuff.

That was a good time… I am already looking forward to next year …:D

U must be the expert!

Awesome car,but also ...... ,dont get me wrong I love white cars ,but there are parts on that car that should NOT be painted white,Lower air dams ,bumper cushions,also the small vertical ones,,but love the car..:D :D

Ur the same guy that wears checkered pants, a Hawaiian shirt, black socks and white gym shoes....and ur gonna criticize! :biggrin:

Hello, I am new to the list. I was wonderingif you can put the wheel flares on a GN without hurting it when they are removed later? I mean are there any mods needed to put them on? As for the X-RAY clone on E-bay, I drove 180 miles to buy it yesterday and it is not worth half of what we had agreed on. Came home empty. Beautiful car, but was very tired. Smoked so bad and leaked oil like plug was out. I believe the guys that work where it is have beat the snot out of it over the last 2 weeks.
Thanks
Donnie

What kind of place can I get my own TNX badge made like your XRay badge?

I've been making one for a mold out of clay but it's slow going, I'm working on my 3rd one as we speak. I just can't get the lines to my liking, not crisp enough. :(

Hello, I am new to the list. I was wonderingif you can put the wheel flares on a GN without hurting it when they are removed later? I mean are there any mods needed to put them on? As for the X-RAY clone on E-bay, I drove 180 miles to buy it yesterday and it is not worth half of what we had agreed on. Came home empty. Beautiful car, but was very tired. Smoked so bad and leaked oil like plug was out. I believe the guys that work where it is have beat the snot out of it over the last 2 weeks.
Thanks
Donnie

Thanks for the info on the X –Ray clone…too bad the engine was tired… in regards to the wheel flares I believe the aftermarket flares do not require any alterations to the vehicle besides the hole you will need for screwing it in position. That is if you can not use the holes for any wheel well moldings you may have.
If you do put them on your vehicle make sure you use the proper offset wheel for you application, you will not be able to use the same offset as the GNX. I do not know what offset works best on the aftermarket wheel flares. So anyone please chime in with that information it would be appreciated. Regards

What kind of place can I get my own TNX badge made like your XRay badge?

I've been making one for a mold out of clay but it's slow going, I'm working on my 3rd one as we speak. I just can't get the lines to my liking, not crisp enough. :(

I do not know if the company that I used for etching my badge is in business today. I would search the internet for magnesium acid etching and see if there is a local company that could help you out. I believe this process is the most cost effective approach for your needs. Regards and good luck. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info on the X –Ray clone…too bad the engine was tired… in regards to the wheel flares I believe the aftermarket flares do not require any alterations to the vehicle besides the hole you will need for screwing it in position. That is if you can not use the holes for any wheel well moldings you may have.
If you do put them on your vehicle make sure you use the proper offset wheel for you application, you will not be able to use the same offset as the GNX. I do not know what offset works best on the aftermarket wheel flares. So anyone please chime in with that information it would be appreciated. Regards

Thanks for the info on the offset. Would it need more or less? I am in the market as I have just purchased my 87' GN. I want to save all the wearable stock items I can because the car only has 16000 miles on it. I was looking at 15x8 with 3 5/8 spacing for the rears. Should I go less to stick the tire out further? I am a PRO STREET guy who cuts up wheel wells to make um' fit, but not on this beauty. I have retired my saw! I am looking for an intimadating look, not a 20' PIMP MY RIDE.

Thanks
Donnie

I vote this as the single best Buick thread on the net, and probably top 10 of all time for any car. Thanks Rick for building the car and thanks for posting here!

Now, if we could just get Carroll Shelby online........ ;)

Thanks for the info on the offset. Would it need more or less? I am in the market as I have just purchased my 87' GN. I want to save all the wearable stock items I can because the car only has 16000 miles on it. I was looking at 15x8 with 3 5/8 spacing for the rears. Should I go less to stick the tire out further? I am a PRO STREET guy who cuts up wheel wells to make um' fit, but not on this beauty. I have retired my saw! I am looking for an intimadating look, not a 20' PIMP MY RIDE.

Thanks
Donnie

i have had a lot of custom wheels made for gn's and gnx's------tell me what size tire you have in mind and i can give you some good advice for both 8 and 10 inch wheels.............RC

a great story about rick and his car---------and i'm pretty sure he hasn't forgot about it------sometime around 95/96 rick had just put a new turbo, fuel pump and injectors on "xray"-------we were both staying at the hampton in BG------one evening we were in the parking lot tweeking on the car and rick decides he wants to take it out and give it a run----------as we were leaving the parking lot i noticed a cop car entering the parking lot going the other direction-------i mentioned it to rick and said we need to "keep an eye on him"----------we pull out and take a right turn out of the parking lot and as we got away from the bob evans rick takes off rather fast--------i couldn't get the cop out of my mind and i took a look back and saw that things were clear--------rick stopped and did a powerbrake takeoff-------as we were getting up to speed i again looked behind us and saw a pair of headlights in the far distance----------i told rick to be cautious cause it could be the cop on our tail---------rick says he didn't think it was the cop--------as rick stopped again for another "test" i noticed the car gaining rather rapidly--------rick took off again and we left the headlights in the distance-------rick stops again and the lights keep coming--------rick takes off for the third time and we again leave the headlights in the distance--------each time we did 100+ MPH runs---------as we were stopping for another run the dreaded "blue lights" came on and they closed on us rapidly------ i knew we were in trouble and so did rick-------we pulled over and stopped------the cop pulled up behind us and got out of the car and came to the window-------he asked "you guys were going kinda fast weren't ya"------rick camly says "officer we were just testing the car cause it wasn't running quite right and i didn't realize we were going so fast"--------cop looks in and i'm sitting in the pass seat with a scan tool in my lap/dumb look on my face--------cop says from the way you guys kept pulling away from me i would say it seems to be running pretty good, there is quite a bit of traffic around here and if you need to do anymore testing i would suggest that you guys go up to .................... (he actually told us a place, can't remember where) and finish your testing------------i couldn't believe it---------it looked like we were playing cat and mouse with the cop with 3 100+ MPH runs and he lets us go with a suggestion of a better street for test and tune !!!!!!!!!!!!!-----------must be the white paint cause i know that don't work with black paint...................RC

This is a Great Thread, it is very Beautiful car and I wish she was mine, and that was a good story! :) :)

p.s. Thanx I never knew there was also an inside air deflector for the vents as well. I've wanted for many yrs to put them on mine because I new they were functional. I guess if I every paint it I will. At least now I know.

a great story about rick and his car---------and i'm pretty sure he hasn't forgot about it------sometime around 95/96 rick had just put a new turbo, fuel pump and injectors on "xray"-------we were both staying at the hampton in BG------one evening we were in the parking lot tweeking on the car and rick decides he wants to take it out and give it a run----------as we were leaving the parking lot i noticed a cop car entering the parking lot going the other direction-------i mentioned it to rick and said we need to "keep an eye on him"----------we pull out and take a right turn out of the parking lot and as we got away from the bob evans rick takes off rather fast--------i couldn't get the cop out of my mind and i took a look back and saw that things were clear--------rick stopped and did a powerbrake takeoff-------as we were getting up to speed i again looked behind us and saw a pair of headlights in the far distance----------i told rick to be cautious cause it could be the cop on our tail---------rick says he didn't think it was the cop--------as rick stopped again for another "test" i noticed the car gaining rather rapidly--------rick took off again and we left the headlights in the distance-------rick stops again and the lights keep coming--------rick takes off for the third time and we again leave the headlights in the distance--------each time we did 100+ MPH runs---------as we were stopping for another run the dreaded "blue lights" came on and they closed on us rapidly------ i knew we were in trouble and so did rick-------we pulled over and stopped------the cop pulled up behind us and got out of the car and came to the window-------he asked "you guys were going kinda fast weren't ya"------rick camly says "officer we were just testing the car cause it wasn't running quite right and i didn't realize we were going so fast"--------cop looks in and i'm sitting in the pass seat with a scan tool in my lap/dumb look on my face--------cop says from the way you guys kept pulling away from me i would say it seems to be running pretty good, there is quite a bit of traffic around here and if you need to do anymore testing i would suggest that you guys go up to .................... (he actually told us a place, can't remember where) and finish your testing------------i couldn't believe it---------it looked like we were playing cat and mouse with the cop with 3 100+ MPH runs and he lets us go with a suggestion of a better street for test and tune !!!!!!!!!!!!!-----------must be the white paint cause i know that don't work with black paint...................RC

i will never forget that story lol

Yes I guess I was lucky on that one......I went back to the hotel rater slowly that night. Remembering that night all I can do is smile. :biggrin: THANKS RC