Good deal on TTA?

Vmaxkid

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of this. I posted on a couple other forums but did not really get a lot of response.

I have the opportunity to purchase an 89 TTA T-top, cloth w/ 47k miles for $11,600. Is this a good deal? Car looks real clean from the pictures and broker claims it is all original and very clean. Owner does not have any docs for the car and the RPO decal is missing. It needs a midpipe, paint on front bumper due to low driveway and rear spoiler cracked at corners. Transmission was freshly rebuilt. No mods.
Do you think this will be a true collector car if I bought it and drove it a couple hundred miles a year?

Definatley worth it in my opinion. If I had the money I would pick it up for a DD for halfway decent days. I'd be willing to fly out to look at it from the pictures. I really wish my car was cloth, and I think the cloth makes them worth about $500-1k more than a leather car. That difference will probably become greater as time goes on and the cars increase in value though.

I was going to hire a company to look at it. What should I have them look for in particular with these cars?

If I were you I would either fly out or drive out with a truck and trailer. The company might think its in great condition and you think it's in fair. You can get a cheap plane ticket and basically call it insurance.

My $0.02

Jason

That car looks like it has all the right stuff, in pretty decent condition. That is assuming it runs and drives as it should.

$11,600 seems like a fair deal to me, (maybe $1,000 on the low side). I know some on this board have bought a TTA for less (including myself), some for more (including myself). If I had the dollars available right now, I'd fly down there and buy it out from under you ;) Really, I would!

We're getting ready to build a house right now, or I wouldn't have just sold my TTA....:Asadday:....I think that car is a safe investment, with fabulous possibilities. :)

Go look at the nitty gritty details for yourself, don't buy it long distance. Doug Hauser is the only guy I know that that can buy long distance fairly reliably.

lee

Vmaxkid said:
I was going to hire a company to look at it. What should I have them look for in particular with these cars?

Where's the car located? I would suggest asking someone on here with a TTA who is somewhat close to look at it for you. You could offer to pay them like $100 or whatever you were gunna pay the company and they will have a better idea of what to look for typically.

with all the cheap air fares out there I would go there and look .. If it's nice DRIVE it home :cool:

Looks like a good deal to me, like Lee said I think it chould fetch a little more as is.

As said, taking a trip out and looking at it yourself is the best bet. I've bought two TTA's so far sight unseen and have been lucky with one being just as described and the other being better than described but I wouldnt suggest doing the same.

Steve

Ok ,here what I usually do... buy a round trip ticket (cheaper than one way) and fly there ,if you like it drive it home,if not fly back ,airline will find a place for you ..better hurry cause they wolves are hungry...

good deal

I think its a great price. I emailed back and forth with the seller about 2 months ago and probably would have bought it if I was any closer to me. Unfortunately I have just bought the same car with 49k 2 weeks prior.

The only thing that has me concerned is why it has not sold yet? Another board post from the same person interested in the car found out it had a transmission either rebuilt or replaced and it gave him some concern.

Here is the link from turbotransam.com

http://www.turbotransam.com/cgi-bin/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1557

If he is down to $11,600. I wouldn't wait too long.

But like I said before, Why is this festival car still for sale at such a good price?

I personally feel that a cloth festival car should bring $2-3K more than a Leather/Ttop car. With approx a 1 to 10 ratio, it really should bring atleast a 20% premium. And down the road, I think they will continue to make that spread higher as they go up in value. but hey, thats only my personal opinion. (and Lee definately has some more experience here).

So as Lee said, Go down there and check it out before one of us do... ;)

And Steve (TTA850), pm me when you get a moment and let me know where you are located. I am on Long Island also and am always looking for some other owners.

Thanks

If it's only a tranny rebuild thats holding you back go test drive it. Personally, if it was done right it would be an upgrade you wouldnt have to do.

Jason

Is 11,600 out the door? This car has no owners kit or real documentation. Is the number under the license plate? I asked the guy and he had no clue as to what I was talking about. Price seems fair though. I wanted a highly doc'd car with low miles and finally found one. :D

TT/Ameasap said:
Is 11,600 out the door? This car has no owners kit or real documentation. Is the number under the license plate? I asked the guy and he had no clue as to what I was talking about. Price seems fair though. I wanted a highly doc'd car with low miles and finally found one. :D

the car is what it is :p

Hi,
For $11600 and cloth interior, unless it's a wreck, jump on it. It doesn't matter if it is documented or not, as long as it's a true TTA, not some clone. I would have somebody close by check it out. Any of us TB guys would do that for a brother Buick guy. If they rip you off, they'll pay later. We all know that,and almost all live by the rules. Good luck!

Yep,

I went to buy it and someone got to it before me. After months of going back and forth with the guy he sold it.

Vmaxkid said:
Yep,

I went to buy it and someone got to it before me. After months of going back and forth with the guy he sold it.
like i said in the earlier post ,,,the wolves are hungry,,next time dont tell others..

BandAid said:
like i said in the earlier post ,,,the wolves are hungry,,next time dont tell others..

well that happeneds when ya are on the fence on buying the car .. I eithier want it or I don't and decide right then an there :eek: I think ya call it "put up or shut up" :p :biggrin: