Good sound stage.

ViDeo^_^kiD

I'm looking to put a decent system in a Grand National. The 3.5" are not going to cut it for good soundstage, its basically just an over-exxagerated tweeter. I want to keep the orginal appearance. So what would it take to get a pair of 5.25" component speakers in a grand national?? Do I need to convert the doors? If so, where would I buy it?

Also where can the 4x10" to 6x9" speaker conversion be found?

I want to run Massive Audio CK 5 & 6x9 Stage II Series components w/ tweeters in place of the 3.5" speakers. Along w/ a Memphis Belle 16-MCH1300amp and a 12" JL W6 V3 Wedge sub box.

Where is the best location to run the power wire through the firewall w/o drilling? or if not possible, w/ drilling?

To install 5.25"s into the dash would require some major surgery to the dash framework. The only other suggestion would be to purchase some Concert Sound II lower door panels and install 5.25" speakers there. You might contact G-bodyparts.com as they usually have them. Again, it's gonna be a real challenge to retrofit 5.25s into the dash. As far as the SAP adapters used to replace the 4x10's, here is a recent post where I showed pics and where to get them.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/car-audio/206468-6x9-speakers.html

Crutchfield also sells Q-forms lower kick panel enclosures for 5.25" and 6.5" speakers. However, you will need to relocate your ECM if you use these as they replace the factory kick panel on the passengers side. I drilled my hole in the passengers side floor board underneath the heater box as far away from the downpipe as possible and routed the wire up to the battery for my amp. Also used a rubber grommet as well.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

I was running Pioneer 3.5" speakers in the Dash, and 5.25 RF separates in the door w/ the tweeter mounted just above the door lock switches, Pioneer 4x10's in the rear deck (which I will be switching to 6x9's soon). With 3 pairs of speakers being powered by a 5 channel Alpine V12 amp. The Front stage was HORRIBLE. I ended up disconnecting the dash speakers, and am much happier with the way it sounds. ....So, you may try it both ways to see what your preference is.

Q-Forms kick panels here. Great sound stage, but I also have a 6 1/2 in custom door panels for mid-bass. Nothing over a 4" can be made to fit in the dash and most serious 4's would require surgery to the air ducts. Been there, done that. The kick panels are not really noticable once installed, so stock appearance is most perserved. Putting the tweeters in the factory 3 1/2 location will be garbage. Keep them in the kicks with the 5 1/4's.
John

Big midbass in doors behind concert stage grilles (A 6" or 7" if you can swing the cost that most 7" are) and a 5" and 1" tweet in the kicks, and a little equilization to take the edge off the highs, and richen the mid bass. No rear speakers, or maybe a set of mid bass only in a series w/ passenger driver out of phase, in sealed enclosures.
Thats what I like. Of cousre you could by my Image Dynamics horns and crossovers for $150+ shipping and mount them under the dash, and do a 6" mid only in the kicks.

Greg, I wondered when you would chime in. SQ competitors think alike.:rolleyes: :D :tongue:
John

Yup, Tell some easy things alot of ppl know, keep other ideas for you. (Seating positions etc):tongue: There is alot of high end car audio knowledge derived from the G Body platform back in the day. Me and you were there.

The only way you are going to get a good quality sound is to do custom door panels to fit an oversized 6" midbass driver. I like the tweeters on the dash so the stock 3.5" location would be perfect.

I personally don't like kick panels it gives a poor sound stage. If you close your eyes and listen you can tell where the speakers are comming from. Also the midbass sounds like crap in the kick.

The only way you are going to get a good quality sound is to do custom door panels to fit an oversized 6" midbass driver. I like the tweeters on the dash so the stock 3.5" location would be perfect.

I personally don't like kick panels it gives a poor sound stage. If you close your eyes and listen you can tell where the speakers are comming from. Also the midbass sounds like crap in the kick.

WHAT?! Wow, do we have differing opinions! :eek: Kicks at the proper angle make it nearly impossible to find the source, tweets on the dash are so directional off glass, it may offer stage height, but never image correctly. Mid bass drivers 90% of the time require an enclosure to be what they should be, kicks have little to do with that, its not where they are installed, but how in many cases. Where is important obv, but in the perfect angle they can still easily be wrong and sound thin. Most kick panels are not constructed well also. Q forms are nice, but not optimum in placement or materialsIMO.
6Appeal, you are a IASCA guy like me, what do you think?!

WHAT?! Wow, do we have differing opinions! :eek: Kicks at the proper angle make it nearly impossible to find the source, tweets on the dash are so directional off glass, it may offer stage height, but never image correctly. Mid bass drivers 90% of the time require an enclosure to be what they should be, kicks have little to do with that, its not where they are installed, but how in many cases. Where is important obv, but in the perfect angle they can still easily be wrong and sound thin. Most kick panels are not constructed well also. Q forms are nice, but not optimum in placement or materialsIMO.
6Appeal, you are a IASCA guy like me, what do you think?!

Sorry like I said it's my opionion :cool:

Back in the day kick was the in thing. Now it's died out. I am a offical IASCA judge. I only judged 2 competitions.

Ok on the the midbass drivers. You said 90% of these drivers "require" an enclosure? Midbass drivers are designed as a "free air" or infinate baffle application. These types of drivers require a large sealed enclosure where in a car application that will be in the doors.

Kick panels are practically open air not free air. If you noticed on Q forms it comes with a small square of dacron which is included to help sealed up the woofer which never helps. The kick panel never seales up under there. If you ever were to compared a midbass driver in the door vs the kick there is a huge difference in midbass frequency. These prefab kicks are mass produced the location of the drivers are never accurate.

But these are my opions some may say kicks offer the best imaging that cool with me :p I personally don't like it. I think the idea way on kicks is midrange/tweeter in the kick and a good size midbass driver in the door making this a true 3-way system if your mind is set on kick panels.

Newb question...but where on the G-body are you referring to the "kicks"? :eek:

I was going to put tweeters in the dash and 5.25s in the concert sound panel on the door.

"kicks" = kickpanels. You'd have to puchase aftermarket, such as Qforms. IMO, the sound bouncing off the glass is what made me disconnect the dash speakers. Most component manufacturers suggest placing tweeter close to midrange (or at least they used to)

The Q-forms don't look very appealing for the price they are asking. I would really like to have some components on the doors rather than in the floor board. My feet can't hear very well. :smile:

Who could I talk to about getting a Concert Audio package door panel set, or some good quality custom door pods? I would like to run 6.5" components if possible but 5.25"s are fine as long as they are properly placed. I'll probably put one set of tweeters on the door pillar and the other set beside the front components. Then another pair mounted to the 6x9 components in the rear.

You can check out what I want to run on this website: massiveaudio.com
look under component speakers

What are some good car audio companies that make really good speakers. I like massive audio, memphis, JL, Eclipse. Any other good ones?

**Do not mention Sony, Pioneer, Infinity, Power Acoustik, Kenwood, Visonik, Rockford Fosgate, Audiobahn, Jensen , Pyramid, Volfenhag, Lanzar, Pyle, Dual, Boss, Blaupunkt, Phoenix Gold, MTX, Hifonics or any other related material. **

I am a fan of Boston Acoustics.

The first GNX I saw (if it wasn't a GNX, it was a VERY GOOD clone) had door panel pods, looked like a 6.5" and a 5.25" with a tweeter. Looked to be molded in fiberglass and had removable carpet covers. Guy wasn't around, car was locked up, so I couldn't ask anything about the car.

You can check out what I want to run on this website: massiveaudio.com
look under component speakers

I think I remember seeing massive audio booth at CES. I was not impressed.

What are some good car audio companies that make really good speakers. I like massive audio, memphis, JL, Eclipse. Any other good ones?

MB Quart, Focal, Rainbow's, Morel, Dynaudio, these are high end speakers hard to beat the sound quality. These are made in Europe which I personally think they makes the best sounding speakers out there.

They look nice...but its hard to choose just by looking at the speaker and its proclaimed specs and handling cabability. Where could I get foreign speakers like that and how much would it cost? And whats a good way of knowing whats the best? :confused: I've never really heard of any of them besides MB Quart and Focal.

They look nice...but its hard to choose just by looking at the speaker and its proclaimed specs and handling cabability. Where could I get foreign speakers like that and how much would it cost? And whats a good way of knowing whats the best? :confused: I've never really heard of any of them besides MB Quart and Focal.

Just call around and check you local stereo shop and ask what do they have for their high end seperates.

From a simplistic POV it's hard to beat the sound and imagining provided by a set of kicks that contain the mid-range and tweet. While mass produced kicks are not perfect, they are hard to beat. And they certainly beat the pants off the factory locations in our G-bodys. I've spent numerous hours tweaking my kicks in my car, to the point that there is not much left of the original Q-Form panel. I will agree that a bad set of kicks can give a rainbow effect, but driver location is not entirely at fault. The drivers themselves are sometimes to blame either due to bad frequency response or sloppy cross-overs.

The average, heck even an above average consumer just is not willing to pay the price required to get the sound of the top SQ cars. And that goes for the install work as well as equipment. Most consumers balk at more than $2000 for a complete system. There is no way that they would pay $2000 for a pair of drivers. I remember some of the "blank check" systems from the late 80's through the mid 90's where the system cost nearly as much as the new or almost new car they were installed in. We must remember that Richard Clark set the bar pretty high with his $10,000 (not a typo) a piece custom horns and computer driven signal delay/enhancement box to achieve the sound stage in the only undefeated car in IASCA history.

Advances in speaker design have helped the infinite baffle mid-bass drivers become more "reliable" as a mid-bass driver. But, they still do not stand up to a driver in an enclosure for producing strong, clear, impacting frequencies below 60 Hz. There is no way in heck a good 6", 6 1/2", 7" or 8" mid-bass driver can "work" in any mass produced kick panel or an ill concieved/poorly constructed door panel.

Now, as far as kick's being a thing of the past. Man is that ever off base. Kicks have evolved to the point that they are completly customized for the car they are in. I've seen some taking up the entire floorboard, toeboard and kick area, while being completely invisible to the eye. With the mid-bass, mid-range and tweeter completely hidden and protected within the framework that has become part of the car. Gone are the days of just putting in a mass produced anything, much less a set of kick panels and winning regionals or nats, much less a good local show.

There is no need to turn this thread into a pi$$ing match. It will just come do to how much $$$ is he willing to part with to get the sound he desires.

Oh, by the way, I think all SQ judges should be blindfolded before they can see the vehicle, the brands used or driver sizes/locations. Why??? Because I believe all judges have certain bias's. And that no matter how fairly they say they are judging, those bias come into play. I've played the game before of "re-labeling/re-branding" my equipment and winning the next contest after not placing at the last, where the same judges did both shows!
John

From a simplistic POV it's hard to beat the sound and imagining provided by a set of kicks that contain the mid-range and tweet. While mass produced kicks are not perfect, they are hard to beat. And they certainly beat the pants off the factory locations in our G-bodys. I've spent numerous hours tweaking my kicks in my car, to the point that there is not much left of the original Q-Form panel. I will agree that a bad set of kicks can give a rainbow effect, but driver location is not entirely at fault. The drivers themselves are sometimes to blame either due to bad frequency response or sloppy cross-overs.

The average, heck even an above average consumer just is not willing to pay the price required to get the sound of the top SQ cars. And that goes for the install work as well as equipment. Most consumers balk at more than $2000 for a complete system. There is no way that they would pay $2000 for a pair of drivers. I remember some of the "blank check" systems from the late 80's through the mid 90's where the system cost nearly as much as the new or almost new car they were installed in. We must remember that Richard Clark set the bar pretty high with his $10,000 (not a typo) a piece custom horns and computer driven signal delay/enhancement box to achieve the sound stage in the only undefeated car in IASCA history.

Advances in speaker design have helped the infinite baffle mid-bass drivers become more "reliable" as a mid-bass driver. But, they still do not stand up to a driver in an enclosure for producing strong, clear, impacting frequencies below 60 Hz. There is no way in heck a good 6", 6 1/2", 7" or 8" mid-bass driver can "work" in any mass produced kick panel or an ill concieved/poorly constructed door panel.

Now, as far as kick's being a thing of the past. Man is that ever off base. Kicks have evolved to the point that they are completly customized for the car they are in. I've seen some taking up the entire floorboard, toeboard and kick area, while being completely invisible to the eye. With the mid-bass, mid-range and tweeter completely hidden and protected within the framework that has become part of the car. Gone are the days of just putting in a mass produced anything, much less a set of kick panels and winning regionals or nats, much less a good local show.

There is no need to turn this thread into a pi$$ing match. It will just come do to how much $$$ is he willing to part with to get the sound he desires.

Oh, by the way, I think all SQ judges should be blindfolded before they can see the vehicle, the brands used or driver sizes/locations. Why??? Because I believe all judges have certain bias's. And that no matter how fairly they say they are judging, those bias come into play. I've played the game before of "re-labeling/re-branding" my equipment and winning the next contest after not placing at the last, where the same judges did both shows!
John

I am not trying to make a pissing match either. I just see alot of ppl say staging and forget about imaging. You can get the right sound stage height by hot gluing tweeters to the pillars, but the image will blow. I have the same prob 6Appeal does in remembering that most ppl dont WANT a $2K system, and we cant deal w/ one less than perfect to our ears. I have many friends w/ $30K+ systems that say they arent done.(one has a nissan 240 that is appraised at over $300K,no typo, that most people wouldnt notice in a show crowd) A SQ person is chasing the pot of gold, and the real issue is in the end sound is perception to that listener. I have heard 6 speaker $2K systems that gave me goosebumps, and heard 20+ speaker $50K+ systems that didnt.
In the end, listen to alot, buy what yo can afford, and spend 2x longer on the install doing little things to make big differences, that makes every penny pay off.

I found where I could get Dynaudio, Morel & CDT Audio

woofersetc .com

And Rainbow audio

premier-audio .com

But is it worth it, whats so special about them? I dont see any set of components being worth $1000-3000.....maybe $500

Explain the word imaging?