You can type here any text you want

Good thing I decided to pull the engine......

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Amelio

Well after popping a head gasket 2 weeks ago at the Southern Buick shoot out I pulled the heads and was gonna clean everything up and re-install. I had a gut feeling that I should pull the engine just to take a peak at all my bearings and make sure it looked good.

Well I pulled it out and took it down yesterday and started my inspection....got all the rods out and the bearings looked pretty good, still had most of the white coating on them. I did see some lines in the bearing indicating a lil trash but you could not feel it. I then pulled the mains and all were good except the Thrust bearing. Something big and fairly heavy went through it, it had a real deep scratch in the center. After pulling the cam all those bearings looked good except the 3 hole back, it looked horrible as if a cat with razor claws went to town on it.

I dont know what went through and why only one main bearing and one came bearing got hurt?:confused: The oil pan was full of crap and the pickup was also full from all the material from the head gasket. I cant imagine the head gasket material being hard enough to damage the bearin? (was using the Felpro's 9441pt)

Here are a few pics's, it is hard to tell how bad the scratch in the bearing is but trust me it is deep enough to get your finger nail in.

Attachments

• Buick pics 044.jpg
    Buick pics 044.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 461
  • Buick pics 049.jpg
    Buick pics 049.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 463
  • Buick pics 050.jpg
    Buick pics 050.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 464
Just keeps getting better doesn't it?:biggrin: The last build might have had some left over trash in the block. I doubt that happened from your headgasket failure in Reynolds.

these cars will keep you on your toes and your wallet light but when they are running right it makes it all worth it!:D I get teased by my dad and uncle they say I got a zipper on it cause I can have the engine out in about an hour and a half....I have done it so much that basically if I look at it hard enough it will pop out lol!

yeah most of the clumpy stuff is rag material from the when I last built it but there are chucks of lead and it is blue....felpro gasket material. Im gonna clean it put new bearings and rings basically fresh"n it up....just glad I did not have a hard part failure.:cool:

Work on that 60, just went through the HG issue myself.

what kind of gasket did you blow? what happen? what did you go back with?

9441pt, before and after on iron heads, had fuel pump problems and went really lean. Gasket popped a few months later. Car had hundreds of runs between 10.7-11.5. Lucky for me no milkshake. Boost was around 25 with some runs up to 28.

Attachments

• DCP_1925.jpg
    DCP_1925.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 220
Back