Got a carb turbo torn apart and

all i need for my turbo is to get the rebuild kit and find a hot side from a 87 turbo. i was thinking about finding a 301 hot side so you couldn't tell i changed the turbo. like the fast class guys do (factory appearing stock tire) i just think it would be cool to have that sleeper look.

all i need for my turbo is to get the rebuild kit and find a hot side from a 87 turbo. i was thinking about finding a 301 hot side so you couldn't tell i changed the turbo. like the fast class guys do (factory appearing stock tire) i just think it would be cool to have that sleeper look.

I think you mean the 301 cold side Matt. If you use the hot side you're really gonna have lag.:eek::biggrin:

I think you mean the 301 cold side Matt. If you use the hot side you're really gonna have lag.
no i need the hot side for what i'm going to do. i need to keep the stock look of the motor and turbo. i want to try to run in the fast class or factory appearing stock tire class.

no i need the hot side for what i'm going to do. i need to keep the stock look of the motor and turbo. i want to try to run in the fast class or factory appearing stock tire class.

You're not SFI or 109 block so it won't work. Re-read the rules.:mad: There are NO rules for our cars other than bracket racing.:mad: I tried to find one and got shot down.:mad:

i have alot of extra motors i have picked up. my buddy is giving me the body to a regal of that time. i almost got it all worked out with him. i just need to find the 301's hot side to make it all look stock. no its not for the car in my sig its going to be for another car i will be getting soon. i can do rust repair and body work so its not a big deal for me to start with another car.:biggrin:

The problem you're going to run into is Richard Clark is sponsoring the class and it's specific to fuel injected cars only. I tried to get Richard to include us but it's a no-go Matt.

The problem you're going to run into is Richard Clark is sponsoring the class and it's specific to fuel injected cars only. I tried to get Richard to include us but it's a no-go Matt.
Are you talking about the gsnationals class? i guess i have to look into it more. but i still would like to find the stock 301 exhaust housing anyway so i can have that stock look. :biggrin: i found the rules http://www.fastraces.org/members/fa...641ea0eecc86e4048525728f00424bf5!OpenDocument i will have to look over them. the site may help out a bit. http://www.fastraces.org/members/fastraces/fastraces.nsf/top-menu-items/ghp22

i have another question for you charlie or anyone here where do you guys get the throttle bushing service kits at? i have a qjet that has play in the shaft and i can find the bushing kit anywhere. does any one have some extra bushings laying around or know where to get them. :confused:

Send a PM to Freddie. He's got a link for the tools and parts. I'm just checking my email before I go out to put the new shop together. Got posts to put up and cross beams to weld today if the weather co-operates. When I get through today I'll see if I can find it for you if Freddie doesn't beat me to it.

Are you talking about the gsnationals class? i guess i have to look into it more. but i still would like to find the stock 301 exhaust housing anyway so i can have that stock look. i found the rules http://www.fastraces.org/members/fas...5!OpenDocument i will have to look over them. the site may help out a bit. http://www.fastraces.org/members/fas...nu-items/ghp22

i have another question for you charlie or anyone here where do you guys get the throttle bushing service kits at? i have a qjet that has play in the shaft and i can find the bushing kit anywhere. does any one have some extra bushings laying around or know where to get them.

Send a PM to Freddie. He's got a link for the tools and parts. I'm just checking my email before I go out to put the new shop together. Got posts to put up and cross beams to weld today if the weather co-operates. When I get through today I'll see if I can find it for you if Freddie doesn't beat me to it

sounds good.

Got my new turbo in from AJ on wednesday. Swapped it out this weekend. Ported out the plenum and turbo bolt housing too. Ended up having trouble getting the oil drain hooked up and when trying to get the hose hooked up I popped my home made oil drain into the block. Had to fish it out and that took 1/2 an hour. Still not the worlds best oil drain but it works.

Got the turbo on and started it up. Had a wierd exhaust leak. Thought that the turbo elbow gasket that had a little cut in it was leaking. Turns out the threaded plug by the oil drain I pulled out in order to put a crank case vent in went into the EGR valve passage and it blew the filter I had on. Was wondering why it ran so bad, slow spool, real loud, would accelerate. Put the plug back in and it ran good. Ya learn something new every day!

Overall Im happy with the turbo. Has close to 9 PSI now without adjusting the WG where the old one would hit 8 and would be at 5 where the new one is at 7. Not sure if thats the porting I did or the turbo with good berrings. Got a lot more of whistle and spool is slightly faster. Hot idle oil pressure is up from 10 to 14 now. Cruising PSI is at 40 where it was 35 ish.

Now I just hope my oil consuption goes away!

New turbo
picture808.jpg

Stock plenum.
picture809.jpg

Ported
picture810.jpg

picture811.jpg

picture812.jpg

Could only put 10 pics in one post so heres part 2.
After pics of the turbo. Put it on the lathe and turned most of the big lip off. Then I just finished it up with a die grinder.
picture813.jpg

picture816.jpg

Stock
picture817.jpg

Ported
picture818.jpg

:eek:
picture814.jpg

picture815.jpg

Back to normal.
picture819.jpg

Man that downpipe is titties. I remember that damn exhaust port on one of my drawthru intakes, Occasionally popping off the plug that was drove down in it under boost, It did it a few times on me then I switched intakes. What did you have the valve cover off for? I like the look of no fan or shroud.

I pulled the valve covers off to fix the stupid gasket leaks. Every time I shut it off and opened the hood the drivers side exhaust was gushing oil smoke. The bolt loosed up bad. Cleaned up the cork ones and put some silicone on them.

Yeah im happy with my electric fan. They are some mystery nissan ones that came with the car when I bought it. Just run one fan and the thing never gets above 180.

Great! thats excellent news!

Im glad that turbo is working out for ya! I dug that bad boy out of a mooshed regal in Socorro NM. took me hours just to get the hood off the car cause of the way it was wrecked! LMAO

Im glad to hear its a happy turbo.

:biggrin:A.j.

So now my main hope is this turbo solves my oil consuption issue. I saw oil in the gap between the compressor wheel and the backing plate so I hope this solves it.

As long as it does my next thing should be an exhaust system. My flowmaster sounds cool, but its a flow on a turbo car, it dumps below the car, and is way to low to the ground.

Then it goes into engine work. Need to get a new cam, replace that stupid clicky lifter and maybe step up to main and head studs. Didnt replace them when I built the engine so I probably should. Maybe port the heads for real this time, do some intake work, and get some tubular headers to get rid of my cast ones. Havnt made a decision yet.