Got a Ford Lightning

BuickMike231

60% of the time, it works every time.
I was on my way home from the track last weekend and it was about midnight. I'm just cruising along at 55 or 60 with the windows down and I see some really bright HID lights rolling up. Guy in a Lightning pulls up and keeps pace with me. I can see a triple A pillar gauge pod and it sounded like he had an exhaust dump coming out under the truck. There was a car in front of me, the lane to the left was wide open and so was his lane. I spool it up and swing in the left lane as I hear the supercharger start screaming on his truck. I ran it up to about 85 and let off, and it took one or two seconds of me coasting for him to get back along side of me. I looked at him and he gave me a dirty look, nailed it and jumped over onto the off ramp, followed by three more Lightnings that I didn't see! I guess all Fords do the Mustang turn of shame and promptly leave when they lose. I thought it was even better it was in front of his buddies! Chalk one more up for the Darkside!

I looked at him and he gave me a dirty look, nailed it and jumped over onto the off ramp, followed by three more Lightnings that I didn't see!

Hey did you check to see if one of those Lightnings was Papa Lou? You know he could have been trolling around down here in Texas again ..LOL ::biggrin:

jk Lou!! ;)

I think them lightning are just plain junk. Yesterday I raced the one my buddy used to own and from 50-105 I was right next to him. Him maybe pulling 5feet on me. Oya I was in my stock Gtp btw. That went 14.60 with a bad 60' it's prob a 14.4 car but still, it's a supercharged 5.4l

I think them lightning are just plain junk. Yesterday I raced the one my buddy used to own and from 50-105 I was right next to him. Him maybe pulling 5feet on me. Oya I was in my stock Gtp btw. That went 14.60 with a bad 60' it's prob a 14.4 car but still, it's a supercharged 5.4l

Your car weighs between 3350-3450 depending on what year and options you have
His truck weighs around 4670 or so, basically over a 1000 lbs heavier than you.

I'm not a Ford guy but Lightning are good trucks for the most part and really good from a dig if you can hook up. It doesn't surprised me at all you were able to keep up with him from a 50 roll. You have more HP per lb of vehicle weight than he has. From a roll at that speed it is going to be more about hp/weight than anything else; simple physics :biggrin:

For a truck that heavy they are quick.... IMO :)

Lighting is a pile of crap for sure. Never found one that could beat my 87. Nice kill! I've killed several of them over the years. Those Ford fools keep coming back for another a$$ whoopin. You just ran across another Ford owner who thought he was fast! :cool:

I have to agree with you guys, for a truck it isn't too bad I guess but they can't hang with much unless they are really built. I thought it was funny the lead guy got beat and the other guys in his pack wouldn't try. Plus anything that gets Chicken's seal of approval is a good kill!:biggrin:

I have to agree with you guys, for a truck it isn't too bad I guess but they can't hang with much unless they are really built. I thought it was funny the lead guy got beat and the other guys in his pack wouldn't try. Plus anything that gets Chicken's seal of approval is a good kill!:biggrin:

Any kill is a good kill....I consider it part of doing God's work...saving the lost...
...or is it...the losers...?

Either way....still works...
;)

Good kill. I'm sure the lead truck was the fasted one of the three or one of the others would have taken a shot at you.

I am certainly not a Ford guy as all of my cars and trucks have been GM, but I wouldn't call a Lightning crap. They are actually pretty nice trucks. Just like the ricers, it's the owners that give them a bad rap. I agree most are easy pickings, but we have a few of them in Phoenix that run E85 that are pretty quick. I witnessed one run low tens in 95* heat that was driven to the track. The red one that made it on Pinks and broke his blower drive pulley is also from phoenix and claims to be able to run high nines. That's fast in my book for a street driven vehicle that weighs 4000+ pounds.

If your going to go fast in a truck get a modded diesel or a Syclone.. Anything a Lighting can do they can do better!!! Lightnings are like Mustangs to me don't like em!! JMO

If your going to go fast in a truck get a modded diesel or a Syclone.. Anything a Lighting can do they can do better!!! Lightnings are like Mustangs to me don't like em!! JMO

x2...:biggrin:

Try towing a 24ft bay boat with that Syclone.:rolleyes:

I own a Lightning as well as a GN. I don't race trucks with my car or cars with my truck. Bragging about beating a pickup truck with your car is like bragging about beating a car with a crotch-rocket. Yes I also have a crotch-rocket. Whats next? Bragging about beating farm equipment? I guess I shouldn't lecture given that my first kill in my GN was a garbage truck. I wore his azz out too.

Try towing a 24ft bay boat with that Syclone.:rolleyes:

I own a Lightning as well as a GN. I don't race trucks with my car or cars with my truck. Bragging about beating a pickup truck with your car is like bragging about beating a car with a crotch-rocket. Yes I also have a crotch-rocket. Whats next? Bragging about beating farm equipment? I guess I shouldn't lecture given that my first kill in my GN was a garbage truck. I wore his azz out too.

Wasn't talking about a truck to tow. A Syclone wasn't made for towing it was made for hauling A**!!! If a guy in a Lightning is gonna strut the streets with his posse he gets what he deserves. I know a guy who owns a stage 2 turbo buick and a lightning. Bragging about beating a pickup truck with your car can be something to brag about depending what the truck is. Lots of modded diesel trucks etc fast as hell!!!

I watched a big, ugly brown Kenworth beat up a new Corvette at Famosa during a Brizzio's Muscle Car Shootout in the early 80's....now that was funny.

Since it was a bracket race....it was like watching a segment of that movie, "Duel".
They actually let the Vette go a few 1/10th's before the Kenworth....and the Kenworth ran him down without breaking out...:biggrin:

Crowd went wild!!!!

Wasn't talking about a truck to tow.

You said ANYTHING a Lightning can do the Syclone can do better.....and that is pretty much why I got into this thread. I was content to read and laugh before I read that lie.

The Syclone is simply a slow sports car dressed up to look like a truck. It can't do anything that a real truck can do. My Lightning can do truck stuff as well as whip any REAL truck's ass in stock form. I have 100+K miles on my truck. Can you really call a Syclone a truck without laughing a little. Anyway 100+K miles and it runs just as strong 380hp/450tq as the day I got it. No mods what-so-ever and runs mid 13s on the same street tires that I drive on everyday. Best time was on a cold night and I made (5) 13.0 passes BONE STOCK. Oh and I'm tall and fit quite comfortably in my TRUCK. Speak ill of it you wish but the Lightning is one hell of a PiCKUP TRUCK.

You said ANYTHING a Lightning can do the Syclone can do better.....and that is pretty much why I got into this thread. I was content to read and laugh before I read that lie.

The Syclone is simply a slow sports car dressed up to look like a truck. It can't do anything that a real truck can do. My Lightning can do truck stuff as well as whip any REAL truck's ass in stock form. I have 100+K miles on my truck. Can you really call a Syclone a truck without laughing a little. Anyway 100+K miles and it runs just as strong 380hp/450tq as the day I got it. No mods what-so-ever and runs mid 13s on the same street tires that I drive on everyday. Best time was on a cold night and I made (5) 13.0 passes BONE STOCK. Oh and I'm tall and fit quite comfortably in my TRUCK. Speak ill of it you wish but the Lightning is one hell of a PiCKUP TRUCK.

A Syclone will do what it was intended to do. People didn't buy them to haul boats etc...How many modded diesels can pull a crap load more than the lightning and still get it done at the track?? Many!!! As stated in my original post JMO...

A Syclone will do what it was intended to do. People didn't buy them to haul boats etc...How many modded diesels can pull a crap load more than the lightning and still get it done at the track?? Many!!! As stated in my original post JMO...

Oh I see what you meant. You meant that if you had a Syclone AND a diesel then you could do anything a Lightning could do. OK, I'm cool with that....but it had better be a really nice diesel because its going to have to offset the crappiness of the Syclone's fit and finish to be as nice as a Lightning. So with an ultra-nice diesel and a Syclone you would be right.

Oh I see what you meant. You meant that if you had a Syclone AND a diesel then you could do anything a Lightning could do. OK, I'm cool with that....but it had better be a really nice diesel because its going to have to offset the crappiness of the Syclone's fit and finish to be as nice as a Lightning. So with an ultra-nice diesel and a Syclone you would be right.

If I want a performance truck to go fast I'll take a Syclone or diesel over a Lightning that's all!! Don't care about towing a boat or a load of mulch etc... Besides if I had any make or model performance truck wouldn't use it for that stuff anyways...A Syclone is much more rare and the fit and finish look good to me!! Nothing personal just not a Ford guy...Sounds like what you want out of a peformance truck is different than myself...Someday I'll buy a Syclone to have as a truck to take to cars shows mod up etc...Like having another muscle car except it's a truck..

Only one way to settle this, folks...
TRUCK FIGHT!
TRUCK FIGHT!
TRUCK FIGHT!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: