Got my extender chip today

GNRick

Retired member
So, will I be happy with it? Motor rebuilt with about 5k miles on it. Stock injectors, LT-1 MAF/translator, will run 91-93 octane, no alky, stock turbo. Has anybody actually found any benefit to the ability to read past 255 grams from the MAF? Does it make the car faster in 1/4 mile? Also, will the chip cure the "tip in stumble"? All positive and negative comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

That tip in stumble can be from the stock injectors.
You should try to get more modern injectors they are more responsive, precise, have the ability to flow more, and resist clogging/fouling than the (now aged) Bosch pintle design.
With your mostly stock setup I dont think you wll see very far past 255 gr sec.
Good luck with the extender I just ordered one myself.

well....

...how do you like it ?

I bought one several years ago and am very happy with mine..
Turbo Tweak now has incorpoarated many of the neat features except the
Extended maf readings.

Does it make the car any faster ? i cant say. But my stock turbo at 20#
of boost was sending MAF readings well into the 300's

I know on my car years ago my tip in stumble was due to too high fuel pressure.

have fun with it

I'm very happy with it. Tip in stumble is totally gone. I don't plan on changing any perameters, I like it just the way it is. I didn't even hook up the grey wire. I also saw MAF readings in the 300's, "just getting on it" on the highway.:)

How long did it take you to get it?

It only took a week to get. However, I drove the car from Illinois to Fla. and on the way I could hear knock. I hooked up my scan tool and it showed 5 degrees at only 10 psi boost. I removed the chip and, if I read it right, it was programmed for green stripe injectors. I have stock injectors. I put back the stock chip and had -0- knock. I called Full Throttle a few hours ago and left a message on their machine regarding the problem. Waiting for their reply.

what are your settings in the translator?

What is your fuel pressure? what is your boost going to?

that chip is for stock injectors

B - B series Extender
S - Stock datastream for scantools
A - stock injectors
3 - 93 octane
4 - wastegate set to 18.5 in first and second, 17 in third (approximate)
A - 750 idle
1 - antitheft feature with convenience and valet modes
F - revision

Bob,

I'm using a "237" regulator, 45 psi line off, 17 lbs of boost. Left dial is on "3" for 3" sensor, right dial is on "0" . The translator is version 6.22. I am using a 3" LT-1 MAF sensor. Thanks.

Walbro and hotwire. Should I put a fuel pressure gauge on it while driving and make sure it works ok? Again, the stock chip shows no knock. thanks.

can you check your BLM numbers? Idle and cruising

Bob

Bob,
When I was getting knock with the extender chip, I noticed that the air cleaner was coming off of the MAF sensor, letting unfiltered air through. Would this have caused a problem? anyway, here are the readings:

Stock chip, idle=150, 65mph= 120- 140
Extender chip, idle=160, 55 mph=133-134

Also, boost went up to 20 :eek: with the extender chip. Does the chip affect the boost solenoid? I turned the boost back down to 16:) via the wastegate. Filled up with Shell 92 Octane. I didn't get any knock with 16 psi boost and the extender chip, so do you think my problem was with the air cleaner coming off from the MAF sensor? Or will knock return like it did last time? Thanks for your help.

Rick, those numbers indicate a fairly large vacuum leak.
Both chips have their idle BLM range maxed out! :eek:

Either a vacuum leak, or pre turbo exhaust leak.

I looked and didn't see any obvious hoses disconnected or broken. I also can't hear any hissing. How could I test the EGR valve? Any tips on using a mityvac? Thanks Dave.

I changed my EGR valve this evening. BLM at idle with extender chip is still 160. Went for a drive and BLM drops to around 140 range. As soon as I hit boost, BLM drops to 128. When I get back to stop light, BLM goes back to 160. Does this still indicate a vacuum leak? One other thing- when I pumped up the EGR valve with my mightyvac on my 25,000 mile GN (stock chip), the car just about died out and exhaust fumes came out from around header area. When I did this on the car with the extender chip, nothing happened. Idle stayed smooth and never changed. The idle did not change when I pumped up the old EGR valve, and the new EGR valve. Does this mean anything?

I changed my EGR valve this evening. BLM at idle with extender chip is still 160. Went for a drive and BLM drops to around 140 range. As soon as I hit boost, BLM drops to 128. When I get back to stop light, BLM goes back to 160. Does this still indicate a vacuum leak? One other thing- when I pumped up the EGR valve with my mightyvac on my 25,000 mile GN (stock chip), the car just about died out and exhaust fumes came out from around header area. When I did this on the car with the extender chip, nothing happened. Idle stayed smooth and never changed. The idle did not change when I pumped up the old EGR valve, and the new EGR valve. Does this mean anything?

Could be that your EGR passages have been blocked in this one.
BLM of 160 at idle definately indicates a vacuum leak, or pre turbo exhaust leak, or a leak between the maf and turbo.

Could be that your EGR passages have been blocked in this one.
BLM of 160 at idle definately indicates a vacuum leak, or pre turbo exhaust leak, or a leak between the maf and turbo.

I'll check it again. Thanks Dave. My mechanic has a machine that puts out smoke, to trace down vacuum leaks. I might have to take it to him.