Grand National Documentary will be filming at 2011 BPG Event! Read Inside!

VETKILR

Staff member
He will be filming at our event, as he is finalizing his dates of travel as we speak. For those of you not aware ill include an overview of his movie, to debut possibly in spring of 2012. Here is your chance to get your car in a movie, pretty exciting stuff!;)

Buick Grand National Documentary Film Project
Andrew Filippone Jr.
Director/Producer/Editor
(805) 905-1000
!lippone@earthlink.net
Steve is not happy
It’s not about performance. It’s about where you come from.
– Dr. Ulrich Bez
CEO, Aston Martin
Eschewing the car !lm’s usual focus on mechanical and performance issues, Andrew Filippone Jr.’s
60-minute documentary on the Buick Grand National is instead a kind of elegy for the car, a remembrance
of its short, paradoxical, but remarkable life.
#e Grand National’s world-class talent for straight-line acceleration placed it in league with some of the
most elite and expensive performance cars of its day. However, its place amongst the elites was dubious. In
the company of Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsches, the Grand National’s inherited limitations – as a
Buick and as the child of a Regal – became plain. #e Grand National didn’t look like the elites, didn’t
behave like the elites, and certainly didn’t enjoy the cachet that was their birthright. #ough the Grand
National could run with the elites to 60mph and in the quarter-mile, it could never really be one of them
because of where it came from.
But, here too – within its own family – the Grand National experienced another dislocation. #e car was
unlike any other Buick in the mid-1980s. In a family of mature and (some would say) “stodgy doctors’
cars,”1 the “hulking black”2 Grand National was an anomaly, full of “!repower…[and] grit,”3 a literal black
sheep.
#e !lm, currently in post-production will have three primary sections: (1) Separation at Home, which
examines the radical differences in style, temperament, performance, and aspirations between the Grand
National and its Buick brethren; (2) Placeless Amongst its Peers, which looks at the vast cultural divide that
separated the Grand National from the recognized elite performance cars of the day; and (3) A De!ant End,
which deals with the arrival of the GNX – the ultimate Grand National – as General Motors abandoned
the G-body and moved to front-wheel drive platforms.
#e !lm will feature interviews with: automotive journalists Brock Yates, Don Sherman, Csaba Csere,
Martyn Schorr, and Tony Assenza; former Buick employees Lloyd Reuss, Darwin Clark, Mike Doble, Steve
Pasteiner, Bill Porter, and Gary Smith; author and historian Lawrence Gustin; and several Grand National/
GNX owners and enthusiasts.
#e !lm is scheduled for release in Spring 2012.
1From an interview with Csaba Csere.
2 & 3 From the article “Buick Regal Grand National” by Rich Ceppos (Car & Driver, April 1986).

July 29-31, BE THERE!!!:biggrin:

Thanks for posting this. I talked to Andrew today. Hopefully we are going to be able to arrange an appearance of the last GN built in the documentary. :cool:

I'd love to have my Grand National in a movie!!! Any way I can get it in while it's on jackstands?:rolleyes: They still look cool without any wheels...:tongue:

Bruce '87 Grand National

<snip> For those of you not aware ill include an overview of his movie, to debut possibly in spring of 2012. </snip>

You mean I have to wait at least 8 months?? How will I ever survive?? :eek:

We need to do like they did in "Spaceballs: The Movie" but with a modern twist: "It's the latest advance in video technology: Instant DVD's! They're out in stores before the movie is finished!"

Maybe even longer! Weren't these guy's at BG several years ago filming? I thought so because they shot some footage of my old GN several years ago and I have had my new car more than three years now....Hopefully some day they will be done... This has been the longest documentary I have ever seen of a car event or car....

The guy's are very cool and seemed to be a great project, hopefully someday it will finally be done.....

Scot W.

He is an independent film maker out of NYC and has done this strictly in his spare time. Took him a while to find out the people involved and schedule interviews with the GM personnel. It took Jim C 2 plus years to get a TTA reunion and better to take time to get a project done right then to rush and be sub-par.

I dont know how fast you think a documentary should be done, but Ken Burns films take multiple years of shooting before they even hit editing so I dont know if you think this is as easy as making a Buick t shirt??

Sometimes ignorance is bliss i guess...

He is an independent film maker out of NYC and has done this strictly in his spare time. Took him a while to find out the people involved and schedule interviews with the GM personnel. It took Jim C 2 plus years to get a TTA reunion and better to take time to get a project done right then to rush and be sub-par.

I dont know how fast you think a documentary should be done, but Ken Burns films take multiple years of shooting before they even hit editing so I dont know if you think this is as easy as making a Buick t shirt??

Sometimes ignorance is bliss i guess...

Well.. I, for one, was just being facetious. I had done post-production work for a company who produced short PSA's, small potatoes for sure, but people would still be surprised at the timeline involved, thus the sarcasm in my post. Needless to say this will be worth the wait.

Now tell him to finish up already. ;)

Are these the same guys that were filming and interviewing at the 2010 TurboBuick Nationals in Burlington?

Cool. Make sure you include the original GN though. Granted, it was mostly a trim option but it was the first in 82.:biggrin:

Cool. Make sure you include the original GN though. Granted, it was mostly a trim option but it was the first in 82.:biggrin:

It will be mentioned. Lloyd Reuss sat for an interview and talked about that day in Daytona - February 10, 1982.

I hope they get my good side and I am going to get a haircut before the event too.

Andrew I got an 86 GN with 7000 original miles, bone stock coming out for you to film as well. Just fyi! See you in a few days!