guys not using the PCV

As long as the oil gets hot on a regular basis, then the contaminates (fuel / water) will burn off and "breath" out. That is important, no doubt, but it isn't dependent upon venting to atmosphere or manifold vacuum. It's all about getting the engine properly warmed up regularly.

Most here probably change their oil much more often than they really need to anyways.

why not use a scrubber can inline of the pcv ? i use one on my Supra and it works great at keeping things clean and still using the pcv system.

why not use a scrubber can inline of the pcv ? i use one on my Supra and it works great at keeping things clean and still using the pcv system.

Scrubber can inline of the pcv?

Do you mean a catch can?
Can you elaborate please.

thx

Got to be talking about catch can. I run one. That's how I know the pcv serves a important purpose. Next time I empty I'll snap a picture for you guy's. You won't believe the sludge.

RL

yes, i mean a catch can...sorry it was a long day. im adding one to the GN now that its roadworthy. you can buy them cheap on ebay all day long.

yes, i mean a catch can...sorry it was a long day. im adding one to the GN now that its roadworthy. you can buy them cheap on ebay all day long.

Ohhh....now I understand what you meant.....just have never heard it called a scrubber can before.

I've been running a catch can on my PCV line for the past few years with no issues. Just be sure to put an inline check valve between your vacuum source and the catch can.
Also run a catch can off the vents of my valve covers which terminates back into my sold MAF pipe (pre turbo).

AMW catch cans 002.jpg

Attachments

• PCVCatchCanInstallationInstructions.pdf
    78.5 KB · Views: 99
I removed mine years ago and haven't looked back. The way I see it, is when you are using the PCV in conjunction with the valve cover breathers, you are possibly creating a vacuum leak. The valve was designed for a closed system being as such, the PCV valve has drawn in air that has been accounted for, meaning that that it has passed through the MAF sensor first. The PCV valve is part of the emissions.

Ya I am lurking an watching the thread to read all the "opinions" :p Ever see what an engine looks like (street car thats DRIVEN) inside ?? Had a customer who plugged his off. Blew a headgasket. Took it apart an what a mess !!! Under the intake was a layer of white slimy oil. Nuff said BUT hey if thats what ya want to do then just do it !! :D
Grumpy, not calling you out, however that white oil is a result of moisture in the oil due to the blown headgasket.

If you run a catch can, you are gauranteed to find water and slime in it. The catch can is cold and it is a great place for condensate to form. Combustion generates a considerable amount of water and that water is part of the blowby gases as water vapor. If the breather system is allowed to have a "cold spot" like a catch can, then that's where the water will condense.

If you run a catch can, you are gauranteed to find water and slime in it. The catch can is cold and it is a great place for condensate to form. Combustion generates a considerable amount of water and that water is part of the blowby gases as water vapor. If the breather system is allowed to have a "cold spot" like a catch can, then that's where the water will condense.
Maybe I'll mount it on the downpipe then.

Well said.

One tim e i just plugged the hole on TB and vented pcv with a hose near rear of motor by trans one time i ran a Catch can didnt see a difference both smelled like burnt oil ...the problem with mine was the TB sucked so hard it would suck up a bit of oil and get my intake oily and dirty so i decided just vent the pcv and the catchcan looks nice but i went cheap route 2nd time vent that SOB as long as the motor can vent out some crankcase pressure you'll be ok, whether thru valve covers or PCV

The catch can generates moisture but the motor case doesn't? o_O

Combustion itself does not have moisture in it. It's the cold metal that condenses when warm gasses are trapped inside. Little catch can does not even compare to the motor case.

Breathers do not pull the moisture out. The gasses swirl around in the case with only a small amount escaping out the breathers.

RL

Are you saying that you believe that running without a PCV will increase the chances of blowing the head gaskets?

Have no idea how you get that !!:rolleyes: Guy detonated the motor like a LOT of guys DO in here.. Oh it was only a little :confused: .. Motor takes so much then BOOM.. Now stop posting here an go take out that POS PCV valve !! Car will run 8's!!

Attachments

• Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
    Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 87
Pronto said:
Hee, hee that was a LONG time ago. Russ posted in it even. I think the simplest solution is a catch can. Only problem I see is where the hell do you put it? I've got enough damn hoses running all over the place.:confused:

He built me a motor. Still had the pcv hooked up and it was fine. I still use one now and will continue to. I notice on cars that don't, the fumes do get very noticeable like Steve said.

GN has been out in the cold quite a bit on short rides. It's been a while since I last emptied the catch can. It's full to the rim with milky oil. Some may say I have other problems. Even better reason to run one. If there is a little internal coolant seepage, it's getting vacuumed out. Whatever the case may be don't want the stuff in my motor.
Just trying to help . You guy's don't have to acknowledge or take my advice.
IMG_1649.jpg
IMG_1650.jpg
IMG_1651.jpg
IMG_1652.jpg
IMG_1653.jpg
IMG_1654.jpg
IMG_1657.jpg
IMG_1658.jpg
IMG_1659.jpg
IMG_1660.jpg