Hard Top or T-Top For Next GN

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
I just sold my TType. It was a hard top car. I have never owned a T Top G body but like the idea of it.
What's the bad with a TTop G Body?
Rattles? Leaks? Any rust issues caused by leaks to look for?
Are aftermarket seals still available?
Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had two HT and one moon roof GN. If this were 1987 and you could buy it new and keep it mostly stock, I'd go for T-top and crank up some Gn'R. Given that it's 25+ years later, I'd say stick with the HT cars. T-top cars leak, whistle and make rust like nobody's business.

Somebody will chime in and say "my t-top car is like a bank vault". Either he's lying or he has the ONE car that doesn't follow the rule.

Regards,
John

Last edited:
That's what I figured but figured I would ask. My TTA T tops were rock solid and quite but that was also in 1999.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cc1 all the way. An I'm the one that has the one that don't play by the rules.can even post pics to back it.28 yr old rubbers still look good. No rust .

Last edited:
I like my TTOP GN! It does make whistle noise while driving. But I don't care too much cuz I like to mostly drive with the tops off or windows down anyway. I have a '71 Skylark convertible as well, so noise doesn't bother me.

I have all new weather stripping for it, but haven't got to install it. When I bought the car a few months ago, the driver side floor pan was rusted out, but I have since repaired it with a new one. The word is they will leak down the "A" pillar down to the floor. I checked my pillar water damage or rust as well as the door jams & it's rust free with no signs. So who knows how the floor got rusted.

In any case, I now live in AZ. So I'm not worried about the rain or snow, so I don't have to worry about that. That's why I wanted the TTOPS here. Plus I love the look when they are off. I've owned a HT GN before also. I do like my TTOP better.

Well OP, there you have it. Either buy Blackazz's T-Type or find a HT. The other option would be to move to the desert. Hey, you could join Nick out in PHX!
Regards,
John

Yeah! C'mon out! ;) Nick has my car right now. So yes, that's a huge plus as well having him here. :)

If your cars with brother Nick, then it definitely is in good hands.
I hear that! I'm excited! He's doing a fair amount too it. He definitely stresses about doing things the correct way & using the right parts. I like that about him. Very honest & upfront. Hard to find those type of people these days.

I had a HT Regal T with 50k. Couldn't get any more solid or quiet. I just picked up my brothers GN with T-tops and I have a long way to go to get them straightened out. I have always wanted a TTop GN though and this one looks great. I wouldn't change it off a HT even with the issues.

I owned a HT for 19yrs, I just sold it and bough a T-Top car. The car is mint and has always been garaged so I cant comment on rust but it is def louder. that being said that 1st summer night ride w/ the tops had me hooked! Always wanted a convertible this is the next best thing.

If the car will be a street cruiser, definitely go with t-tops or moonroof. If it's going to the drag strip a lot, go with a hardtop. My GN has a moonroof and I love it.

If you want a T-top get it be ready to deal with the issues.
I have one and know what I'm up against. Do research on issues and see if that's what you want.
Some People also say GN's are a PITA. So what i'll keep mine!

In your initial post in the 3rd line you listed the 3 possible issues rattles, leaks, and possible rust. With 25 plus years of age thrown into the mix you can also add interior sun fade to the list of issues a T-Top example can provide. I had a few over the years unless you buy a super mint low mileage example and have a high tolerance for rattles and feeling rain drops inside the car would avoid a T-Top example.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

One reason Ford deleted that option in their Fox body Mustangs in the late 1980s...