Has Anyone Rebuilt There Own Engine?

NOR*CAL 916

im debating on if i should rebuild the engine myself or have a machine shop build my 87' engine. I want a simple setup of JE pistons,ported irons,roller cam,and overall a fresh engine, has anyone here rebuilt there own engine and do you have any good advice? Or does anybody know of a good shop to rebuild my engine mainly in california, im from Sacramento (northern cali)

take the motor apart and then give the pieses to a machine shop and have them clean it up and machine if need be. have them install cam bearings and you can install the rest. all you have to rent is a piston ring compressor. maby a torque wrench if you dont have one.

On your First Build I would take it all apart, take the shortblock parts to the machine shop with a spec sheet of the Tolerences you want & have them follow it. Then they can assemble the shortblock & you do the rest. You can take it apart some to double check Your Tolerences to make sure they were followed & at the same time you learn about it. After that you have their shortblock that They Warranty for you & you can assemble everything else after cleaning & paint etc. After a few engines maybe you want to do it yourself like I did the last freshen up motor but initially let them be accountable for it to be in spec & make them stand by their work like a good shop usually will. Just make sure its a shop others have used & trust & its usually not some monster shop but usually a smaller shop where you know everyones names etc & deal with the boss who actually does the work too! These engines need proper tolerences that are on the tight side. I would also let them freshen the heads at the same time if needed.
Have Fun assembling the rest on the stand. With cleaning & painting its still a lot of work if your picky. You can also clean up the intake a bit & port the front cover like Earl Browns writeup shows so you will be busy for a while.
Enjoy!