You can type here any text you want

Has anyone used the BAER rear disc setup??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hboost

Banned
I have this BAER kit for the rear, but am wondering whether if its worth it, if the rear shock relocators difficult to install, and how does it feel afterwards. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe :confused:

It works well.

Did my install on a lift with a helper/mechanic.

Had the fronts on first so they complement, if you only have the rears trade them for the front set or you might end up with an unbalanced system.

Baer fronts are pretty much all that's needed with perhaps soft shoes out back and maybe the s10 mods. But I had both kits so I put them on the car.

Only hard part were the three little bolts that hold the backing plates on, 5 out of 6 broke and had to be removed/replaced. Extra hour labor.

Rear shock locator brackets were easy to install. :)

I have b-car 12" front disk and Baer on rear. No problem. I installed Baer's when rear end was out from the car. Stops great but I have GTA 4 wheel disk master cylinder w/vacuum booster. I will tell you this is not the hot setup for drag strip as the disk do not keep rear wheels from pushing you thru the starting lights!
Let me know if you want to sell the Baer's as I know someone looking for a set.

Conrad Carter
North Carolina

alphaenvirmgt said:
I will tell you this is not the hot setup for drag strip as the disk do not keep rear wheels from pushing you thru the starting lights!

Have you reworked the combination valve?.
Are you using a dual bore master cylinder?.

Going to a Grand Am master cylinder, and *bypassing* the combination valve made all the difference in how I can stage.

(Running the 02 (12") Camaro Brakes, front and rear)

My GN is street-driven. Are the mods that you discussed applicable to a street car? If so, I would like some details...what year Grand Am m/c did you use?
Conrad Carter

alphaenvirmgt said:
My GN is street-driven. Are the mods that you discussed applicable to a street car? If so, I would like some details...what year Grand Am m/c did you use?
Conrad Carter

So is mine. I still need to hook up the emergency cables, but other then that, it's done.

I don't have the part no (seems to have somehow disappeared), but there are only 2 late Gran Am masters, the one has four ports for the ABS, and this one only has two. Both are normally stocked at Autozone, so a quick run though the available ones, would quickly spot light the right one. You'll also need the M/C hose fittings, and bubble flare the tubing ends.

If you bypass/ plug the combo valve, you loose the pressure diffential switch, but the M/C has a low fluid indicator switch in it. What I did was plug the area where the differential pressure switch with a brass piece, and silver soldered it in place, then drilled thou the *knee over* valve for the rear brakes, then finally plug the front port for the pressure differential pressure resetting switch.

No problem at all holding the car with the Powermaster. ;)

Only need to hold about 8psi. max. though with Hoosier QTP's, no slicks.

Gives me something to try tomorrow with the nice weather we are having. :cool:

Back