Have engine rules changed?

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I watch the races most of the time but don't follow the sport that closely.

I thought (maybe years ago) that if you ran a certain engine type/style, that it also had to be sold on the open market in a production vehicle. Has that rule dissapeared??

The reason I ask is, what allows Toyota to compete?? I know of no Toyota vehicle in production that uses a 16 valve pushrod V8. So....who's or what engine is Toyota running???????

What's happening to this damn sport?

Fortunately the 2013 cars will look VERY close to their street counterparts.

IMHO, Dodge NASCAR and Nationwide cars are closes to the spirit of the rules because their street counterparts are rear drive chassis, even though their parent company is Fiat. As for Toyota, my understanding is that Toyota revived a foundry that produced a cast iron V8 engine for the NASCAR program (probably doesn't look anything like the WWII engine produced by that foundry), but the production Camry is not rear drive and neither is Impala (until next year). I'm just so confused, I don't even try to figure it out anymore. I hope you're not losing any sleep over this:D.

I give up on NASCAR when they tried to make it the NFL with cars.

It all died on 2-18-2001.

Had some hope for Dale Jr but he has turned out to be pretty much a mediocre driver at best. I try to watch the last 20 or so laps of the races these days. Not sure if it fan interest, the economy or a combo of both but have you noticed the empty stands on race day? The Sprint cup races look like the crowds they used to get with the Nationwide races. And if Jimmy Johnson wins another championship I am done.

It all died on 2-18-2001.

Had some hope for Dale Jr but he has turned out to be pretty much a mediocre driver at best. I try to watch the last 20 or so laps of the races these days. Not sure if it fan interest, the economy or a combo of both but have you noticed the empty stands on race day? The Sprint cup races look like the crowds they used to get with the Nationwide races. And if Jimmy Johnson wins another championship I am done.
Well I guess you are done.....One thing about it, its better than a junky ford winning

this is the engines chevys are using I think u can purchase a crate motor from gm .... sorry about my iphone picks from darlington

you aint buying a NASCAR spec crate motor from GM.. or Ford.. or Toyota...
you can buy the block, heads, and intake manifold rough castings from them and build one for yourself... they spend about $100k on an average engine, but they get parts cheaper or for free and have probably thousands of man hours put in by some of the smartest engineers and machinists in the automotive world in designing and building each engine...

GM sold the 5.7 to Toyota. Toyota adapted their electronics to run their Tundra Trucks. Toyota also had help from Chevy. How else could Toyota come into NASCAR so quick. Nissan also has a PENDING SWEET HEART deal to come to NASCAR :rolleyes:. NASCAR got old when Bill Elliot, country boy from GA, beat FORD at their game. I was at Talladega when he was down 2 laps and did 205mph in traffic and won race:p. That will NEVER happen again. NASCAR was fun then; Dale was fending off young guns, Davey, Ernie, and Jeremy. Bobby, Neil and Darryl were IRON Men. NO PLATES...

Maybe it's because I live North but I used to enjoy watching the races when chevy's were chevy's and ford's were ford's! Now it's "stickers" on a dull shell and I really lost interest in the the races. Remember the old 409's, 421 Pontiac's, 427 fords etc? Oh, wait, maybe it was a 480 in a pontiac back then? Only knew if they won and tore them down to be inspected. LOL
Tell me those races were not more fun!

Maybe it's because I live North but I used to enjoy watching the races when chevy's were chevy's and ford's were ford's! Now it's "stickers" on a dull shell and I really lost interest in the the races. Remember the old 409's, 421 Pontiac's, 427 fords etc? Oh, wait, maybe it was a 480 in a pontiac back then? Only knew if they won and tore them down to be inspected. LOL
Tell me those races were not more fun!

yeah, because it's awesome when one car has 3 laps on the entire field and it takes 3 minutes to change tires...

NASCAR was the best in the 80's up to about the mid 90's- it was the best balance between speed, competition, money, and redneck ingenuity all tied into cars that used production sheetmetal stampings.

NASCAR SUCKS. Gordon and Johnson would not STAND a chance with BAKER, PEARSON, ALLISON, JARRETT, PETTY. This NEW NASCAR is killing the sport if there was one... NASCAR, NHRA, INDY all have something in COMMON... They all are GREEDY and are driven by money....Childress, Pensky and others are killing a great sport....

NASCAR SUCKS. Gordon and Johnson would not STAND a chance with BAKER, PEARSON, ALLISON, JARRETT, PETTY. This NEW NASCAR is killing the sport if there was one... NASCAR, NHRA, INDY all have something in COMMON... They all are GREEDY and are driven by money....Childress, Pensky and others are killing a great sport....

i don't know- Jeff worked his way up thru the open wheel ranks (sprint cars) and Jimmy was winning in everything that had 2 wheels or more on it (motocross, off road trucks) that he touched before he ever slid into a stock car and started doing well enough to get Jeff Gordon and Rick Hendrick's attention... i'm not a fan of either of them, but they are both the real deal and are at least as good as anyone that's ever come before or since- the 10 Cup championships that they have between them says a lot and accounts for half of the championships since Gordon's rookie year... yeah, i know that you can say that they bought those championships- but it could also be said that the King bought all 7 of his championships, too, since he had more money and thus better equipment than everyone else on the track and people whined about how he was ruining the sport by bringing so much money and attention to it. same with Dale Sr- he won not only because he was a badass, but because he was a badass with the best equipment and crew.

Yep.
One look at the crowds, and the writing is on the wall.
NHRA is struggling to make full fields, stands have many mt seats.
Much of the Nascar field is run 1lap, hit the garage, collect your money, and hit the road.
[There's a reason the cameras stay zoomed down on the track!]
Indy is a joke.

To be Honest, I looked at Indy Racing for years before Buick took over. Once the Grand National came out, I actually went to a race and had a BALL! Being in Alabama and close to Hueytown (Home town of the Allisons and Neil Bonnett), I also went to Talledega and smaller tracks. As much as I HATE Rich Christiansen, I actually like WON AND DONE and I am WARMING UP to STREET OUTLAWS. PINKS was great until Christiansen lost CONTROL and CREATIVENESS to SPEED. PINKS ALLOUT was even better. PASSTIME was a great show also. NHRA, NASCAR, F1 and big Racing is KILLING grassroots racing. STREET OUTLAW is at the Cross roads.. Now Street Racing is know PROMOTED... WTF... IF those OKLAHOMA ASS Clowns came South, they would be handed their AZZ in a basket... I must admit North or South, OKLAHOMA would go down...