head bolt/gasket question

mygrain

unregistered
Can I use a single 85 steel head gasket with no other changes? I realise this will up my compression some, but wont that help with responsiveness? Is it going to make tuning more difficult? Im using 0.040 over TRWs if that matters. Also, what head bolts should i use?

Yes you can use one of them and yes it will up the compression a bit. Make sure to check your heads for flat before you use these gaskets to make sure they seal:D Frank

Lot's of us do it that way...works very well.

Also, be sure the bolt holes line up between the intake and the heads.....may have to mill a little off to allow the intake to sit down into place.

Originally posted by mygrain
Can I use a single 85 steel head gasket with no other changes? I realise this will up my compression some, but wont that help with responsiveness? Is it going to make tuning more difficult? Im using 0.040 over TRWs if that matters. Also, what head bolts should i use?

With a single steel head gasket and a 0.040 over bore, you compression ratio will be up almost a point, like from 8.1:1 to
~8.75:1 or more. With the block decked and heads surfaced it will approach 9:1. If you have junk 91 octane pump gas like we do on the West coast, may be a problem with any boost.

Yes, it will be more responsive, especially on the street at low end.

Tuning should not be more difficult, just more susceptable to knock at higher boost.

Use ARP bolts, retorque after 24 hours. Then retorque after one or 2 heat cycles.

Like Steve said, doubt the intake will fit w/o milling the block mating surfaces.