You can type here any text you want

Head gasket questions??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickGN3:16

i want to order cometic head gaskets for my motor but i need to know the specs on the bore & thickness i need, the block is stock bore.

Stock block and heads, 3.86 @ .040 It will have a slight increase in CR

It is what I have on a stock block with Champion Irons.

Stock gaskets. Copper spray arp bolts and alky. Your good for 20-24psi all day with no problems.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

1fast cobra, i see u are posting on the mobile app? I had it on my ipod touch4 & it had trouble logging in so i deleted it to re- download it & its gone from the app store, or do u think this is just an issue with apple devices?

1fast cobra, i see u are posting on the mobile app? I had it on my ipod touch4 & it had trouble logging in so i deleted it to re- download it & its gone from the app store, or do u think this is just an issue with apple devices?

I honestly don't know. !! If u pm me your # I can send the app to u through the android market I had an Apple I phone for a day. I felt like I was back in the 80's again.

Why do u suggest stock head gaskets for my application instead of cometics? i dont have alky but i run 110 mixed with my pump gas & can normally make 24 - 25 psi when My tt race chip is in

Why do u suggest stock head gaskets for my application instead of cometics? i dont have alky but i run 110 mixed with my pump gas & can normally make 24 - 25 psi when My tt race chip is in

Cometics. !!!
They work great aslong as u install them on a fresh prepped block and set of heads.
I've seen and herd of them leaking when the car is cold. On a non reserfaced engine. And when it warms up it seals.
They will contract and exspand.

everyone i talk to has a diffrent opinion im so discouraged about which way to go with it that i dont even want to put the stupid motor back 2gether, lol!! i cannot afford to do this twice so im trying to make the best choice here :/

All I can do is tell you what I know.
The rest is up to u

IMO anytime replacing the head gaskets take the heads and check for flatness and trued. The irons typically will be .003-.006out distorted simply from the torquing.
All of this helps with seal up

Myself and others with mild builds are running the Felpro 9441 PT gaskets or the Victor Reinz gaskets which are the "stock headgasket option" and have no head gasket related issues with 25+ psi of boost. Its all in the tune. If the tune is off and you run one of the "stock" head gaskets the fuse will blow before the motor. Cometics on the other hand can take more abuse and therefore instead of the "fuse" blowing you risk hurting the motor itself. What are your plans with the car? If you want to build a stock to mild motor, I would go with the 9441 PT. If your building a high hp motor or plan on beating the stock build for all she's worth, go with the cometics. Either way you decided to go, make sure everything is flat, clean, torqued and installed correctly.

Myself and others with mild builds are running the Felpro 9441 PT gaskets or the Victor Reinz gaskets which are the "stock headgasket option" and have no head gasket related issues with 25+ psi of boost. Its all in the tune. If the tune is off and you run one of the "stock" head gaskets the fuse will blow before the motor. Cometics on the other hand can take more abuse and therefore instead of the "fuse" blowing you risk hurting the motor itself. What are your plans with the car? If you want to build a stock to mild motor, I would go with the 9441 PT. If your building a high hp motor or plan on beating the stock build for all she's worth, go with the cometics. Either way you decided to go, make sure everything is flat, clean, torqued and installed correctly.
X2
Just remember the head gaskets are the week link. ( fail safe ) Its better to blow a gasket then shoot a rod through the pan. !!!!!

Stock head gaskets with arp studs here. The same advise that was given above (using stock type head gaskets) was given to me by one of the top engine builders in the country about blowing a gasket before hurting the motor. As stated above if you are sure about your tuning abilities and want to push the motor to it's max then go with the Cometic or the RJC system but a lot of guys have gone very fast on stock type gaskets as well.

Yeah ya'll just mainly a street driver with a trip to the track once a year or so for some fun. Does anyone use the copper spray stuff with the vr "stock style" gaskets or just mount em staight down with arp studs or bolts? My first time doing this so alot of questions & thought is going into this. Thanks for the help ya'll, really appreciate it alot!

On mine I only put RVT on the stud threads and nothing on the gaskets. It's been a little over 20 psi more than a few times with no problems.

Ok i got u, some recommend loc-tite on the threads before screwing them into the block??? can u get your heads off the motor if u had it in the car & had to pull em off w/ the studs?? Some say go with arp bolts instead of studs for that reason.

Studs all the way and thread sealant not lock tight. Also they need to be clean and lubed up before installation for proper torque. Also if you go with studs keep an eye out on the amount of threads left on the studs. Some have had issues where there wasn't enough threads left to fully clamp down on the head. If that's the case, just put an extra washer and you'll be good to go.

Back