You can type here any text you want

Head Gasket Slow Leak?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaveyX87

I am wondering if my head gasket is on its way out. I think I am slowly loosing water. How do I detect if I am burning water? My plugs look consistent. Theres no water in the oil. The exhaust is steamy only sometimes. I am not running coolant, just distilled water, so no sweet smell. I get occasional bubbles with the radiator cap off and the burp funnel on while idling. After a while, the water in the funnel turns a kind of nasty grey with a sort of sulferish smell.

When the engine is cold check the PCV valve and breather or oil cap for condensation and possibly a light milky film. I had the same symptoms as yours ...... only lost water under boost. When I removed the intake the under side was coated with sludge .......

Same symptoms here.
  • Slow loss of water
  • perfect looking oil
  • no sweet smell in exhaust, but wet 'spatters' from tailpipe when starting cold
  • Milky white/brown film on and around PCV.
  • Plugs looked normal.
We finally did a coolant pressure test and the oil then turned into a milkshake.
Blown/tweaked head gasket on cylinder #5.

Attachments

• bad head gasket.JPG
    bad head gasket.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 164
I have had them use water and everything looks great except some steam from time to time and after a 1/4 mile pass the coolant would be high. Even had a compression test come back ok. My guess the headgasklet were tweaked enough to leak under elevated cylinder psi but not fully compromised.

Yeah, I have also been having some knock issues as well as slightly high BLM. I bet when I am getting into boost, water is forced in somewhere. I dread pulling the heads. I will try some tests before doing so.

In this situation is it alright just to throw new head gaskets on and keep running? Or do you need to inspect the bottom end for damage? also will sludge in the oil filter lower oil pressure?

Lots of miles, lots of passes at the track? You know what you have thrown at it. I'd put hg in and keep running it. But if you think it needs looked at, pull it and inspect. These are pretty tough motors but can go south if abused.

Back