Header cracked what to do?

NEWCHAPTER

Need Speed
Just looking for some advice, do I try to have the driver's side welded or should I replace them. All stock right now, not planning anything major in upgrades. Maybe fuel system upgrade. Live in VA anyone know of a good place to go for maintenance. thanks

my wifes 86 GN's pass header has a crack that I can get to easily still on the car.

I saw this 2000 degree F exhaust crack repair pack that permatex and POR -15 makes I am gonna give it a whirl.

I 'll let u know if it works.

Jb weld will not work, it burns up ..this other stuff is good to like 2000 degrees so we will see.

Make sure if you do weld it, do it right the first time. Do a search here for the correct way to prep and weld it. I have tried the JB weld, along with similar products, and it would last long enough for the headers to get up to operating temps. I'd go to the store, come back home and check under the hood, and they'd be nowhere to be seen. Even when I formed a complete circle around the header to hold it on it would still "magically" be gone when i checked on them. I am currently getting an engine rebuild and I wish I could post pix of my headers. It looks like they have been re-welded like 10 times. That's why I said do it right the first time. BTW, even after all those re-welds, both sides are still badly cracked.:rolleyes:

Do it right

Best way I found to do it right.
1) Solvent wash and glass beed blast the whole header. Try to get inside where the crack is.
2) Heat the whole header up to 400' in an oven for about 15minutes.
3) Tig weld it as soon as it comes out of the oven.
4) Stick it back in the over and let it cool off slowly over night.
I found that most times if you don't heat it up and let it cool slowly it will crack again. Sometimes as soon as your done welding it.