You can type here any text you want

header hardware

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shocker998md

hey guys ive got a question,

Im currently a deployed marine and before i left i put my engine on an engine stand. While ive been gone i have been ordering parts that i need and by the time i get back i plan on having everything i need waiting for me. Now when i pulled my factory headers off, I think im very lucky that i didnt break any of the bolts, but they felt like they where close to breaking when i took them out. So i would like to replace all of the header harware. I looked around on cottens and kirbans and i can find two differnet arp stud kits, one in stainless and one that is not. Now i dont remember 100% what all is there from the factory but i dont think that just the stud kit will replace everything i need. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Alloy Boltz

Alloy Boltz - stock exhaust kit

231turbohexexh.JPG

I was looking at their 182 piece kit. Has anyone used it before? Looks like a good investment for 80$!

I bought one of those kits, don't remember which one, but not all the bolts were correct. I think some were geared towards the NA motor. The exhaust kit is perfect. I remember the valve cover bolts that came in the kit I ordered did not have the studs necessary to mount the sensors. The header bolts were also not correct for the turbo engine. Most everything else worked.

I think if you download the catalog and build a kit piece by piece you could get exactly what you need.

There is a selection between 231, and 231 Turbo. Did you get the Turbo kit?

Yeah, I got the turbo kit. The box even is labeled "turbo". They might have messed up when they were packing the box, but I doubt it. Also, the kit I got had a set labeled "fuel pump" which were longer than the ones we use for the block off plate. They package everything in groups, so it's not just a box of mixed up bolts that arrive.

Just remembered the intake manifold bolts did not have the studs on them either for the engine pulling eye and the other thing that requires it.

I think you would be better off building your own kit. I used all the bolts, but I had switch some around.

First - thanks for serving. Second - I bought grade 8 bolts and stainless washers from Home Depot for the headers and found replacement bolts for the cross-over.
PS - my son is active in the Navy - hooyaw...

I used ARP studs for the lower row on my Poston headers (supposed to use stock hardware) and hardware store studs on the top with grade 8 washers and nuts to hold the headers on, then ARP washers and nuts since I use the header bolts to hold my sparkplug wire looms on.
Thanks for being over there, I'm active Air Force stateside.

There is a selection between 231, and 231 Turbo. Did you get the Turbo kit?

If you look closely at the pictures, even the "turbo" kits have the wrong bolts. Wrong valve cover bolts, wrong thermostat bolts, etc. They're no different than any other run of the mill fastener vendor. Their kits are geared for an ordinary Buick V6.

so for you guys that went to the hardware store, what did you guys do for the studs? I plan on replacing everything.

hey guys I have bought a lot of bolts from Alloy Boltz and I will tell you they have great customer service I have never once had them give me any trouble when i called and said one of their bolt kits wasn’t correct they have always exchanged everything out for me no problems. They do want the incorrect bolts back but they have always shipped the new bolts the day I call. Also if you call and order they will go over sizes with you at that time if you want and allow you to make changes to the kit. if you want studs instead of bolt for valve covers just tell them and that’s what you will get. There kits are more for show so they tend to do away with the studs. I also like how everything is packaged individually and labeled.

hey guys I have bought a lot of bolts from Alloy Boltz and I will tell you they have great customer service I have never once had them give me any trouble when i called and said one of their bolt kits wasn’t correct they have always exchanged everything out for me no problems. They do want the incorrect bolts back but they have always shipped the new bolts the day I call. Also if you call and order they will go over sizes with you at that time if you want and allow you to make changes to the kit. if you want studs instead of bolt for valve covers just tell them and that’s what you will get. There kits are more for show so they tend to do away with the studs. I also like how everything is packaged individually and labeled.

x2

Back