Headers.

This question is directed more toward Nick, I noticed from the photo of your headers that you built, that the Wastegate piping is located directly under the turbo flange and it is almost 90* to the flow of exhaust gas. My question to you is did you have trouble controlling the boost with that setup. The reason i ask is that my wastegate is setup similar to this (TA 4 bolt headers had the tubing already welded like this) and i cannot for the life of me control the wastegate. It is basically useless. with a 4 psi spring is get 22psi.

The OP'er set his up on the outside radius of the header and from what i have read this is a more optimal positioning.

Just trying to see what kind of results you had with this location and if they were similar to mine.

Adrian

This question is directed more toward Nick, I noticed from the photo of your headers that you built, that the Wastegate piping is located directly under the turbo flange and it is almost 90* to the flow of exhaust gas. My question to you is did you have trouble controlling the boost with that setup. The reason i ask is that my wastegate is setup similar to this (TA 4 bolt headers had the tubing already welded like this) and i cannot for the life of me control the wastegate. It is basically useless. with a 4 psi spring is get 22psi.

The OP'er set his up on the outside radius of the header and from what i have read this is a more optimal positioning.

Just trying to see what kind of results you had with this location and if they were similar to mine...Adrian

Attached are pics to show the other side of the header/WG arrangement, and the other shows the installation in the car. The turbo support bracket [with the holes] is what we had to work around for the WG install.

I have no problem with boost control as my minimum boost is 16 psi and it can be increased in 1 psi increments. The WG is a Tial 44, and an Innovate Electronic controller with solenoids is used. :)

Welding the WG stub on a radius is preferred, but could not happen in my case.

Even though I used 1-5/8" primary tubes, the runners and crossover are just 2", for larger turbos we use larger runners.

Nick's new engine 3.jpgHeader 2.jpg

Just trying to see what kind of results you had with this location and if they were similar to mine.

Adrian

It will depend on your HP output. The gate perpendicular to the flow is not optimum. You would be surprised how much a difference it makes when the gate is more in line with the flow.