You can type here any text you want

Headlight Repair Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
Is it possible to remove the headlight motor with the headlight still in the down position?? I checked a link on Top Down Solutions and they said to raise the headlite by turning the motor counter clockwise while pulling on the headlite but mine doesn't budge. :cool:

I just changed both of my motors about an hour ago. I do not think you can change them with the lamps down.

I got them off a thirdgen fbody message board. thirdgen.org

Mine were acting flaky. I paid $60 shipped for 2 working ones. There are some new ones on Ebay. The cheapest I saw was $100 each. THe highest I saw was $125. I knew it was a crap shoot buying new. But I hardly drive the car. I figured I could replace them 3 times buying used. We'll see how it turns out. :p

Found some rebuilt ones for $80 each....thats not too bad and it has a 1 year warranty. Think thats the way I'll be going and I'll just repair the ones I have now for the future or maybe resell those?:cool:

Hi,
I am somewhat versed in the bad behaviors of our headlight motors. The usual problems they suffer from involve brush contacts and the mercury switch assembly. On my '86 Firebird, this was a repetitive problem, and I had to pull the door assembly several times to get things right.
Anyway, I imagine the problems with our '89 vehicles are similar.

Found some rebuilt ones for $80 each....thats not too bad and it has a 1 year warranty. Think thats the way I'll be going and I'll just repair the ones I have now for the future or maybe resell those?:cool:

Yes, I was thinking of buying those as well. I think you can trade yours in. If you fix yours the bolts will break off. You will have to retap the holes or just drill them out. Ask me how I know. :p

99% of the time, the headlight motor can be easily fixed with a piece of heater hose.
If the motor is running and the lights aren't coming up, then the gear center is rotted out. Mine did it and they had hardly been used with only 10k miles on the car.
Remove the motor, and unscrew the round cover..all kinds of dirt like particals will fall out, thats the rotten plastic of the center of the gear...the gear in these is made up of 2 parts, the outer part seems to last...
The inner part is triangular shaped and engages the outer part.
Cut a small peice of heater hose, about 1/2" and slip it over the center shaft, this will cause it to grab the triangular part of the outer gear and makes it work perfectly.

Here's some info on it
Firebird flip up headlight repair - Body - Third Gen .org : F-Body : Chevrolet Camaro, IROC, Z28, Pontiac Firebird, Trans Am

And the guide itself how to fix it for 12 cents :) (the link says 4th gen, but its really 3rd gen...)
4th Generation Headlight Fix

Back