Headliner Material?

Tonyrodz

Where can I find headliner material for my 87 GN? I can't find anyone who carries it. I just need a little to recover my t-top car.
Thx

Any Jo-Ann fabric store will have it in stock on the shelf. The best glue to use is permatex headliner adhesive (comes in a spray can).

Tonyrodz said:
Would it be the proper gray color? That's what I'm looking for.

I thought it was perfect if not damn close. Take a piece and look for yourself. I think they call it light grey?

is it called headliner material or labeled something else?
I got 3 yards to do my hard top at Jo-Ann fabrics. I think the material was called headliner fabric, they had black and gray. The gray is a perfect match in my opinion.

It has the foam backing and everything. It was called headliner material iirc.

need any install tips?

-use ~80 grit sand paper to clean the musty old foam off the headliner frame
-lay the new fabric over the frame, position it evenly. fold over 1/2 of the material and spray the glue on to the exposed half of the frame
-careful with the spray glue..... don't let it get on the fabric side of the new material
-don't poke the new material when the wet glue is behind it. use gentle even pressure.
-now do the other half....

Beatav8 - Any hints on taking the headliner out and putting it into a T-Top car? Do I need to pull off the trim around the rear side windows?
I'm going to try to start tonight. I found the fabric at Joann's they call it grey headliner material.
Do you spray the adhesive on both the board and the fabric? Thanks,
Joel

Beatav8 - Any hints on taking the headliner out and putting it into a T-Top car? Do I need to pull off the trim around the rear side windows?
I'm going to try to start tonight. I found the fabric at Joann's they call it grey headliner material.
Do you spray the adhesive on both the board and the fabric? Thanks,
Joel

Yes, all the trim touching the headliner needs to be removed, it's easier that way since the board is a bit delicate. Spraying both the board and the foam is a good idea.

Thanks, are there clips holding the trim on around the T-tops? I've read there are clips on the back trim piece above the rear window. How about the plastic trim between the T's and the headliner? If so, any tips on removing the plastic trim?
Thanks,
Joel

I'm not sure how the t-top cars are assembled.

The rear trim by the back window has screws.

Thanks, going to give it a shot tomorrow morning. I'll take my time and see what I find. Driving me nuts to have the headliner sagging.
Joel

Doesn't the metal rear trim above the back window have some kind of clips holding it on? I have to do the same job real soon myself.

Yes there are clips on the rear window as well, but when I replaced my T-Top headliner I removed the rear trim screws, removed the damaged headliner and then had enough room to slide the replacement in without removing the clips. With the age of these cars those clips will snap and then you will have to buy replacement clips as well.

gnonyx - you are a mind reader. I just pulled my headliner out of my T-top car. removed screws on t-top plastic trim and removed the trim included the piece in the middle which is held in by those one-way push in plastic push clips (three of them). Then I removed the screws on the side door trim so I could pull them out of the way. Then I pulled the liner out. recovered and now I am getting ready to put back in and question was answered by you regarding can I get back in without messing with the clips in the rear, I also just removed the screws in the rear.

Man was it tough to get the liner material into the coat hangers, I bet I could do better with less creases with more practice.

I will be glad to get this done, I'm looking forward to getting the family out for a no-t-top ride to the beach.

Joel