You can type here any text you want

Heads out vs Heads In (car) Valve Springs???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qws2000

I just got back from a Speed Shop Garage that only really works on race cars. I ask him if he can change my valve springs, and the motor is in the car, and I have all the parts needed to do the job.. I even have a spec sheet with where to set the shim ht and springs are numbered. The owner (40yrs of owning shop) strongly told me there is no way of getting this job rt with the heads on the car. Told me why chance your motor or anything, pull the heads and send them to the machine shop, also you are not going to find anyone willing to do a valve change in the car... I have tried 5 other shops and he is right no one will touch this mess... Why???

I did mine and I had never touched a valve spring before. piece of cake!

They looked under the hood and got scared. I have seen people use air which is the way I do it or I have seen people feed small rope into spark plug hole and ten turn over engine by HAND and it pushes rope up into valves to hold them when you take springs off disconnect the battery before starting the job. then turn engine backwards until you can pull rope out. Auto Zone sells the on car spring compressor. DO NOT USE STARTER TO TURN ENGINE OVER IF YOU USE ROPE METHOD. SEVERE ENGINE DAMAGE WILL RESULT. That's why I said turn over by hand and disconnect battery. Not to bad to do. If you have never done this job get ready for a learning experience that will help you in the future. If you have any questions just ask. good luck

A good spring compressor tool goes a long way. I think Kirbans sells one made from an old stock rocker arm. That's the way to go if you still have stock style rocker shafts.

compressed air in the cylinder works great.

I am going to go against the grain here a bit. The engine is modified, from your sig:

"Roller can 218/212, Champion gn1 ported iron heads, beehive springs"

It is a race engine, far from stock. I have a feeling that the replacement springs are rather high in rate. Maybe even a double coil?

If so and there is A/C in the car I wouldn't want to do them in car either. I replaced the springs in the GN about a year ago with Comp 980's (100# on the seat). It was easy, no A/C and manual brakes. Lots of room to work.

Used the rope in the spark plug hole to hold the valves up. It really was a piece of cake. If I tried to install double coil springs, and measure the install heights, don't think it would have been so easy. Who wants to hang over a fender to do that kind of work.

Note: no install height measurement as it was a quick repair due to a broken damper on a spring. Just replaced them all with a similar inexpensive set to get the engine up and going again.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I did mine 2 times in two weeks and changed a cam in the process while the engine and heads in the car , it can be done , did I say it is easy , no way but not impossible , mine has AC and GN1 valve covers and roller rockers , it takes time to do them right and a lot of patience . I took the beehives off and put then in the trash can where they belong , installed a set of Kmotions 750 , took them off and put a set of 1201 pac double springs set to the cam and head and all is fine now . Number 6 cylinder is a double sob with the AC , all the others is a piece of cake . I believe if you find a Turbo Buick Mechanic he would do it for you in the car even TurboBuRick will do them while you wait .

I don't know what kind of springs... (Brian will have to chime in)...I am changing cause they do not have enough tension, I can not find any one who knows Buicks and works on them. Long Island has a ton of car guys, just not willing to help me out... Disappointed I guess....

Is the cam in the car yet? I know some of the billet cams require work to the front of the block

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yes, This is the motor that was done last yr, The stroker is done sitting on the stand

Heads on man!!!! Why put your self through all that extra hassle, money having to replace gaskets, reseal the motor, ext.... All the crap you have to take off just to take the heads off...... bla, just use air, a magnet, a screw style spring compressor, cover the oil return holes with shop towels, and be done.

Ill ship you the tools you need. You might need the correct air fitting for your compressor to connect to the air tool. Kirban spring tool is new with directions. Just let me know. It really is not hard I promise. You might want to buy a pen magnet too. Great to pull out the valve locks. It will take you maybe an hour or two to do it your first time.

Yes the great pen magnet, extends like an antenna, that thing is almost aways near by when im working on anything under the hood. That and a good light.

Isn't David Husek? the trans builder in/on Long Island? Maybe he could help.

Just changed my springs out (stock motor) two weeks ago. Number six was a little bit of a pain but I was able to do each cylinder in 5 minutes. I did number six first and the rest were easy after that. I used my air compressor and the spring compressor from Cottons but mine is stock so you will need a different spring compressor.

When you do hook up the air it will turn the engine over to get that cylinder to BDC and you will hear a little air leaking by the rings. When I turned on the air it sounded like the rings were shot by the way the air sounded like it was rushing through the motor but it took almost 5 minutes to drop enough air pressure to get the compressor to kick on. The new valve springs did wonders for the smoothness of wot. The valve float was bad before and now it is gone. So happy I did it.

Znix, if that was a Honest offer, that's pretty cool to offer your tools to help me.. It is nice to see that there are still good people left... Thanks for the offer and for everyone that offered to answer any questions along the way of the install.. Bison offered to do it for me, and Yes I will Pay Hi m but he is very busy so when he is free the car will go to him...

Znix, if that was a Honest offer, that's pretty cool to offer your tools to help me.. It is nice to see that there are still good people left... Thanks for the offer and for everyone that offered to answer any questions along the way of the install.. Bison offered to do it for me, and Yes I will Pay Hi m but he is very busy so when he is free the car will go to him...

I was being honest :). No problem dude, this community has helped me out a ton and I like to give back when I can. Bison is the man! He just upgraded my 6131 to the 6176 that's in my sig! You will be in good hands.

Back