You can type here any text you want

Heads?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sal Lubrano

I have been looking around for some power. I think it is time for some heads. I want to keep the stock steels. Here is my question. I know a full bowl port and gasket match along with matching the intake is the way to go. But, will I see any gains by bolting up a set of bowl ported only heads. Is that enough to open up and allow the motor to breath better or am I wasting my money?

I recently spoke to Frank Garbacz about this very question and if I remember correctly he told me alot of the gains are in the bowl work. I was gonna have him port me a set of irons with larger ferrea valves, however I came across a race ported set for cheap and decided to go that route. I will try and find his number. From what I've been told and have read he does great port work. Where you located?

I believe this is the number I used to contact Frank Garbacz...443-907-2079 (Elkton, Maryland).

Sal- NOKA72 on here had a nice set of heads for sale i think for $300. he s in brooklyn. (Vinnie)

Hey Sal/// Ncturbos .....keith Was The Man I Delt With Like I Said...beautiful Work....great Guy To Deal With.....give Me A Call If I Can Help Ya Out With Anything..vinny

The bowl is the biggest restriction. The ports just need lightly cleaned up. The factory intake ports neck down smaller than the head ports, so just a quick match to a stock gasket is needed. If you ever pull an exhaust valve out of a stock head, you will see how horrible it is. The bowl necks down under the seat, and the guide is huge.

The bowl is the biggest restriction. The ports just need lightly cleaned up. The factory intake ports neck down smaller than the head ports, so just a quick match to a stock gasket is needed. If you ever pull an exhaust valve out of a stock head, you will see how horrible it is. The bowl necks down under the seat, and the guide is huge.

The exhaust ports suck!!!! I'm doing them now and Its retarded how they have all the holes drilled for the EGR and heat risers. I wonder how bad those gaping holes in cylinders 3&4 are hurting performance? I know Gbody has heads that dont have any holes in the exhaust ports for sale.

I have been looking around for some power. I think it is time for some heads. I want to keep the stock steels. Here is my question. I know a full bowl port and gasket match along with matching the intake is the way to go. But, will I see any gains by bolting up a set of bowl ported only heads. Is that enough to open up and allow the motor to breath better or am I wasting my money?

80% of the potential gain is in the bowl area and valve job. Gasket matching and polishing does very little if anything. Porting the intake then matching it to the head opening is worth something but not as much as the bowl cleanup and valve job. Theres a lot to be gained on the exhaust side

The exhaust ports suck!!!! I'm doing them now and Its retarded how they have all the holes drilled for the EGR and heat risers. I wonder how bad those gaping holes in cylinders 3&4 are hurting performance? I know Gbody has heads that dont have any holes in the exhaust ports for sale.

The holes dont hurt it that much. Mine still has the un-filled holes but the valve job and bowls are at least as good as Champions. The intake is opened up as far as possible without adding material to the outside and the match to the heads is really good. My heads are the old 6293 castings.

An old guy once told me 80% of the performance gain is done in the first 20% of the time spent. I used to spend alot of time with mirror polishing combustion chambers and exhaust ports on Harley heads. Then after pulling a set back off after 1000 miles to set up for different cams, everything was coated with carbon. Now I just finish with a 80 grit flap, 150 on the exhaust for aluminum. Making the ports line up is the only real gain to be had port wise. There is some casting shift and flash that can be removed. Figure 10hp or so port matching, and 40 to 50 or even more in the bowl area. The exhaust side always got me though. The guide fills up the bowl area, but the ports are short and straight. The intake sucks having to jog around the pushrod, but the intake manifold ports are just as screwy. When looking at the stock heads, it is a wonder these engines make the kind of power they do.

Thank you for all the replies. I have one more question. How much will I be losing by installing the stock unported intake on a set of ported heads. Is it worth installing the ported heads and then later on porting the intake. I don't mind the work, changing an intake is actually one of the easier projects. I am looking at it from the performance side. How much of a restriction is the stock intake. Thanks for the help. You guys are a great help.

Thank you for all the replies. I have one more question. How much will I be losing by installing the stock unported intake on a set of ported heads. Is it worth installing the ported heads and then later on porting the intake. I don't mind the work, changing an intake is actually one of the easier projects. I am looking at it from the performance side. How much of a restriction is the stock intake. Thanks for the help. You guys are a great help.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/216319-gn1-rs-ported-unported-stock-heads.html Here is a comparison of the stock intake vs. ported.

Not to come off rude that's not my intention, but why don't you just wait and do the intake and heads the right way when you get the money? Why go half @$$? :redface:

Underboost that is not a rude question. Actually it is a very good one. I have found a used set of ported heads and I was thinking of getting them. I know the best way is to send my heads and inatke out. I was curiuos of my gains with a stock intake and ported heads. Also how much will I be leaving on the table by not porting the intake.

Underboost that is not a rude question. Actually it is a very good one. I have found a used set of ported heads and I was thinking of getting them. I know the best way is to send my heads and inatke out. I was curiuos of my gains with a stock intake and ported heads. Also how much will I be leaving on the table by not porting the intake.

sal-------if you really want to know what you end up with i would be glad to flow the heads for you------just ship them to me and i'll do it in a day or so and get them right back to you-------obviously i have bone stockers i can compare them to and ported and stock intakes that i can bolt them to----it will give you an accurate answer to your questions------and it can tell you exactly how much those heat riser ports are hurting things.............RC

send them to khai at knperformance his email is knperformance@hotmail.com he will do all three heads, intake and doghouse. bigger valves, new guides, springs and fill in egr ports and cut and weld egr on intake. and they will flow like crazy expect 5 to 6 tenths faster on lower boost. and the cost will be less than others. he is a board member Flickr: KN Performance's Photostream

good luck on your choice

send them to khai at knperformance his email is knperformance@hotmail.com he will do all three heads, intake and doghouse. bigger valves, new guides, springs and fill in egr ports and cut and weld egr on intake. and they will flow like crazy expect 5 to 6 tenths faster on lower boost. and the cost will be less than others. he is a board member Flickr: KN Performance's Photostream

good luck on your choice

Same person, just (2) different points of contact.

K.

Back