You can type here any text you want

heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pajo

I can get my hands on 1982 -3.8 l. stage one heads and the person that is selling them knows less about them then me . is anyone familiar with them would like to know if they will work in our turbo engines ..?

Attachments

• stage one heads 2.jpg
    stage one heads 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 369
  • stage one heads.jpg
    stage one heads.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 376
When you say Stage 1 heads, are they cast number 8445 and with the EGR holes un-drilled?

Buick factory Stage 1 heads do not have heat crossover passages from what I remember.

Thats correct, I'm just making sure he's getting what he thinks he's getting.

When you say Stage 1 heads, are they cast number 8445 and with the EGR holes un-drilled?
stg1 are not 8445. they are 6293 and the ones in his pics are not stg1 either. Ive got a nice ported set of the ones in the pics that i ran low 10's with. They all flow almost the same unported. No advantage to one over the other.

stg1 are not 8445. they are 6293 and the ones in his pics are not stg1 either. Ive got a nice ported set of the ones in the pics that i ran low 10's with. They all flow almost the same unported. No advantage to one over the other.

Really? So I must have an odd set then. These are Stage 1's from Brian.

Attachments

• P3180031.jpg
    P3180031.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 305
  • P3180032.jpg
    P3180032.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 302
  • P3180033.jpg
    P3180033.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 291
Really? So I must have an odd set then. These are Stage 1's from Brian.

Those are not stage I Jeremy. Those were special heads made up for testing. I've seen several sets of them but all the stage I heads are 293 castings. They'll work about the same as stage heads though.:smile:

Those are not stage I Jeremy. Those were special heads made up for testing. I've seen several sets of them but all the stage I heads are 293 castings. They'll work about the same as stage heads though.:smile:

Huh, weird! What exactly are you doing with several sets of these heads?

What are the exact differences in a Stage 1 head as compared to these?

Those heads were used for oil testing and they come up on evilbay once in a while. The basic difference is that there are minor casting differences, like thickness of the deck surface.

Ok so i need to go and take a look at the numbers and post them back here I guess.

does anyone have a picture of what early stage 1 should look like - Thanks .

The StageI heads that I have seen were 6293 castings. HOWEVER, not all 6293 castings ARE StageI heads. Some had bridged water ports, others don't and then there is the StageI head that has bridged water ports, no EGR passages drilled. I have never sonic tested the deck thickness on a StageI either, so I can't comment on the deck thickness. But it would be easy enough for the factory to modify the core plug to gain deck thickness with out changing the outer core box and having it look identical to a production 6293. I have had ONE set of production 6293 castings with the bridged water ports and drilled EGR passages on my porting bench, but that was probably 18+ years ago.

The heads picured by the original poster are not really worth anything. There are lots of 8445 heads out there for the same or less money than the heads shown. (unless they are free) The difference between 8445 and the ones shown are probably not quantifiable, BUT the bridged water port is "claimed" to help retain the head gasket better, that's why Buick added it. Something Smokey Yunick would always do.....weld the passage closed, then drill two holes back through. (same with the block, too) The StageII heads are dual drilled rear passages. FWIW.

Thanks for all the good info everyone but earlier I called the seller and somebody jumped on these heads before me so they are sold.

Pajo, check with Brian @ Gbodyparts, I think he still has several sets of those special Buick heads, at least he did when I was down there a couple months ago.

Back