You can type here any text you want

Heat vs. Shift Relationship

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Gentlemen,
Upon the advice of many GN enthusiasts (especially Bruce), I just finished installing an Art Carr valve body kit in my 200-4R. Unfortunately, while I was in there, I realized that someone had already installed a shift kit in an "earlier life". I could tell because the plate was already drilled and the springs had that "after market" look to them. I went ahead and installed the Art Carr kit anyway, just to play it safe. My question concerns my 1-2 shift. I haven't done a line pressure test yet, although I am planning on it in the upcoming week. I consider my 1-2 shift to be too mushy, almost like something is slipping. It's bearable if the car hasn't been run hard and is at normal operating temperature. But it seems after two runs and the transmission gets good and hot, the 1-2 shift starts reminding me of a Cadillac Sedan DeVille shift. So I guess what I'm asking is: is there a relationship between the heat the transmission is developing and the firmness of the shift? BTW I will be installing a B&M Supercooler this week also. Its the 28000 GVW model. Thanks for the reply - BB

Most definitly...

Kinda like how you have higher oil pressure cold in the motor. Same thing . That is one of the things running the Tractor Hydraulic fluid helps is hot viscosity. Also, did you install all three ck balls in VB? Leave out the center one. Also if pressure starts to fall off, you could have another issue brewing but we will wait for the pressure ck.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

Thanks Bruce

I installed a total of 3 check balls in the valve body, and then another 7 in the case. I followed the directions to the "T". I'm going to give the Tractor Fluid a try as well, didn't know about it until your post up above, so I did a search for some info. I've got to get all the stuff rounded up for the pressure test, just got the ATSG book in from JC Whitney - very informative. Thanks again - BB

heheheh

Put on cooler and remove middle ck ball in VB. Also you can firm up 1-2 acc spring too. :D
Hope you put in a drain plug last time >>>>>>>>LOLOLOL
if not, I'll bet you do now :)

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

Alright no more laughing!

No, I didn't install a drain plug last time, yes you're right I'M GOING TO INSTALL ONE THIS TIME! Getting the middle check ball out of the VB is no problem, (other than the trans fluid shower I'll be taking), but how do I make the 1-2 spring adjustment you mentioned? - BB:p

When are you going to play with?

I will send you the spring set up to run for freight only if you like. Email Mark addy ( mlkkeefer@aol.com) and we will send it out. If you want to chat more about it gimme call next week. If you want I can tell you on phone what to do. :)

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

Back