Hellacious squeal

IMG_2576.JPG

This is what I use. But I can't guarantee it's the length you need. But try and get a gatorback. Amazon is your best bet.

Pretty sure the Gatorbacks are no longer with us.

I've got about 5 here from when I heard they were getting phased out.

I miss the old old old Gatorbacks with the grooves on the smooth side (hence the name) that caused a whistle when running. I guess I was in the minority since now they changed over to bragging about how quiet they are. :)

Pretty sure the Gatorbacks are no longer with us.

I've got about 5 here from when I heard they were getting phased out.

I miss the old old old Gatorbacks with the grooves on the smooth side (hence the name) that caused a whistle when running. I guess I was in the minority since now they changed over to bragging about how quiet they are. :)

You're right, they were phased out. However, continental makes one called the "continental poly V groove". Really quality belts.

Been there, had a constant squeak until car got really warmed up.

Along with Turboelky above, I replaced my belt with the 1/2 inch shorter Continental Elite 4060635. (This was the one that cross-referenced to the Gatorback referenced in many earlier posts on the board.) Continental bought out Goodyear and the Poly V is the spiritual successor to the Gatorback.

It took care of my squeak and was not too difficult to get on.
Poly V.jpg

Been there, had a constant squeak until car got really warmed up.

Along with Turboelky above, I replaced my belt with the 1/2 inch shorter Continental Elite 4060635. (This was the one that cross-referenced to the Gatorback referenced in many earlier posts on the board.) Continental bought out Goodyear and the Poly V is the spiritual successor to the Gatorback.

It took care of my squeak and was not too difficult to get on.
View attachment 299742
I have a feeling that amazon is about to sell out on these belts :D

I stopped a squeal years ago on my Ttype by moving my crank pulley toward the front of the car by placing washers behind it for each of the bolt holes. There was a misalignment between the crank and water pump pulleys. GM used to sell a crank washer to accomplish this,so they did acknowledge the misalignment problem.

I stopped a squeal years ago on my Ttype by moving my crank pulley toward the front of the car by placing washers behind it for each of the bolt holes. There was a misalignment between the crank and water pump pulleys. GM used to sell a crank washer to accomplish this,so they did acknowledge the misalignment problem.
I have this issue because I didn't install the oil slinger...couldn't find it.

Every water pump I'm measured with a surface plate had the flange in the wrong place. On my current pump I had to pull it .069" to make it line up with the crank pulley.

I looked at my crank pulley this morning and realized it's pretty far off. Unless it's my water pump pulley is way forward but it lines up with the rest pretty good.

Post the part number of the belt youre currently running. If you got a dayco belt from autozone their listing is wrong for our cars and the belt is a half inch too long which will put the tensioner out of its effective range. A shorter belt will fix the problem. +2 on the gatorback belt, i keep a few spares just in case but since switching to the shorter goodyear belt i have had zero problems. I believe the part number ends in 635 (as mentioned above) instead of 640 which was the dayco (the last numbers are the length, 64" vs 63.5").

There ya go! At least you caught it before it threw the belt and shredded a perfect hood liner... ask me how i know!

There ya go! At least you caught it before it threw the belt and shredded a perfect hood liner... ask me how i know!

Funny, I go deep into the 10's as often as I can with a Dayco 5060640 and have never had one spit or shred, though I do have aftermarket pulleys and a billet tensioner. The tensioner has only been on the car a couple of years, though and I've used the Dayco belts since I got the car in 2010.