Help!!!! 466748-9005

strokethis

Hey guys im new to the site. didn't know if you guys could help me out. I got a 87 t type a few weeks ago and the turbo needs a rebuild. The part number is 466748-9005 i was told this is a up grade but i can not find anything for this turbo. any help would be great. thanks guys.

i was told this is a gnx turbo. i didn't know if there were anybody that is a gnx guru that could help me?

Welcome aboard. The part number won't always tell you want it is. Post a pic from several angles to show any markings it has. There are quite a few different turbo out there and I'd seriously doubt that it's one off a GNX but anything is possible.

Thank you! I will try to post pics tomorrow but the turbo measures 54mm not the 44 that is standard (i don't know if that matters) and this is the only thing i found on the part number-
GNX 1987 3.8L V6 P NON-CERAMIC FOR 466748-9005 409174-9065 TB03-3 430819-0029 TB0348

Scratch that, I actually believe it to be a TE34. TA49 has a 58MM right?

it could be one of the old "stage 2" turbos. Pics will tell the tale.

How do you know the turbo needs to be rebuilt?

Post a pic of the engine setup, along with the turbo.

hey i was wrong about the 54mm it measures 59.43mm so its probably is 58mm right? the turbine is .82 ar. sorry about the pics they are off of my cell that is all i have. Thanks again guys for all of your help. if anyone wants to call me they can 810 577 0810 mike

Attachments

• turbo1.jpg
    turbo1.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 95
  • turbo2.jpg
    turbo2.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 82
  • turbo 3.jpg
    turbo 3.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 90
  • turbo 4.jpg
    turbo 4.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 85
It possibly may be a 3231 or a TE32 which is a 55mm Compressor wheel. If the wheel rubbed it could have measured 54 instead of 55.

I was wrong on the 54mm. Its is NOT 54mm and it is measuring 59.43 so that is why i am thinking it is 58mm. the wheel never rubbed at all i just felt some play in that shaft up and down but not in and out. thanks again

If it is measuring 59mm on the inducer on the compressor wheel it could be a 6031 turbine wheel Exducer (smallest part of turbine wheel) would be 57mm, 6052 turbine wheel would measure 62mm or a 6076 turbine wheel would measure 65mm. Most likely it would be a 6031 or a 6052 on a Buick. Hope this helps

based on the pics and description, its most likely a Garrett "stage 2" upgrade turbo that all the vendors sold in the early days. Larger compressor than stock, stock size turbine, Garrett .82A/R exhaust housing.

If it has no in-out play, and the wheel has not hit, then its probably ok to run.

Its pretty old-school though.

Bob

worth anything as far as $$, probably but its pretty old-tech. So no more than a couple hundred I would think.

worth anything as far as HP, sure, its got more potential than the stock one, but they tend to be a bit sluggish to spool. There are better options for someone looking to purchase, since you already have it, you might as well run it...

Bob

will i have a stock .63 housing i wondering if i can switch it over. also do you know of a place where i can get a rebuild kit for it? i just got the car a couple weeks ago. Its a 87, i bought 50lb injectors walbro pump and hot wire cold air exhaust and planned on buying a scanmaster but didn't know what was the best way to go on the scanmaster or powerlogger? i wanted to put it on e85 also but it looks like injectors are gonna be to small? not sure

I'd it's a stock turbine it's a stage 2 as Bob explained.

bison im not fallowing what your saying. I was saying i have a .63 off another turbo that i was wondering if i could put on this turbo.

running the stock exhaust housing would probably work well. But considering the turbo's advanced age, you might not be successful taking it apart without damage. You should consider getting a 'turbo guy' involved (like Bison for example)

for most 'street' guys, the Scanmaster is the logical first purchase. For advanced tuning and troubleshooting the PL is more in depth and should be on your ToDo list.