You can type here any text you want

help choosing cam!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Roller cams are more of a conversation piece than anything.
I totally disagree. The benefits of roller cams are numerous and well documented.

I am going from a 212/212 flat tappet to a 212/206 billet roller from Weber.
Its not an apples to apples build, but if I have the opportunity to replace with better, I will.

We're y'all this tough on me when I first started? Probably... Lol, I deserved it. Roller cams are a huge improvement over a flat tappet. You can grind in faster ramps, more lift, and not have to worry about wiping a lobe with the pressure needed to hold the lifter on the cam. Post up the end goals of the car and we can help. Very knowledgeable guys here.

I totally disagree. The benefits of roller cams are numerous and well documented.[/QUOTE

We can all agree to disagree when it comes to opinions on roller vs flat. Either option will work depending on the application. There are well-known engine builders in this community that have built 9 sec TB running flat-tappet with "0" issues.

It sounds like you are building a car that will mainly be driven on the street? A 212/212 roller cam will work just fine in this application with stock heads or stock ported heads. The Comp Cam lobe for this duration is a #3312. With this lobe, you will somewhere around .503" lift with stock rocker arms. For an iron head application I would go with 112 LSA.

You can expect a smooth idle with this cam and good performance under boost.

You will need to cut the top of the valve guide or the spring retainer will contact the valve seal/guide. You will need to replace your exhaust valves if they are stock valves. The stock exhaust valve has an undercut on the stem and it will not work well with a stem seal.

Personally I think you have bought a turbo that is much larger than you really need for a quick. fun street car. A 70mm turbo may not spool well with a tight converter and will not be much fun to drive on the street. As far as turbos go, there are alot better choices for a quick responsive street car.

Dave

Stock heads gonna stud em down... but I'm gonna have to make some changes with a 212 if im.not mistaken??

IMO, you'll be very disappointed in performance if you try using a 70mm turbo with stock heads regardless of what cam you use. A 70mm turbo will support about 900/1000 hp and stock heads would never flow that much air to support that large of a turbo. I would talk with Chris Hogeland, Nick Micale, or Bison for the correct application to use a 70mm turbo.

Also, a little FYI, to really do it right, there's a lot more you're going to need. Using a turbo that size is going to require a lot more then just heads and cam. What's your bottom end? Will it support that much hp? You'll need things like: fuel system, engine management, IC, probably a new radiator, transmission work, rear axle, some suspension work, dp, headers, wastegate...... It's a lot of work and lots of $$$.... Welcome to the board and good luck.

My suggestion would be to loose the 3800 converter for a true 2800/3000 stall- 245mm, ditch the 70mm turbo for a 58/60 mm, drop in a small roller cam, over build the fuel system, install an alky kit get it tuned right and turn it way up and hold on... no need for a 9 second. 85lb/min turbo that wont work with the rest of your combo.

My suggestion would be to loose the 3800 converter for a true 2800/3000 stall- 245mm, ditch the 70mm turbo for a 58/60 mm, drop in a small roller cam, over build the fuel system, install an alky kit get it tuned right and turn it way up and hold on... no need for a 9 second. 85lb/min turbo that wont work with the rest of your combo.
lots of good input here^^^^^^^

We're y'all this tough on me when I first started? Probably... Lol, I deserved it. Roller cams are a huge improvement over a flat tappet. You can grind in faster ramps, more lift, and not have to worry about wiping a lobe with the pressure needed to hold the lifter on the cam. Post up the end goals of the car and we can help. Very knowledgeable guys here.

Just now catching up with the thread had small emergency. Like I've stated before I want the stock head just port them. Anyways I will be starting a new thread that way I can give you more details and hopefully everyone can keep up the support. I appreciate it greatly

Back