You can type here any text you want

HELP! Complete idiot wheel cylinders

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87-WE2

Back in business!!
I'm neck deep in the rear brakes. I had a wheel cylinder leaking, so I'm changing them out with the S10 cylinders. Got everything apart and was trying to remove the wheel cylinder. There's a part directly above the wheel cylihnder (no idea what it's called). It goes thru the backing plate and has a 22mm nut on it. I thought this had to be removed. It was a VITCH to get loose. As soon as it got loose, it got tight again. Threads were rusted so I oiled them. The "thing" is now half way off and I can't budge it either way.

Does anyone know what "thing" I'm talking about?
What is it? (in case I need to replace the damned thing!!!)
Does it need to come off when replacing wheel cylinders?

The rears have a spring clip on it holding it on. To say the least, they're a bitch. I use a wrench on the wheel side to push the cylinder in while using a pick of some sort to release the cylinder. Total PITA.

thank you for your response charlief1. one wheel cylinder off. what a @#$&*. One of my neighbors honestly applauded when I slam-dunked it in the garbage can.

Now about this mystery part??? Anybody any help?
It's the piece that the return springs hook onto. What is it? Any idea if it's readily available at a parts store? I don't even know what the heck it is to ask for when I go in?

pics of mystery part!!

thank you charlie. see pics. one is of the "front" or what would face outside with all the return springs hooked to it.
one is of the "back" or the inside behind the backing plate with a 22mm or 7/8" nut on it that attaches it to the backing plate.

the top pic is turned 90-degrees. the part i'm talking about is at 9 o'clock in the picture, but in real life as you look at the wheel well, it's at 12 o'clock.

You dont have to take that off. Thats the anchor for the spring hardware and the shoes stop against it. tighten it back up

realize now that I don't hav eto take it off. My prob is that I can't get it to tighten or loosen. I'm afraid I may have to destructify it. If I do, then I just need to know what to tell the other dingalings behind the counter what i'm after!!!

thanks for everybody's help so far. going to try to turn a wrench now. I have 30 min. to get the fliggin thing back on.

Thanks charlief1 and chopped39

Got the driver's side done. Thanks for the help guys. The passenger should be much easier now that I know what I'm doing.

Thanks again guys. your help and support are much appreciated.

That's what this board is all about Dan. We try to help each other when we can and if we can't we try to point you to someone that can. Glad I could help ya.:biggrin:

Good job getting it figured out. One habit I got into early was snapping pics of things before disassembly. That made it easier when figuring out those darn springs. :) You should feel lucky that you got the brake lines off of the cylinders without damage.

HA - I didn't!!! That flare nut was impossibly tight. It rounded over almost instantly. Good ole Vise-Grip got it off. I'll be getting a new brake line on the driver side. Tackling passenger tonight - I'm sure I'll be getting a new brake line over there, too:mad::biggrin:

Several new swear words were made up last night.

I know what you mean. I am normally pretty even tempered, but I've been known to have a word or two with my car. I always have to walk out of the shop to see if any neighbors are outside after I speak harshly with the nut/bolt/part in question.

Classic Tube will sell you just the rear brake lines. They don't list them on the website, but if you call they definitely sell them.

The rear wheel cylinders are just plain stupid. They do stretch your swear inventory.

Back