Help! Dell Computer Problem

bishir

Serenity Now
If it wasn't for work I'd never be able to check tb.com! Help!

I moved recently to a area that does not have Cable DSL access. :( Therefore, I must go back to dial-up. However, my computer will not allow me to setup a dial-up connection via my modem. Everytime I try it greys out the dialup option. It will only allow a DSL connection even when I disable the Ethernet card. If you've had similar problems with a Dell computer please tell me what you did to solve this issue. I'll probably have to call Dell tonight if I don't find any answers.

I would say I'm pretty computer saavy, but this issue has me perplexed.

Thanks,

James

Dell is not going to help - this is a software issue.

It would help if we knew what operating system you have, but I'll take a first stab at it.

Assuming win9x flavor.

Is dial-up networking installed? Has this machine ever dialed out on the modem successfully?

If you are sure there is a modem installed and properly configured - go into the add/remove programs icon in the control panel - under windows options, and remove and add or just add dial-up networking.

This should install the dial-up adapter under the network tab and add tcp/ip as the proper protocol.

If you get that far and still have trouble, check back in with more info about the hardware and OS and we can go from there.

Sorry, forgot some things.

Yes, I am using Windows XP home edition. I do have a modem that operates correctly. I can call people via the computer and talk to them. I'm not sure about Dial-up networking, but I did reinstall windows just in case. I've never used this computer to dial-up before since I had a home network utilizing a Cable Modem. Somehow, I think the configuration of this may be causing my problem. I cannot for the life of me make new connection via the connection wizard or though a manual connection. The computer recognizes the modem in every way except it will not let me proceed with anything other than a DSL connection.

Thanks for you help so far,

James

if you go to your control panel, then go to your internet options what's listed in your connections tab? You may have to delete what is there then run the setup again. I've gone through this before on my computer, going from dial up to dsl, then back to dialup when I moved only to go back to dsl again. If that doesn't work, look at the modems in your control panel, you may have to create a new connection that way.

I hope this all works out for you

You also may want to go into internet options - tools - options - connections and uncheck the lan setting. It may have greyed out 'never dial', then right from there do as TJ said - (add a new connect).

If it still fails at this point, try www.bamnet.com and see if you can connect. They have no software browsing ability - they will take you through a setup. Costs 6 cents per minute IF you get on - much cheaper than the 30 bucks or whatever that Msoft would charge!

Thanks for the help. I've been away from the computer at work so I couldn't respond.

I tried almost everything last night. XP doesn't appear to have a seperate dial-up networking feature. Everytime I try to do anything dial-up related it tells me Error 711, which is some kind of configuration error. The computer was also refusing to allow me to delete my DSL connection until I uninstalled the Ethernet card. Once I was rid of that it would not let me setup a new dial-up connection at all. I'm starting to think it's something with my modem, but it works great when I use it to dial phone numbers. Argg... I'd rather be wrenching on the car...

James

Who is your ISP? I would re-install the ISP software this may solve the problem or right click on the Internet Explorer Icon>go to properties>go to connections tab> select dial whenever a network connection is unavailable. If that doesn't work right click my network places>select create a new connection and run the create a new connection wizard. Hope that helps.

If you have the all the original software that came with your Dell computer, do this.....
-Right click on "My Computer", then click "Properties"
-Click the "Hardware" tab, then click "Device Manager"
-Click the + sign next to "Modems", then RIGHT click on your modem
-Click "Properties" and see what it says in the "Device Status" box
-If it says it is working properly, click OK on that screen which will take you back to Device Manager
-Right click on your modem again, and click "un-install", then click "OK" (do not restart your computer yet)
-Go back to the device manager screen and click the + sign next to "Network Adapters"
-Right click on your network card and click "disable"
-Close all windows and restart your computer. The "found new hardware" wizard will re-install the modem. Its possible there was a currupt file of some sort.

*ALSO*
Who is your ISP? Which connection wizard are you using? Is it the one built into Internet Explorer? Or are you using your ISP's software (such as MSN or AOL)? You can open up IE and click Tools, Internet Options, then the Connections tab and click "Add" and set up your dial-up that way. Also on the Connections tab is the LAN Settings... button. Click that and de-select "auto-detect settings". After you add a connection using the "Add" button on the Connectinos tab, you can select "Always dial my default connection".

Try these things and post back.