You can type here any text you want

help in the rear....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

zeusjr73

Currently searching... :(
I'm think it's time to do some MODs. I think I'm going to start off with a new rear end, I'm hoping this will help the lowly 110hp V6 a bunch. Can you guys give me a hand in what I'm looking for.

A friend of mine blew up his rear in his '83 Monte Carlo SS and his dad had a 2:41 posi unit laying around so he bolted that in for the time being so I assume I could change my granny gears to a 3:42 posi unit with a simple swap, am I correct?

Yes you can. Just make sure you also use the 3 series carrier with your 3.42 ring and pinion. It sounds like the carrier grenaded so unless you have a 3.08 in your NA you are looking at spending some money for a carrier. You know down in my part of the country you cant walk through a U-Pull-It with out tripping over a few Monte SSs and these cars depending on the year have a 3.42 or a 3.73 in them. You might be better off finding a complete axle in the salvage yards. And if not the 7.5" ring gear was used in S-10s and a lot of them used 3 series gears. Just make sure you get one that has 26 spline axles(usually 82-88). Thanks Eric Fisher

I'm almost 100% sure I have a 2:41( :confused: ) stock rear, so I guess then I'll need a whole new rear end, correct?

rear

check summit racing thay have gears set for 2 series carriers for the 7.5 so you can use your housing and carrier or get a ring gear spacer

Back