You can type here any text you want

Help me cut my 60' times

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GN FAN

Need some advice on cutting my 60' times down by at least 2-3 tenths from the best of 1.9x. The car has the following suspension/brake items:

s-10 brake pads and wheel cylinders
h&r lowers
h&r motor mounts
air bags on both springs

I also run full 10" slicks and fronts on weld racing wheels.

I have played with the car extensively and can only hold about 3 pounds of boost on the vacuum brakes. I have also adjusted the rear brakes in an attempt to hold more boost but it just doesn't seem to want to hold anymore. I don't want to waste money throwing parts at the car so what are some opinions on where to start or what to upgrade. I have also played with the airbags and they really don't seem to make any difference.

As a comparison, my GN with the powermaster would hold 5-7 lbs of boost and consistently cut 1.7x times with a bone stock suspension.

The cheapest thing, get rid of the air bags. Set the parking brake, release parking brake and foot brake at the same time to launch. Cross fingers the backing plates don't rip off or go S shaped.

I can build around 10psi on foot brake with my ptc 10"... you sure you brake proportioning valve is working right

Vacuum brakes can be a trick. I like to stage shallow and then "pump" my brakes a second time and stand on them right as I trip past the second beam. This second "pump" of the brakes is a strong one and I'll hold 10psi at the line with this method. The second application of the pedal holds much stronger than the first. I have a 5disc Vig, and S10 wheel cylinders but stock shoes. The rear brakes already lock up in the wet, so I'm not improving my rear brakes any more and 10psi launches are enough to get me in the 1.5x 60' range on a skinny 255 tire.

I used to cut 1.7 60 foots on mid to high 11 passes on 235/60/15 mtdr with small turbo stock setup and vac brakes. There are alot of variables to the sixty foot.
Imo boost response and traction is a match. I cant see your sig with the phone app so i dont know your turbo.
But if put traction aside and footbrake convertor to 3 psi as you mention and then launch does the boost come in and rise right off? If not then your turbo could be laggy.
I dont like doing e brake or s10 wheel cyl lauches due to the backing plate bending over time.
Honestly, i have never had a problem with vac brakes they hold the ssme as my pm did.
If you really want 10 or more psi launches then the correct way is a trans brake imo.
Traction ..tire wise...theres a ton of things. First...tires.....you are running a 10 inch wide tire..but what size rim?
Air psi in them?
Slicks are old?
Thats is way off for a 60' for slicks?
Whats your burnout like?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Stage right transbrake. Don't go crazy with the boost out of the gate. 8 to 10psi should be ideal for your setup.

Stage right transbrake. Don't go crazy with the boost out of the gate. 8 to 10psi should be ideal for your setup.

I agree..
It's going to rely on how much boost you can hold and how fast it spools. Maybe put a linelock on the rear brakes so you can hold the rear tires from rolling along with using your front brakes.

Don't worry about any suspension parts.

ks

thank you for the replies:

rims are 15x8 on a 4.5BS
air is 10-12 psi
turbo is ta-52, once off the line car charges pretty furiously
slicks are about 5 seasons old but still have good wear indications
burnout is done until white smoke starts coming off the fenders then off the gas and move forward to make sure they hook when they stop spinning

didn't really think of a transbrake honestly, figured it might be a bit rough on parts lol.

here is the whole timeslip on the best run so far.....

rt - .159
60' - 1.903
330 - 5.039
1/8 - 7.663
mph - 93.21
1000 - 9.949
1/4 - 11.897
mph - 115.69

that was holding my foot down as hard as I could after a second and third pump on the brakes

I wonder about the "unknown" converter. The mph on the 11.89 run seems a mph or so low. Especially with that 52 turbo. Do you have a tach? If so where is the converter stalling? What does it "flash" to?
Seems very lazy off the line with the 1.9. Is it hooking? I would put a shoe polish stripe on your slick at the valve stem. Have some one do some vids of it launching. Tire could be spinning, could be spinning on the rim.

I wonder about the "unknown" converter. The mph on the 11.89 run seems a mph or so low. Especially with that 52 turbo. Do you have a tach? If so where is the converter stalling? What does it "flash" to?
Seems very lazy off the line with the 1.9. Is it hooking? I would put a shoe polish stripe on your slick at the valve stem. Have some one do some vids of it launching. Tire could be spinning, could be spinning on the rim.

I say unknown cuz I don't know the manufacturer, it seems to perform as it should "feel" wise.........yes I have a tach and seems to flash right around 3k which seems right to me........I will try the shoe polish, my slicks do not run tubes either. the laziness I observe seems to coincide with the fact that I can't build too much boost and hold it on the brakes.....once I launch and the converter flashes I usually have to "drive" the rest of first and second gear, car feels like it wants to blow the slicks right off.

Pic in my sig was with stock rear springs,stock sway bar, umi uppers and owers, and 3.42 rear gears...
Stage right t brake 15psi launch 1.54 60

HouTX87 said:
I could be wrong but I thought 115-116 mph was pretty nice mph for 11.8 on our cars?

I guess at the top of the 11.80s is almost 11.90s and 115 and over a half is about right. I was thinking that 11.78 is about 117 mph so I guess that translates. With several tenths off of a sixty foot this car could go 11.3-11.4s.

Is the track prepped well? Is this just a test n tune or street night event or a bracket race. The fast(single digit) cars hooking up?

I couldn't hold boost at all when I tried the vacuum brake booster, I chunked it as far as I could throw it and went Hydroboost. I really like the Hydroboost system. I run air bags with 25 psi in the right bag only. I can consistently cut 1.45 - 1.50 60 fts on drag radials. I have Bilstien rear shocks, stock boxed upper and lower control arms with poly-graphite bushings, and cheap Gabriel gas matic shocks up front, no cool guy parts as Grumpy would say.LOL My converter is a 9X11 and stalls around 2900 RPM at 0 boost, 0 vacuum.;)

rebuild the rear brakes? 3200 stall, TE60, through a TH400 and vacuum brakes gets to 10-12 psi before it creeps on mine with all fresh parts, not even with long shoes or anything. Maybe you have too small of a brake booster? What about a leaking check valve at the booster? Just a few ideas I guess.

1.46-1.48 consistent on DRs, but I have some more suspension parts like a body mounted swaybar and very freely articulating control arms.

Back