You can type here any text you want

Help! No brakes or steering after replacing hoses

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

85Turbo-T

Been on here a while but just never post. I had a power steering hose leak and just decided to replace them all due to age. After getting all the hoses and pump back on the car I now have no brakes and can't even turn the steering wheel. All lines are extremly hot after only running maybe a minute including return lines. I'm sure all lines are routed correctly and no kinks anywhere. Anybody every seen this or know whats going on? I tried searching but didn't come up with anything, but then again I'm only on my phone. Any ideas and suggestions is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Fluid in the reservoir? Is it foamy? Did you jack the front of the car up and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to "bleed the system? Then you may need to ad more fluid to the reservoir. Is the pump 'whining'?

Since your name has 85 in I'm guessing that it's a HA with hydroboost? Did you bleed the lines after filling everything up again? If not lift the front end off the ground and with the key in the on position, engine off, turn the steering wheel back and forth while checking the fluid level. My guess is that it will start getting sucked through the system until it goes down enough to start the engine and do the same with the brakes.;)

Filled the reservoir twice, steering wheel would NOT turn at ALL with me trying hard as I could. Only after shutting it off and disconnecting one of the lines did the wheel turn like my other car with no power steering. Brake pedal is hard as a rock as well. Should mention this is a hydroboost setup. Lines can't be hooked up backwards cause the fittings only fit in one area, but it's almost like I have two pressure lines feeding into each other.

Lift the car off the ground and turn the wheel with the engine off! That's how you bleed a power steering/hydroboost system.I'd bet the system has cavitated and can't get enough fluid to flow properly and you may have burned up the pump.

Thanks, I will have to go back and give that a try. Done tons of power steering jobs before but this is the first time with a hydroboost setup. Do you think it burned the pump up if it was only running for a minute or two?

Hope not but it's possible. Once you get the fluid through the steering unit then worry about the hydroboost. I hate bleeding hydroboost units because they can be a PITA, but once bled they work really well.

Is there something in the pump like a check valve/ball that I could have messed up laying the pump in it's side, almost upside down for a couple minutes while I was taking other hoses off? Right after getting it together I filled the reservoir and then started the car and it sucked it dry, refilled and let it pull more fluid out like every other power steering I have ever worked on. Thought it was bled enough to at least turn the wheel. After the car was shut off, the wheel still wouldn't turn. Disconnected one line on the steering box and wheel turned easy and a solid stream of fluid shot out, no air.

OWWW!!! I learned a long time ago never to start a system dry. Always lift the front off the ground and turn the wheels to get fluid through the system. You'll still have some air in it but the fluid is lubrication as well as coolant. I actually burned up a pump years ago bucause I didn't do this.:( It came out of my pocket as well since it wasn't my car.:oops:

Ouch, never hurt anything before on numorous cars and trucks that have over 100k on them after the work was done this same way, but like I said this was the first hydroboost setup I have done. Don't think I hurt the pump and at least it's turning now. Going to mess with it more after work tomorrow and make sure the brakes are working fine.

Thanks for the tips Charlie, I really appreciate the help!

You couldn't turn the wheel at all? Are you sure you didn't get the lines crosses up?

Nope, at first the wheel didn't turn at all. No way to mix up the lines, thought of that and checked. All fittings are different sizes so they only fit in there specific spot. Went and ate dinner and thats when I started posting last night and when I went back to try what charlie had suggested the wheel turned but was still hard. Jacked it up and it turned the wheels just fine but didn't take any more fluid from the reservoir. When I get home tonight I'm going to try and bleed it some more. I think it will be fine now, just never had that happen on other systems before.

Well after waiting for a new pump and messing with things a while I got the steering working. Unfortunatly still no assist whatsoever on the brakes. I found some hydroboost bleeding instructions and followed those to the letter. As far as I can tell there is no more air in the system and fluid all through the hydroboost unit but no assist. What else can I do or start am I doing wrong? This is driving me crazy.

Hydroboost is a pain to bleed, believe me. You can get a rebuil kit for them online if you feel like trying it yourself. One of the seals may have flipped and not doing it's job.

Any tips or tricks to try before I decide to try a rebuild or just replace it? The instructions I had just said pump the pedal 3 times and turn the wheel, pump 3 times and turn the other way and repeat, lol

It's messy but it may do the trick. With the engine running loosen the pressure line to the booster and make sure fluid is coming out freely. Don't take it loose though. Now have someone push on the pedal and see what happens. Fluid should still be coming out but slower. Keep the fluid up in the res so it doesn't run dry. Tighten up everything again and do the same on the return line. If the output on both sides is the same and you get no response then the booster is bad.

Back