Help: Possible problems with trans in long storage?

YGETV8

I think, therefore I am??
Hi All,

You may have read that I FINALLY got my T-Type started (which it is still "acting up", but that's a different story) and am wondering if I have a problem with the trans. It seems to be slipping in first gear, but i'm not sure. 2/3 feels firm, and the manual lockup feels good (broke in the PI 7 disc). I haven't put but 8 gentle miles on it, but heres why I posted this: the tranny was rebuilt to "full race" specs in '98 by Jimmy's Transmissions in Chicago, a respected TR trans builder. This tranny had fluid in it, but never got ran till this past weekend, which means it sat for over 3 years, and I know this can be bad. But what types of problems occur in these situations? It has no leaks externally, but would the valve body gasket have "gone bad" and have a leak or something?

Any advice, words of wisdom, or opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Was the fluid circulated or just poured in.? Most builders soak their clutches as I do to set proper clearence. However , sitting with no fluid can attract moisture, in turn ,ruining clutches .
I do feel that you should be ok tho .
(Watch , this will be the one I am wrong on, LOLOL:) )
Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

Thanks, Bruce. I'm not sure what his technique is for building them, but he is well known around the MidWest for his TR work, so I'd think he does it the "right" way! Otherwise, I just poured the fluid in when I put it in place two years ago.

The car DOES appear to be slipping in first and on the 1/2 shift, or maybe I'm just not used to having a higher stall converter anymore (although it is the tightest PI sells). I'll put a few more gentle miles on it to see if I can determine what is going on! Thanks again! Jay

In a situation like this it's a good idea to jack up the vehicle and run it through it's paces with the wheels in the air. This will allow the fluid to circulate through all the circuits, lubricate everything and allow you to assess whether or not you have the proper operating pressures and all functions before putting a load on it.

Well, I drove the car another 20 miles tonight and it is definitely slipping. The 1/2 shift is very soft, but the 2/3 is firm. Goosed it some and it felt like it had a 6000 rpm stall converter... great. $1000 down the drain.

If you were gentle in breaking it in, then it was wrong from the get go in my mind.

While a stored car, can riun a previously worn tanny, the fresh rebuild should have stayed fresh.

TCI and other inventory rebuilt trannies, and if storing a fresh rebuild was bad news, then that would mena all theres' might be junk.

Inless you know the core was good, you might have gotten one with a cracked case, or some other terminal injury.

I had a tranny (spare, known good) rebuilt and told the rebuilder it might be on the shelf for years before I used it and he said no problem, and it's been on the floor for 5 years now, and I expect it to work when I install it.