!!!Help, Prom on Sat!!!!

Originally posted by Zero Tolerance
Don't sweat it. How are your grades? Any chances of going to the prom next year too? :D
Good luck!

Damn, that is some harsh poop.

Any chance we could get some pics of your date though?

Glad to help Ryan! How's it running? When you left I could hear the turbo spool up quick - guess that new converter works good.
The new "experimental" converter is working great...if the trip to Bowling Green goes problem free, He's going to sell it.

For the ECM
Get ahold of Red Regal T here:

rudykz@cs.com

Here's his thread:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17169

Or get ahold of Bweavy, Mike McCoy or Coptzr231

All of them should be able to set you up.

im not going to prom this year, too damn expensive, at my school its 95 bucks for students, and 100 for guests :mad:

then add tux rental +125
then other things that would happen though out the night +100

humm so there fore i think i should save that money for my car...

the woman dosent mind, she dosent even want to go... i never tested out the back seat of the GN, looks nice though :cool:

-Neil

WOW I must have had ECM problems for some time. That new one has REALLY made it faster. Maby its just psychological, but I accidently fishtailed out of my driveway this morning when I went to school. Hope my parrents dont notice the tire marks :D

The new TC is working GREAT. the turbo spools up in a couple of seconds and reaches full boost (18#'s) at arround 45mph or so... I think. Maby I should have waited a little longer to see how the "experamental" TC worked. Im sure its going to be out of my price range, so its kind of a mute point.

Scott, Ill order the ECM tonight.

Thanks again all!

BOOSTD

P.S. I think I would be shooting myself in the foot if i posted my dates picture on the web. I tell you what though... 36"-24"-36"...you know what I mean? ;)

Originally posted by BOOSTD
P.S. I think I would be shooting myself in the foot if i posted my dates picture on the web. I tell you what though... 36"-24"-36"...you know what I mean? ;)

Is she 5'3"? ERIC.

Hey, i just noticed that boostd is a senior in high school from sherman illinois and drives a GN and i'm a senior in high school from sherman ct, and drives a GN! sorry for the weak observation, i lead a sheltered life :( And to make it worse, no girls think my buick is cool! :( Ah well, i guess you can't win em all.

Lee the only girls that think GN's are cool in CT live in the big cities and perhaps 'Staven. ;)

Now I gotta go look up Sherman, CT on the map. lol :D

My guess is it's near Redding. :cool:

WTF!!!:eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

Does my car enjoy burning up computers?

OK get this. Just now, I went outside to take my car to get washed. When I started it up, it had a very choppy iddle @ arround 2000 rpm. It nearly stalled. And for a second it sounded as though several cylinders were missing!!! So I looked at my TPS reading and it was at 1.00!!! Remember, Zam70 and I had my car running and perfectly tuned with a new ECM (TPS @ .42 and IAC @ 12). I HAVE DONE NOTHING SINCE I DROVE IT YESTERDAY.

I tried to re addjust the TPS and was only able to get it down to .65 or so. I disconnected the computer, checked the connections (all good), and reconnected it. then I took the TPS off and turned the power on without starting the engine. The readings started at about .50 and slowly creped down to .38. So I reconnected everything and tried to tune the car. The idle isnt @ 2000rpm anymore but i cant seem to get the TPS below .56 and the IAC wont go below 50. At these settings, my car idles at 1000rpm. Then it seems like the computer wants to lower the idle down to normal (750rpm) but the car shutters and nearly stalls before the computer raises the idle again.

Is there a short in my car that is frying up my sensors and ECM?
Did my car get hit by lightning last night during the T-storms?
Did the heavy rain do something to my car?
Is someone pulling a prank on me?
Is it devine intervention?

SO MUCH FOR DRIVING MY GN TO PROM TONIGHT. MABY MY MOM WILL LET ME DRIVE HER CAMARO SS.

Please help!!!

BOOSTD

OK. Update...

After I cooled down for a while, I tried to fix my car again. This time when I started my car up, the TPS read .28 and the IAC was at 50. Good. So I readjusted the TPS and IAC. Now my TPS is at .44 and my IAC is arround 14. So I took my car for a test drive. Instantly I knew my car wasnt running right. when accelerating my car stutteres. The rpms will go up to, say, 2500 and the car will seem like it stalls and the rpms will fall a fiew hundred. It does this throuout the rpm range and all the gears. THE CAR HAS ABSOLUTLY NO HP. Also my O2's are at a constant 925mv!!! Maby this is causing the stalling. Why is it so high? It only goes down to 900 when I decelerate.

BOOSTD

Man, talk about the worst luck.

I'm remembering back to my days of prom. The idea is for the car to break down while you're on your date at some secluded look-out. Zam70 must not have gave the right "prom date chip".

OK, all joking aside. I know you're trying to get this straight by tonight.

I can't rememer if you said something last night or not. But I'm wondering if you had mentioned a problem with moisture. Has there been any moisture around the computer especially?? With the strange numbers and stuff, I'm wondering if the computer did go south again. If it did, that would tell me something is making it go south. I really hope you get this straight.

What about your grounds??

I don't know where this struck me, but what about the grounds for your ECM? The grounds are located on the back of the passenger side head and I think the tranny bolt. Make sure that you have good connections back there. Make sure none of those have wiggled loose, become corroded or what have you. That would definately make your computer throw all sorts of strange numbers at you and make you seem like all your sensors are going stupid. Especially the O2. It's not easy to reach back behind that head, so be careful. Plus those wires tend to be old and fragile, plus it's annoying to work back there. But it's something to think about/ look at. Also, you can make sure that you have a good connection from the front of the head to the battery's negative terminal.

I guess it just was never ment to be. I ended up taking my moms camaro SS. Not a bad substitute but not MY car eather. Well, I had a good time anyway...

My first computer, was wraped in a plastic bag and taped shut when I bought it. Zam70 said that the lack of air circulation probably caused it to fail. As for moisture, I think we saw a little "green stains" in the bottom of the two plugs that go into the ECM. However, I don't think it was anything signifigant. When we put the new ECM into the car we didn't cover it. Since the computer has been on the fritz, I havent noticed any moisture arround it.

about how far down from the valve cover is the wire? I cant seem to find it. Its connected to the fire wall right? The other wire is connected to the tranny bolt? Wheres that? Also I havent noticed a wire that connects the cylinder head to the negative terminal on my battery. Ill have to look again.

Thanks again,

BOOSTD

Any moisture from the heater core? This is a long shot but there was also a change in the temp sensor plug. The original plug sealed too tight and if the sensor got a leak, coolant could actually get in the insulation of the wire and make it's way into the computer.

Ground location...

The grounds you were talking about to the firewall is just the ground strap... a braided cable. That's not what I'm referring to. On the passenger side, in the back of the head, there is several wires with eyelets bolted to the back of the head. Back near the tranny dipstick, you can probably look at the wiring harness and see the grounds jump out of the loom and head down there.

May have to take a light back there. Sorry couldn't get ya fixed up in time. As somebody else wrote.. maybe you'll have next year too!

BTW, we're still waiting for the pics!!!

Re: Ground location...

Originally posted by gn85
The grounds you were talking about to the firewall is just the ground strap... a braided cable. That's not what I'm referring to. On the passenger side, in the back of the head, there is several wires with eyelets bolted to the back of the head. Back near the tranny dipstick, you can probably look at the wiring harness and see the grounds jump out of the loom and head down there.

May have to take a light back there. Sorry couldn't get ya fixed up in time. As somebody else wrote.. maybe you'll have next year too!

BTW, we're still waiting for the pics!!!

Whoo hoo. I took a picture of the very same ground strap when I was taking out my engine. Here is a link to the Ground Location that will make it easier to find. It is the wires coming out of the loom in about the middle of the pic.

Enjoy, ERIC.:D

My car wouldn't start one day, it turned out to be a corroded pin that supplies power to the ECM. I got a new one and used some goo that cable/Sat TV guys use to prevent moisture from entering the connection.

Just a thought. Post a pic of your date!

Mark F.

87 GN 11.9 @ 115

Ill check those grounds later today. Im at school right now.
As soon as the prom pictures come in Ill post them.
Any suggestions on how to do that?

BOOSTD

Ill probably post them in the turbo lounge since they dont really have anything to do with GN tech.
Ill also post some pics of my car just for the hell of it. Like you haven't already seen enough of them. :)

Keep waiting,

BOOSTD

Well, I must be SOL!!!

I found the problem. there was a small puddle of coolent in the plug when I took it out of the ECM . I cleaned out the water and the resedue that was on the prongs. When i started my car, the TPS readings were way down (.16). After tuning I took it out on the road. It seems to be back to normal. Do you think the ECM is ok or do i need to get a new one? How did the coolent get there? How do I fix it?

Anyway, back to being SOL. So I took it out on the road and when I mashed it I had a pretty bad trannie flare on the 1-2 shift and all of the other gears were soft. Looks like a trannie rebuild. Im never going to play the lottery, theres no way in He!! that I would ever win. Im going to post a new thread in the transmission section on this subject if you want to comment.

BOOSTD