!!!Help, Prom on Sat!!!!

Originally posted by BOOSTD
Ill check those grounds later today. Im at school right now.
As soon as the prom pictures come in Ill post them.
Any suggestions on how to do that?

BOOSTD

if you need some one to host those pics i can do it

-Neil

If you're getting coolant there, the ONLY culprit is the heater core (not expensive or hard to change)

Open the ecm up and make sure it's all dry, spray some electronics cleaner/lube down in the plug area and plug. It should all be OK.

Your TPS was low because of the adjustments you made prior to finding the problem

Sucks on the tranny - DAMN these old cars! (now you see why I redo mine from top to bottom...expensive but no surprises)

Call MArk - see what kind of deal he'll shoot you on my old one.

Neil, Ill take you up on that offer once I get the pictures developed.

Scott, this car is driving me crazy!! The water pump is going south. Im pretty sure that the trannie is shot (or at least on its way). The T-tops leak. The paintjob looks like an orange peal with spots. I cringe every time I hit a bump. Shoot, the only things that I know are fine on this car are the wheels, the turbo, the TC, the fuel pump, and the oil filter:)

THESE CARS ARE NOT CHEEP!

OK, enough whining. Ill call Mark tomarrow and see what he can do for me.

Man, I love my car:rolleyes:

BOOSTD

Doh!

Yah.. you sound like Jimmie Johnson or Ryan Newman.. if it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all.

Yep.. sorry I chimed in late, but it sounds like a heater core is working on going up. Has your passenger side carpet been wet?? Look under your floor mats. It's a real pain when it does GO UP. All your windows get fogged to heck.. As said, it's a simple R&R. But that's probably what got it.

When you were checking for grounds, did you happen to tug on the TV cable, which runs near there?? If so, you may want to check your adjustment before you go trashing your tranny. Sounds a little strange that your tranny was fine one day and flashing gears the next. Unless you went out and ran tens after prom. :D

You're right, these cars ain't cheap. They're old and always have something funny going on with them. BUT MAN THEY'RE FUN WHEN THEY RUN!

As said before, make sure your ECM is good and dry. Reset your TPS, and see how things go. Glad to hear you found the prob.

Update please!

So, did you find the source of the anti-freeze/water/moisture??? Have you fixed the problem and is the car running right??

MOST IMPORTANT, have you got the pictures developed yet?? :p

Haven't looked yet. School and work have taken up all of my time lately. I am going to check today after school (Its my last day:D ).

The trannie is still questionable. I reset the TV cable and that helped ALOT. The 1-2 shift is very firm as well as the others. My engine still flares sometimes though. Im not sure if it is slipping or I am loosing traction (my tires dont squeel).

I will develope my pictures this weekend. The professional pictures arn't in yet so youll have to wait.

BOOSTD

Found the problem but not the leak. I took my car to get washed and when I got back i found several drops of soapy water on my ECM. I took off all of the trimming and found sever big rust spots. from the looks of it, the water has been running down from the T-tops ( I think), into the molding, and down onto the top of the ECM. Im not sure if the T-tops are leaking because there is very little rust arround them. Any other common spots of leakage? Windshield seal?

Keep waiting on the pics!!!;)

BOOSTD

my car had a leak in the heater core, and was dripping on to the passenger side floor, could perhaps be the same thing. mine was cracked towards the center, perhaps you have a crack closer to the computer?

just a thought..

-Neil

A couple of ideas...

So, I'm assuming it's running back to normal. I've never had experience with t-tops leaking (knock on wood). My car is a hardtop car, and my father's Monte Carlo SS has t-tops, but that car's solid.

Anyways, there is a possibility that the leak is coming from a faulty seal between the AC/HEAT box under the hood. There's a place where that mates with the firewall and has silicone sealing the two together. I found that I had a water leak that was seeping between the two. It didn't get my ECM, but it was making my P/S floor wet.

You may still have a heater core leak if you are finding anti-freeze in that area. Like I said, I would find it before it finds you. When one of those suckers let go it'll fogged up windows like you've never seen.

I'm not sure if your t-tops are suppose to have a drain down that pillar or not. I remember with my old Pontiac it had drains for the sunroof that went down the windshield and the sail pillars. Might want to check into that. I think they have an exploded view of the t-tops on gnttype.org.

Hope that helps. STILL NOT PICS??? Have you ever heard of a digital camera. :)

Ill look into the heater core. the reason why I think it is the T-tops is becuse I found soapy water on top of the ECM. I may even be a little of both. Whats the easiest way to get to the heater core? I looked at my Chilten and It looked like I had to take apart the whole system to get to it.

Im too poor to own a digital camera. they should be in today or tomarrow (were also too cheap to get 1 hour photo). Id rather wait a couple of days and put the extera money into my car:D .

Keep waiting.;)

BOOSTD

Get to the heater core..

Where I was talking about before under the hood, next to the firewall and the ac/heat box... that is two pieces. It's held on by a BUNCH of 7mm (can't remember for sure) bolts. Anyways. Taking those bolts off and taking the top half off of the heater box will expose the heater core.

You said you found soapy water on the ECM.. like I said before, check that seal between the heater core box and the firewall. The silicone there gets brittle and seperates from the firewall. I ran a bead of silicone down there and the prob was solved.

I have a digital camera.. just no car to take pics of. (cars in America, I'm here.) :(

Can anybody tell me if there are drains for the t-tops that run down the windshield pillar?? I'm not entirely familiar with that.

BTW, does the car run back to normal?? As long as the ECM is dry.

If all else fails, I'd be happy to fill in for you and take your date to the prom in my Grand National, j/k! :D :D :D

Ill have to take a look at that today.

My ECM seems to be working perfectly. If I am going to wash the car or it is going to rain, I just pull the ECM off of the kick pannel and set it in the middle of the p/s floor mat. It seems to work.

Ill try to pic up the pics today. They might be on in a fiew days. I know... Im slow.

BOOSTD

P.S. Sorry TurboTer, Prom was two weaks ago. The thread is a little out of date. I ended up taking her in my Moms camaro SS :D :( :D :( I should have failed all of my finals so I could take her in my GN next year. Well, Im sure there are plenty of college girls that would love to take a ride in my GN.:D ;)

DON'Tcha mean MY ECM? :D

I'm going to be working in my garage all weekend on a Jeep. If the weather is good you're welcome to come over and use my tools and driveway to get that puppy fixored up.
Just show up...I'll be around

Scott