!!!Help, Prom on Sat!!!!

BOOSTD

HELP. My senior prom is on Saturday and my car is down!!!!

O.K. So heres the situation. I last drove my car on Friday and it seemed to be running fine. Today I went out to the car and started it up. When it fired up, it sounded wierd with a high idle and the exhaust smelled different. Definatly something wrong!! so I looked at my scanmaster and it read a 51 error. I shut it off, checked all of the connections and tried to start it again. This time, it started the same way but I had no reading from the ECM. I checked all of the connections to the scanmaster and everything seemed fine. Next i hooked up my voltometor to the "information wire" of the scanmaster. It regestered a voltage but i still cant get a signal from the scanmaster. Ive checked all the fueses and there all fine. I havent driven my car arround but it does run at a high iddle and the mixture seems off. Is my ECM dead or what? I realy need to find out what is wrong with my car before saturday so that I can drive it to prom (I know, it probably seems kiddish, but this is my senior prom and I want to drive my baby to it :) )

Is there anyone in the springfield area with a scan tool that i could borrow? Could anyone take a look at my car?

Your help is greatly appreciated
BOOSTD

Have you tried pulling the chip out and re-installing to make sure it is seated properly?

Geoff

Code 51 is just a bad chip connection or maybe the ECM, but I doubt it. Just unplug the orange ECM wire at the battery, and pull the chip out of the ECM, check the pins for straightness, and reseat the chip, and rehook the orange wire, and start. Try a different chip if that does not work.

The high idle and running rich is the computer putting your ECM in "limp-home" mode since the chip is not controlling the sensor functions (a back-up provision for this problem). If for some reason all of that does not work, you can swap the ECM. You can get one on the board for about $40.

Don't sweat it. How are your grades? Any chances of going to the prom next year too? :D
Good luck!

Ryan - come by tinight.
I've got a Scan tool AND a spare ECM AND a spare chip

Give me a call

744 0500
529 9192

hey thanks for the help. I tried reseating both of the chips in the computer. all of the connections are perfect because the computer was remanufactured and then sealed in a bag.

Lets look at the options here:

Limo :rolleyes:

Grand National :cool:

Scott, your a life saver!!!! Do you think that it is safe to drive it?

Ill call you

BOOSTD

there shouldn't be a problem driving it...just don't put your foot into it.

Would I take my GN to a prom where you know there will be a lot of drinking and maybe a few people that might be jealous of your car. It will just be sitting in the parking lot the majority of the night anyway. Go in on a limo with some friends. Don't forget to have a motel room rented for after the prom.:D Speaking from experience,:)

Forget the Motel!!! Just use the back seat of the Buick and save that $$ for the room for more performance parts.;) ;)

Hey chumanga, is the grass green? Do fish swim? Are GN's Black? Yup, I'v got a date;)

Your advice has been noted BuickGn Boosted, but Ill take my chances. maby youll find me in the Stolen Buick Information board on Sunday. I guess there right about teenagers taking too many risks.

Yeh, forget the motel. I've had many people tell me that the back seat is quite comfertable and roomy :D ;)

Later,
BOOSTD

That's the ticket..

Back seat all the way. BTW, what is the proper setting for the rear airbags for that scenerio?? Some board, everybody can tell me what air pressure for a good launch, but not for prom night!

:D ;)

BTW the back seat has plenty of room I`m 6`5 the girl 6`0 just alittle manuvering and you got it..:D save the money for performance parts....;)

i can speek from experience, me (6'1") and my girl (5'10") we were very comfortable in the back seat of my t-type...so unless your girl is really huge, or your really huge, i dont think you'll have a problem :) have fun at your prom, and if you drink, please dont drive the gn home, steal a import and smash that up. DONT SCREW UP THE GN!

HATS OFF TO ZAM70!!!
Yep, bad ECM. He even let me borrow his so i can drive the "grannie national" to prom.

Well heres the rundown:

Im 5'11" @ 210; Shes <or>5'5" @ 120; i've don't have air bags; i've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigaretts, its dark, and were wearing sunglasses :cool:

OH! and get this, she thinks my car is "REALLY COOL." Man, while these cars are quite tempermental ( i.e. BAD REMANUFACTURED ECM :mad: ), they never seem to run out of advantages :D

Drinking is not a problem. Never had more than one can of beer. I guess im too afraid of getting behind the wheel and doing something stupid. For those of you that do like to drink and drive, just remember to aim for the car with the stainless steal wing and fart can, NOT the black car with the big back seat:)

Also, could someone tell me how to get an ECM from
Red Regal T? I need to get one back to Zam70.

Thanks All, and I wil try to make the best out of prom.

BOOSTD

WOW, Bielefeld, GERMANY? You been on the autoban? Is your car just about the fastest over there or do all the domestics (since yours is the import) blow you away? I.E. Ferrari, lamborguini, porsche, lotus, etc.

BOOSTD

Sorry, no GN in Germany...

I wish I could have the car over here, but I don't think it'd do the best here. Of course I drive on the autobahn. They're just like the interstates over there, not that far away. Fastest I've gone is driving to Berlin. I was doing 125 mph the whole way there and back... that was in a turbo diesel Golf. Not a bad car actually.

The Buick is great for stop light drag racing, but needs some 'refinement' for autobahn speeds, although I'm sure it could hack 100-120 no problem. Most of what you see on the autobahn (in the left lane) are Mercedes, BMWs, Audi's, the occasional sport bike and occasional Porsche. It's sick to be doing 100 mph and have a car come up and pass you so fast that you didn't see it until it was next to you. I've had that happen a few times now.

Hats off to Zam70 for giving you a lending hand in a definite 'time of need'. Have a safe prom. The girl likes the car, huh?? If she thinks it's good at putting you back in your seat, she should see how well it put's in the back seat does. :eek: