You can type here any text you want

Help w/ Stage purchase. What to look for?

• Thread starter Thread starter ATEUUP
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
A

ATEUUP

I would like to find a stage block for my GN. I want to spend less than 15k to get the entire package done. I plan to look for a old BN motor. I don't know much about stage setups. I realize there are on center/ off center, even and odd fire. I want one where I can bolt up stock type intake and accesories.

What should I be looking for? What is the best way to deturmine what it is for sure that I'm looking at (If a block is a on or off center, even or odd fire for instance). I don't want to waste my time and money.

What price should I pay? How about cranks and rods from the BGN series.

I talked to several well known turbo buick shops and they would be more than happy to do the entire package, but for 20k+. That was just for the engine... I think I can get this done much cheaper with some help.

Thanks,
Greg

there was a COMPLETE package on ebay for $15k...i think the exhaust system even came with it.

If you want to use the factory style intake and exhaust you probably don't want to buy a BGN engine. You won't be able to use the intake, heads, valvetrain, cam, or pistons. Of course you could sell these parts (to me)and buy what you need.

Building a Factory style S2 engine is a little easier on the wallet because you don't have to fabricate many of the parts that are needed for a Stage 2 headed engine. You could use the factory intake, and exhaust manifolds if you want. Red Armstrong even uses the factory iron heads.

M&A, and GN1s will bolt on to any stage block, but only the offcenter block is a no hassle bolt-on. The production style head on a on-center block presents intake manifold misalignment problems. Bowling green Customs (when they were in business)made a manifold for this combination and I think Tony Dequick does too.

What you need to find is a 3.8 or 4.1 offcenter block either stage2 or stage1. The Stage 1 blocks were made from the same casting number but finished machined differently from Stage 2 blocks. The differences between the S1 and S2 block are very well explained in the Buick MotorSports power manual. Get one if you don't have one already. It is about the only thing in print that tells you anything about Stage engines.

Either way these blocks are getting hard to find, not impossible just hard. I know where you can buy a new S2 4.1 Offcenter block.....just bring lots of money. If and when TA Performance gets the V6 block project done, that might be a cheaper alternative.

Dave

A word of advice... Shop carefully. Theres more crap out there then good stuff.

Originally posted by Reginald West
Buy a car already done. You will be money ahead.

Big time. There are quite a few cars in the for sale section. Steve Keen had one for sale a while back. I'd look into his car. If you are willing to spend 15k for a complete engine, for 6k more you'll get a car with it :)

Back