You can type here any text you want

HELP....what's causing my front cover leak?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
I seem to be chasing my tail with this issue. My SG1 block build is causing some headache because the front cover seal near the oil pump location keeps leaking. However, it will only leak after boost has been introduced. I can replace the gasket, let the car idle for 30 minutes, or even drive it around very gingerly and it won't leak, but at the first hint of boost, it starts leaking.

The PCV valve is a new GM one and I've tried others that don't seem to have an effect. I went with larger open element breathers and that seems to considerably reduce the leak. Last night I did a compression test to make sure it wasn't a bad ring or something that didn't seat properly. My readings came back 131, 134, 140, 136, 138, 143, which all seem to be within the normal range.

I've had the aftermarket HV front cover at the machine shop and they indicate that it is flat and not warped. What are the odds that my block is jacked up? Any other suggestions?

Any chance the valve cover or intake gaskets leaking and oil running down to the front cover and making it look like the front cover gasket leaking?

When you installed the front cover gasket did you put it on dry or did you use any sealer on it?

I kind of go to the extreme when i install engine gaskets, i put permatex form a gasket #2 on both sides of the gaskets and also around the oil ports on the front cover gasket and let it dry for at least 24 hours before starting the engine. It may sound like i'm over doing it but i don't have any oil leaks and it's been this way for some years now since i installed this engine after a rebuild.

Spray the front of the engine, front cover, etc down with brake cleaner to get all the old oil off to pin point the leak.

The front of the intake manifold can leak and run down the cover to that side and look like its coming from the oil pump as well. Also the turbo oil drian.

Thanks guys, but I am 100% sure it's coming from the oil pump/front cover area. I'm just baffled as to why. Is it possible that the rings aren't sized properly or I'm getting blow-by? The car doesnt smoke or puff at all.

You sure its boost and not the fact that the engine is at higher rpm to make that boost. Higher rpm the higher the oil psi.

I chased a leak for weeks ended up being a crack from porting the passages it only leaked under pressure.
Bought a known good one that was ported and no more leaks I still can't visible see the crack, I could get it magna fluxed but for the price of a cover it wasn't worth it.

Aftermkt covers can hang up on the dowel pins, and when it's tightened up, it will crack at the dowel...
Try a dye check test....Or, if you want to spend the time, pressurize the crankcase.

If it only leaks under boost put a check valve in the PCV line. Only costs a few bucks, may fix your leak.

Clean the engine, thow some dye in the oil and shine a black light at it. You'll find the leak location.

I have seen the seal damaged and put backwards on a build. Leaks showed up after some boost.

Jerryl said:
I have seen the seal damaged and put backwards on a build. Leaks showed up after some boost.

I've seen that with the rear seal

Back