Help with Buick 231 engine...

Spooled

I've got my first buick 231 V6. Have some Q's. The block casting numbers I've found and looked up and supposedly it's a 77-78 block. The head numbers didn't match the numbers I found on the net. I'm wanting an edelbrock intake but it says it'll only fit 79 and up motors. Anyone know what they changed? I remember the casting numbers we B1254......I'll check the rest and get back to you guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to squeeze a little more power from it. THanks!

It'll bolt on, but the ports on the manifold are taller than the ports on the heads up through '78. Get some '79 - '87 rwd heads which will fit your block, and the manifold will also work. GB

How far off is it? Can the heads I have be ported to match? Do you know what casting numbers the 77-78 heads have or the newer ones? I know the guy had my heads redone...not sure if he might have got a newer set. I'm going to get the casting numbers tonight...but i'm pretty sure it starts with B1254

Thats a crappy link. No side by side comparison. The ports are way off. There are tons of high port 79 and newer heads waiting in the salvage yards. The better casting is the 8445 and the 6293 is a good second choice. No sense in wasting time and money on unproven methods and experimentation. Tons of info on these heads if you want to take the time and do some research. A couple of good books to have for a reference is the Buick Power Source Manual and
The Buick Free Spirit Power Manual from the early 80's. Both are out of print. You can sometimes find them on eBay.

Here is qoute from TBFSPM on your cylinder head question.
"exhaust and intake manifold bolt holes are moved closer to the rocker cover flange on 79 cylinder heads than they are on heads of previous years. This upward relocation of ports and bolt holes is readily apparent-even on fully assembled engines.

V 6 Performance by Pat Ganahl
This covers that subject very well. Get it on Amazon.com $20.00! :biggrin:

Thats a crappy link. No side by side comparison. The ports are way off. There are tons of high port 79 and newer heads waiting in the salvage yards. The better casting is the 8445 and the 6293 is a good second choice. No sense in wasting time and money on unproven methods and experimentation. Tons of info on these heads if you want to take the time and do some research. A couple of good books to have for a reference is the Buick Power Source Manual and
The Buick Free Spirit Power Manual from the early 80's. Both are out of print. You can sometimes find them on eBay.

Here is qoute from TBFSPM on your cylinder head question.
"exhaust and intake manifold bolt holes are moved closer to the rocker cover flange on 79 cylinder heads than they are on heads of previous years. This upward relocation of ports and bolt holes is readily apparent-even on fully assembled engines.