You can type here any text you want

Help with front suspension rebuild

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
My passenger side control arm bushing is shot, among other things. So I was planning on doing the front suspension. I don't have an unlimited budget though so tell me what you guys think.
-SC&C or DSE upper control arms
-planned on leaving the lowers alone (unless bad bushings)
-tie rods (outer and inner)
-adjustable tie rod sleeves

My questions is should I get a new center link or idler arm to do it right? If I am getting the upper arms and tie rods done would it be easier to just replace the center link/idler arm now? What about bumpstops/jounce bumper?

Are you planning to lower the car? If so, how much? If your not going to lower it or only plan to lower it a small amount, I'd get Speedway tubular uppers for $43 a piece.

If your stock parts arent worn out, theres no sense in replacing it all. Just check everything. Usually the tie rods, bushings, and ball joints are what will wear out first.

If your stock parts arent worn out, theres no sense in replacing it all. Just check everything. Usually the tie rods, bushings, and ball joints are what will wear out first.

That is why I wanted to just replace those parts. 25 year old suspension parts on a car that is actually driven fast is not a good combo. Even if they aren't 'bad' they are still 25 years old.
Right now my front fender is a tad over 26" from the ground with the 25 year old worn out suspension and the stock size tires 215/65 15's. I like that height. New springs/suspension parts would most definitely raise the car so I guess I would need to lower it a little to keep it where it is.
I believe that most times you get what you pay for but how does a $50 a arm compare to a $300 one? Those DSE/SC&C ones look really bad a$$.

You don't need the adjustable ones for your car. I think you still have my email so send me one. I'd be more than happy to point you towards some non stock parts that will hold up better and won't cost you an arm and a leg.:)

The Speedway and GBody arms are great quality for the price. What you have to remember is the higher end adjustable arms are needed when your actually going to use the qualities the arms give you, like the adjustabilty or camber/caster adjustabilities some offer. For your plans, you might as well spend the money in other areas that would make more of an effect or use for your application.

For new springs, go with the 5658's. They wont raise the car as much as a stock replacement would and also provide an excellent spring rate. We've used them many many many times cand couldnt be happier with them.

For the rear, I like to use the Duralast rear non variable rate springs. P/N #5379S These springs also wont jack the rear of the car up and will allow the car to give an excellent ride quality as well as good rate transfer to the rear. This is my favorite spring combo but there are many options out there to choose from.

Just replace what is bad. If it was me I'd do inner and outer tie rods, new adjuster sleeves on the steering at minimum if nothing else is bad. Take care of what bushings and balljoints are bad and call it good. If you want to do springs, this is the time to do it.

I have the DSE kit from GNS performance and was very impressed with the ease of installation and the quality of the parts.
I finished the front suspension upgrades with little drama and started to work on the back before it turned into a motor swap (longer story for a different day).
I would recommend the kit without reservation. Scot W is very helpful and obviously has the kit on his car as well.

Back