You can type here any text you want

help?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wizard71

i recently purchased a 1983 riviera t type with a rebuilt 3.8 turbo carburated in which the builder has told me he put " flat top" pistons in. My question is being a turbo engine raising the compression to roughly in the neighbourhood of 9.75 to 1 is this going to be ok....i have heard horror stories of too much compression then boosting it so before i fire the engine i would like to know more??? Can someone help me out?

thanks

First,...

Let me welcome you to the board! Welcome Pilgrim!:cool: Glad to have you on board.

Now on the question, did he state the reason for the piston change? Just for performance reasons? Engine damage? I don't remember much about the computer operation of the 83's. I would think, if you are using the stock computer, there may be some issues arising out of that alone. By the way, do you have a scan tool? Very important to be able to monitor the events taking place. Wow,are you sure that is only 9.75 cr? I was thinking the flat tops raised the cr to at least 12:1. (Maybe one of the engine builders will chime in.) Any way, octane, boost, timing, knock:eek: .....seems to point to self -destruction! :eek: Can you provide more info?

Welcome to the fold ;) With the information you supplied so far, flat tops is a receipe for disaster. That will send the compression ratio through the roof :eek: . That's a good way to make power on a normally aspirated car , but not on a turbo car.

Back