HEsitation on gas pedal, feelsl like its gonna stall? I"M goin NUTS!

uwillose2

I tried trouble shotting can't figure it out, and my mechanic has had my car for over a week trying to figure out what the deal is? Basically my car sometimes stalls out when i put it in reverse, and when i hit the gas pedal when it is cold it almost stalls. HOwever when the motor warms up it feels almost normal? ANy ideas?

Set the IAC per GNT-type and swap in a known good MAF, see if that doesn't clear things up.

I would second the MAF suggestion. This drove me up a tree for nearly a year because it was intermittent. I didn't think MAF because I wasn't getting any trouble codes, but as the problem got worse and worse one finally came on, changed to the translator, and it runs better than it has since I got it. Good luck.

I don't think the MAF is your problem, you said it does it when it is cold and quits after it warms up . When the car is in open loop (Cold) the PCM has set voltage #'s it goes by. When the car goes into closed loop (hot) it uses the input sensors (MAF, TP, O2, Coolant etc.) to help control fuel delivery and driveablity.
I would try and output device (Mechanical) such as Cleaning the Throttle Body , Ck. ISC voltage , EGR slightly stuck open at Idle, Check you throttle stop screw. Also when you make your repairs clear your Keep Alive Memory (KAM) buy disconnecting the battery for 10min to relearn fuel curve.

Good Luck.

my car does that also, but i don't know if your's has this problem also. My GN will stall very occasionally, but it seems to do it about once every other week, it's very odd.

Thottle body

Ok, this probably isn't it, but have your mechanic check the condiditon of the throttle body. These cars tend to be sensitive to a dirty throttle body, and when they get "scammer' it will cause the car to stall. Every so often, I take the up-pipe off, manually open the "butterfly" and squirt some Berkely 2+2 down the TB.....keeping a rag at the front of it since the fluid will come back forward and out. You will be amazed at the CRAP in there! AND I bet your throttle response will improve.

Good Luck!

Tom

87WE-4 ;)

ARRRRRH, still haven't figured it out? Checked MAF, TPS, Pressure checks, everything! My plugs have some black color to them, but htey are all the same color. I dont get it? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have the same problem, but not as severe anymore. I did have the cold stall problem until I removed the stock chip and put in the Red Armstrong chip. Now it is a hesitation until warm. I cleaned the TB good last month when I installed the power plate, no change. Sometimes, when warn, I think I feel a slight hesitation, but not sure, very small.

I agree that it is not a sensor, unless the sensor reacts improperly to a temperature change. I also agree with Brian's suggestions about open loop, mainly because I don't fuly understand.

Could it be a vac leak? Temperature dependent?

Why was it reduced dramatically when I put in the chip?
Maybe something the chip does "compensates" somewhat for something that needs repair? (even tho it's not designed to do so.)

This is my second Gn, and my third motor. I havent had one yet that I could completely rid of this problem. Exactly as you describe, seems to get better after warm up but even then still notice it a little. I have tried everything, and am beginning to think its just part of it with these cars.:rolleyes:

I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but mine used to do that also. After my new injectors/chip it was gone... immediate throttle responce!

The first thing I checked was the chip, fiugring since I had a ramchargers 93 in, something might have been messed up with it, but no beans. I'm gonna check some more things tongith and if I still don't figure it out i might have to start chekcing wires i guess? :eek: :confused:

Another variable

One thing I noticed. When I crank up the car with the a/c on, there is no hesitation, even when the engine is cold.

What changes does the computer make to compensate for the a/c compressor on?