Hey guys..new here...have a few tranny questions

fly89gta

well i just wanna first off say HI! i'm new here :)

I have an 89 GTA..350 TPI 700r4...well my plans for next spring(hopefully) will include a turbo 3.8 and a 200-4r.

My question is can i/should i just grab any year 200-4r?

Will one from a Monte Carlo or any other car for that matter work?

My plan is right now...depending on where i can find a turbo 3.8 and for how much...is to build up the 200-4r and slap it behind my 350 till i get the turbo engine...can this be done without problems?

Thanks guys...i hope to be hanging around here more often when i get the drivetrain done :)

Tony,sorry to keep replying to your posts :D

Why would you put the 200R4 in before the motor?Yes you can do it because the 200R4 has dual bolt patterns and will fit both Chevy and BOP motors.

As for the trans,the best advise I can think of is get the motor with trans if you can.It should be a BRF code trans if it's out of a GN or T-Type.

I'm sure someone else here can give you advise on which others trannies are sutable for the task.

Later,
Steve
-------------
1989 Turbo Trans Am's #124 and #850
1989 Turbo GTA
2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Originally posted by TTA850
Tony,sorry to keep replying to your posts :D

Why would you put the 200R4 in before the motor?Yes you can do it because the 200R4 has dual bolt patterns and will fit both Chevy and BOP motors.

As for the trans,the best advise I can think of is get the motor with trans if you can.It should be a BRF code trans if it's out of a GN or T-Type.

I'm sure someone else here can give you advise on which others trannies are sutable for the task.

Later,
Steve

because of the cash flow...unless of course i can get the drivetrain together...if not i was thinking about building the tranny...have that done and in(since the 700r4 isn't 100%) and then get the turbo 3.8 and freshen that up...

Dude you need to get your ass down here to philly...all of us need to chill sometime...

I PUT A TRANS OUT OF A 87' GN IN MY 85' I CANT BELEAVE THE DIFFERENCE. THE 87' TRANS SHIFTS HAAAARD, AND IT IS ALL STOCK.IF YOU CAN FIND A LOW MILE 87' TRANS GO FOR IT.I HAVE NEVER SEEN A STOCK TRANS IN ANY, I MEAN ANY CAR THAT SHIFTS BETTER!