High BLM #'s after New Injectors/PTE Chip/Adj Fuel Reg

V6Turbo

Just installed 50 Lbs Injector along with PTE Chip. New Fuel Regulator is set to 43 PSI. My BLM's are constantly at 150 during Idle and will go down at cruise.

Tearing my hair out looking for vacuum leaks and quick inspection on the Driver Side headers for leaks.

Car had normal readings prior to the injectors/New Chip and Fuel Regulator.

Can the Chip from PTE cause the problem?

Also, can a leak near the boost/vacuum gauge cause the high BLM's?

Thanks in advance.

just spent a week on this exact topic!

get wd40 spray lighlty where the lower injectors meets up with the manifold boss and see if it's leaking through.

Also I plugged all my vacuum hoses on the vacuum block except PCV, Fuel Pressure.

By doing the above I found that my EGR soleniod is bad.

my BLM"s are now bouncing from 131-137 , not perfect but better than 140+ at idle.

Originally posted by 5ltretr
just spent a week on this exact topic!

get wd40 spray lighlty where the lower injectors meets up with the manifold boss and see if it's leaking through.

Also I plugged all my vacuum hoses on the vacuum block except PCV, Fuel Pressure.

By doing the above I found that my EGR soleniod is bad.

my BLM"s are now bouncing from 131-137 , not perfect but better than 140+ at idle.

I just replaced the EGR Solenoid as I accidentally broke one of the nozzles. Do these have problems with quality from the factory? What other methods can I verify if the solenoid is bad?

Thanks,

make sure the check valve in front of the egr sol. is good, if its bad your new soleniod is probably dead.

Not sure how much boost it can take before it breaks but mine broke after several boosted runs. I bought 2 new check valves from Caspers electronics.

What I did was buy some vacuum line plugs, Then plugged up the Steel EGR vacuum line, BLM"s went down.

ScanMaster Readings

Below are my Scan Master Readings:

02: 285-390
MAF: 05
L8: 40-44
Int: 128
BLM: 150
RPM 775
TPS: .46
IAC 36
CC: 02

Thanks,

lower your tps & iac , IAC should be under 30 in drive and around 5-10 in park.

My car likes .41 tps with 41.5LBs of Fuel pressure, whats your FP at?

Did you take your IAC housing off during your install?

Originally posted by 5ltretr
lower your tps & iac , IAC should be under 30 in drive and around 5-10 in park.

My car likes .41 tps with 41.5LBs of Fuel pressure, whats your FP at?

Did you take your IAC housing off during your install?

My pressure regulator is set to 43.5 Lbs (vacuum line off). I think I did revome the whole throttle assembly from the intake to have easy access. I'll re-adjust and see what happens.

Thanks,

sure good luck !

most likely it will be something simple!

check back when you find it

Search high blm's.. I've done plenty.

Any leak will cuase issues. PCV wasnt mentioned. This is a big one.

Myles, yes.. see what happens is every vacuum leak is accounted for in the way the ecm calibrates for fueling. The PCV is a controlled vacuum leak, which means its orfice is a special size. In other words its suppossed to flow X amount of air. Using the wrong PCV valve, or having one thats stuck open..will increase the flow of air through it and throw the numbers off.

I have had plenty cars to work on with blm's in the lower 140's and just by replacing the PCV to an AC Delco one, those numbers on all the cars that have not had AC Delco PCV's, have come down an average of 8-10 points.. to the mid 130's.

Hey this is just experience talking.. it amazes people to see the BLM's drop just with a PCV change. So if the car has a silver/tin colored PCV..its not an AC Delco. AC Delcos are a greenish color.

Along with vacuum block gaskets, plenum gaskets, throttlebody gaskets, bad check valves, bad EGR and charcoal cannister selenoids, etc.

Heres an easy test.. unplug the line from your cruise control while the car is off. You should here the hose PSHHHH due to the vacuum ball. If it doesnt you have a leak.

Lastly cars with the vacuum brake conversions, dont overlook the vacuum brake as a leak.

Done a bunch of these...

Originally posted by Razor

Heres an easy test.. unplug the line from your cruise control while the car is off. You should here the hose PSHHHH due to the vacuum ball. If it doesnt you have a leak.

Hi Razor,

If there is a Cracked Header, will it show up in the "easy test" (unplugging the line to the cruise control) you mentioned above

I did that test, and I do not hear the PSHHHH. Does this elliminate the cracked header as suspect?

Replaced the PCV's with AC, along with the grommet and vacuum hose.

Thanks,

Virgil,
Boy do I have something for you today. Yesterday I had a car to install some 50's on, took the blue tops off..popped in the 50's..fire the car up..bam..bl's at 150. Get another chip's'..same, search for vacuum leaks.. same, replaced PCV, plenum gaskets, checked all air lines...same. Pulled the injectors out, inspected the rubber seals..perfect. cleaned the injector bores.. reinstalled injectors..same..bl's at 150. Played with fuel pressure, swapped MAF's, swapped ecm's from my car, swapped coil pack ign mod, 6 hours.. pulled the injectors out one more time, popped in the blue tops.. bl's at 126..

I got some bad injectors.. now who's paying me for my time :mad:

add one more to the list of what can cuase a high BLM condition.

I wont mention who I got the injectors from..stuff happens.. I just hate when it happens to me.

Thought i'd post..if your cars bl's were ok prior to injectors.. give ya some food for thought.

Check Valves

I pulled 2 of the check valves and I was able to blow air through them. I am suspecting my new EGR Solenoid is toast.

At idle the EGR Solenoid has small amount of suction from the small nipple. Is this normal?

Thanks,

To test the selenoid, apply vacuum via a hand pump to the nipple that goes to the vacuum "T". remove the filter on the back and using your finger, plug the nipple under the foam filter. Apply vacuum and it should hold. If its bad, it will make a farting sound.

Chances its bad if the check valve is bad. Use only GM check valves.

Still High BLM

Replaced the following:
EGR Solenoid,
EGR Gasket,
PCV (AC) and Hose,
Old Hoses. stil get high BLM. Check Valves,

Razor, I

pulled the line that goes into the vacuum ball and I hear a PSHH sound. However, after starting engine and wait 5 minutes or so the PSHHH sound is not present. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance...

Curious about the car you mentioned you diagnosed with the bad injectors.

So basically the injectors were not flowing enough fuel and thats what caused the 150 blm? I would think if they were that jacked up the car would have detonated like hell and ran like crap under any throttle. Kinda weird you would get 6 bad injectors?? Obviously were the problem since you swapped them and the chip out and the problem went away. Just trying to understand how they were failing and wondering if there were any conditions that pointed directly at the injectors. Very unusual. My car has 50's and has slightly high blm's in the low 140's. I think I have eliminated possibility of vaccuum leaks and headers look good. The car gets good mileage and runs good so I just figured it was probably something I could get fixed in the chip someday. Hmmmm.

I just swapped out my original intercooler with a new 15-row, BLM's went from 131 (old intercooler) to 128, sometimes it goes to 126 at idle.

Virgil, with the car off, if you unplug the hose going to your cruise, you will hear the hiss if the vacuum ball is holding vacuum.

Listen, there is only one way to test vacuum lines and accessories..using a Mity Vac vacuum pump with a guage. If the stuff your testing doesnt hold the needle.. then you have your issue.

Again.. not to sound mean or?? just buy the mity vac pump from an auto parts store and learn to use it. Its way cheaper than paying some shop 75 to diagnose and not fix your problem.

turbot2496, If one of the injectors wasnt firing correctly this would cuase one cylinder to be leaner than the others throwing the AFR off cuasing the BL's to climb. I never drove the car, what for.. the bl's at 150..ehhhh.. no pass GO.. what possibley hurt it.. no way. I know better than that.

After spending 6 hours working on a car that should of taken 1-1.5 hours tops..and a customer that had to leave.. no time to figure which was the bad one. So I dropped back and punted.. sent em back.

Sorry for the vent..

Julio