You can type here any text you want

High mileage turbos

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eagleguy

What issues if any can one expect out an 80's turbo once its mileage starts climbing past 75K? Can these higher mileage motors continue to run strong or are major overhauls recommended / needed at some point?

There are plenty of guys running around with over 100k miles on their motors. A few things I would address are the timing chain, rebuild the stock turbo, valve springs, maybe a new OEM front cover and pump, pull the pan and check the pickup tube, rear main seal, thermostat, and radiator. Fix anything that needs attention and put another 100k miles on it. Make sure you have been running and continue to run oil with enough zddp in it if you have a flat tappet cam. If not, you may be in trouble.

My motor was running strong before the rebuild and it had 124k miles. Only issue was a clogged up oil pickup tube causing me to lose oil pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When cars come through and I have to do work on the engines the worst ones almost always are the ones that people have "rebuilt" or have had "new parts" put in. This includes engines with new steel cranks and rods. Very rarely have I seen a decent rebuild. If the owner or a prior owner did any work to the bottom end or a machine shop didn't properly set it up from the beginning it's never a good thing. Most people don't have the tools or know how to handle engine clearances and assembly. There a huge difference between a properly specified and assembled engine and a rebuild. Also cleanliness during assembly is about impossible to achieve at the level the factory did while the stock engine was assembled. I've seen debris behind bearing inserts, rtv everywhere and i mean everywhere including successfully blocking the oil feed to rod bearings, old bearing inserts dropped into the engine and not removed before bolting it together, Plenty of very high mile original engines around. Lots of low mile/use crap in these cars that are a grenade with the pin pulled.

Does mileage dictate price of a mint car in a bi
When cars come through and I have to do work on the engines the worst ones almost always are the ones that people have "rebuilt" or have had "new parts" put in. This includes engines with new steel cranks and rods. Very rarely have I seen a decent rebuild. If the owner or a prior owner did any work to the bottom end or a machine shop didn't properly set it up from the beginning it's never a good thing. Most people don't have the tools or know how to handle engine clearances and assembly. There a huge difference between a properly specified and assembled engine and a rebuild. Also cleanliness during assembly is about impossible to achieve at the level the factory did while the stock engine was assembled. I've seen debris behind bearing inserts, rtv everywhere and i mean everywhere including successfully blocking the oil feed to rod bearings, old bearing inserts dropped into the engine and not removed before bolting it together, Plenty of very high mile original engines around. Lots of low mile/use crap in these cars that are a grenade with the pin pulled.

Would a high mileage well taken care of engine have the same "pep" as a low mileage one?

Does mileage dictate price of a mint car in a bi

Would a high mileage well taken care of engine have the same "pep" as a low mileage one?
If it wasn't overheated, detonated, run low on oil or suffered other operator failures it will last a long time. I've made low 10 high to mid 9 sec power on more than a handful of high mileage stock short blocks. Even at that level they lasted a long time.

Back