You can type here any text you want

Highway run with an 03' Mustang Mach 1

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Nah
low 12s would take a lot of practice on the part of the driver... I am not saying that under the right track conditions...someone could nail down a mid 12 with practice....but on the street were talking real world. The average owner doesn't race his Cobra...but drives it to work and home. It's this majority that will nail mid to low 13s if that. Saying that the majority of drivers will run mid/low 12s on the street...7 days a week is simply fantasy. The Turbo on the other hand is easy to launch on the street with ETs....I could probably teach my mother how to launch my TTA @ 2600 RPMs and nail down a 13.0 flat in about 2 days. The manual car...forget it.

Nah
low 12s would take a lot of practice on the part of the driver... I am not saying that under the right track conditions...someone could nail down a mid 12 with practice....but on the street were talking real world. The average owner doesn't race his Cobra...but drives it to work and home. It's this majority that will nail mid to low 13s if that. Saying that the majority of drivers will run mid/low 12s on the street...7 days a week is simply fantasy. The Turbo on the other hand is easy to launch on the street with ETs....I could probably teach my mother how to launch my TTA @ 2600 RPMs and nail down a 13.0 flat in about 2 days. The manual car...forget it.
How do you know what ET's they'll run on the street? On average, they'll probably run 5-7mph faster than a TTA. Are you really comparing running your TTA on ET Streets to a Cobra on radials? Not really a fair comparison. The same rules that apply to the Cobra apply to your TTA, or any turbo Buick powered car. You're not going to run as quickly on the street as you are on a well prepared track. If you think you will, you're kidding yourself.
'03 Cobras aren't V6 Mustang convertibles. Browse svtperformance.com, or modularfords.com and witness the traffic regarding these cars. I'd bet a significant percentage of owners are enthusiasts who enjoy running the sh*t out of 'em.
S.

70firebird/TTA, that was probably one of the most ignorant things ever said about cars. Believe what you want, but I wouldn't worry about one beating you, I mean, people only drive to the store and work with them, they are great commuter cars. Nobody would buy a 390+ hp car to race or play around in.:rolleyes: Like I said, believe what you want, but when you lose to one, you'll know its true. Some people just can't accept the facts when they are not in their favor.

03 cobras have a good 90-100 hp more than TTA's, stock vs. stock, so why wouldn't they be faster? Like Snorman said, do some research, learning is fun!

Originally posted by Bob Cosby

I do think you're exaggerating just a weeeeeee bit. You raced from 70-115 mph, essentially giving him the jump. This should take you what.....7-8 seconds or so (assuming your car runs mid 11's)? If you started "5 lengths behind", then heard his "motor start howling" (thus the comment about giving him the jump), caught him "in a matter of seconds", then put "bus length after bus length on him ", then I'm afraid either he wasn't racing, or maybe things didn't happen exactly as you recall in your post.

AS SOON as i read this post-----the exact same idea came to mind--i couldn't of said it better.Bus lenghts are pretty long:eek:

Geoff

ok maybe i wasn't exactly 5 car lengths behind the guy...more like 2-3...but as SOON as i saw him nail it i nailed it too and i just flew past him like he was standing still...i would say i was about 10 car lengths in front of the guy when i shut down because i could barely see the guy...i was running 25 lbs of boost...what's not to believe...:rolleyes: some of you guys get too technical

Turboam6
get a grip. this is a hobby...it's not life/death :D
don't take this too personal. No big deal really. Not sure where your coming from...but people around my parts "drive" these cars like they do their ZO6s--to and from work... and YES...not all of the drivers are going to run in the low to mid 12s. I myself don't go around with the big ego thinking my TTA is the baddest thing around...due to the fact it's mostly stock and running 13 flat...($30 chip, cust exhaust, boost set at 17.5 lbs). Because I hear of a Cobra that might run mid 12s AND have a great driver...I am supposed to go run for cover??? comeon. Everybody knows the potential of the Buick Turbo V-6 and the little $$$ and little know how reguired to run high 11s. Fortunately I don't have to pay a mechanic to work on my cars...so you see it really know big deal to me
:p

P/S...I can see it being a big deal for someone who didn't have the mechanical know how and/or had to pay a professional $100 an hour to do the work. I can see this person keeping his GN in the high 13s and running for cover.

BTW
You claim I can't handle someone owning a car faster than my TTA... (I think that's pretty presumptuous on your part) FWIW I own 3 other fun cars in addition to the TTA that are a blast to drive AND DON'T RUN INTO THE 13s. Seems like I am coping better than you think.

;)

1987 IROC daily driver (in process of rebuild) 14.8
1965 Malibu SS (restored) 14.7
70 Firebird 400 (restored) 14.0

No offense...but the Cobra isn't my cup of tee. Since I have been restoring cars for the last 12 years...I am not impressed by some joe dropping huge chuck of change for some fancy toy (an most not knowing where the water pump is located). I would rather sell the Cobra and buy 2 Buick GNs and put the other 25 grand in the bank. Thats just me. :cool:

Hate to break it to some of you, but the Cobra running in the 12's is not that unbelievable. I quarter miled in my Mach I bone stock 13.6 @ 103 mph. I've heard of limited modded Mach I's (chip, air filter, x-pipe) dipping into the low 13's. With that being said (I'm no expert on Cobras, at least I'll admit it) Cobras have to run low 13's stock and could easily break into the 12's. By the way I think I'm addicted to turbo so watch out for this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6755&item=2426697884

;)

70Firebird/TTA,
If you're betting on most '03 owners being limp-wristed, non-enthusiasts who are afraid to drive their car, I'd be willing to be you'll be eating a slice of humble pie at some point or another. I can point to numerous local guys' cars who have run 12's in bone stock '03 Cobras. You're also making an assumption that '03 owners are not mechanically inclined, don't wrench on their cars and don't know how to go fast. I think that's a pretty inaccurate opinion. It seems that most of the '03 owners I've met and those that you see on the internet know what they're driving and know what to do with it. As with any performance car, there will be those that own one and know very little about it.
due to the fact it's mostly stock and running 13 flat...($30 chip, cust exhaust, boost set at 17.5 lbs).
The term "mostly stock" to me doesn't mean a chip, increased boost and exhaust. Any TR owner knows the tremendous benefit of these mods. Have you actually raced your TTA at the track? If so, I'd be willing to bet it isn't running 13.0 on the street. If you want to compare apples to apples, compare to an '03 Cobra with a pulley/chip and catback. It'll make about 450rwhp and probably run 115-118mph. That's pretty close to 11's on a sticky tire. Granted, it'll cost a bit more to get do the same thing on an '03 Cobra, but the return is just as, or more effective.
Everybody knows the potential of the Buick Turbo V-6 and the little $$$ and little know how reguired to run high 11s
I've got some bad news for you...the '03 Cobra motor has more potential than our beloved Buick V6. :( Forged crank and pistons, H-beam rods, iron block, aluminum 4-valve heads, blower specific cams, integrated intercooler, dual intank fuel pumps, 43# injectors, etc. The only thing holding them back from making what I'd consider big power is the limitation of the Eaton blower, which I'm sure Ford chose due to its outstanding reputation for durability (T-bird SC, GM SC'd 3.8, Lightning, etc.). Kenne Bell Cobras are making nearly 600rwhp with a blower swap on 16-17psi of boost. Funny though...all these people that say how "easy" it is to run 11's in a TR aren't doing it.
There are already plenty of 10-second '03's out there. I honestly think alot of owners aren't rushing out to beat on them at the track because it is, after all, a $35k vehicle. Incidentally, adjusted for changes in the consumer price index, the $31,223 MSRP (T-top/leather car) of the 1989 Turbo TA equates to about $46,000 in 2003 dollars. So while your lamenting the fact that the '03 Cobra has an MSRP of $35k, remember that the Turbo TA had an MSRP of over $31k...14 years ago!
You don't have to like the '03 Cobra, but don't be naive about it.
S.

well said...like i posted in the lounge earlier today...i saw two 03's cobras last night and sounded stock and had street tires on...both ran 12.5 and 12.7 at around 110-111 mph...very quick cars...and the price isn't all that bad considering how pricey all other "performance" cars are today...i would take one:)

Back